GL1800Riders Forums banner

An Air Bag?

3K views 52 replies 38 participants last post by  Wallbanger 
#1 ·
I purchased an '06 air bag model and thought that would be just the ticket. We needed to install a sidecar because of our "little surprise". We bought the Dauntless Liberator. What a mistake that was, but that's another long ass story. Anyway, once we can get rid of that pos sidecar, we're heading to Hannigan to have a good sidecar installed. My question is this: Why don't I see many other air bag models mentioned? Was it not one of Honda's better ideas? In fact I don't think I've seen even one mentioned. What do you all know that I don't?

My wife and I both "drive" this rig.

#2 ·
I think most riders just couldn't justify putting out the extra $$$ for the air bag model. Also, Dealers just won't order them. One dealer by my location said he never had one in stock, because he was afraid he couldn't sell it.

#6 ·
Im with John, I would have it in a minute if it were affordable.

#7 ·
You may be mistaken about an 06 airbag model.

They were first introduced in 07. I bought mine in October of 06 just 2 weeks after the announcement.

#8 ·
I didn't think mine was all that much more expensive. If it saves my life, then it was money well spent. If I don't get into a major head-on, I'll be upset for wasting my money. No point in spending the money if I don't get to take advantage of it right? ;)

#9 ·
I agree, if the bike just had abs and an air bag i would pay for the rest as an extra, heated grips etc i really dont want to spend extra on stuff i will never use

#15 ·
Funny airbag and ABS were the only options I didn't want. I already have ABS in a 1997 F350 Ford (2 wheels only). Complete garbage. Also in a 2008 Jeep (4 wheels). Complete garbage x2. Also could be a complete lie, but this guy I know who drove across the country delivering brand new cars to the various dealers told me quite often the airbag would deploy from just the bumpy ride on a trailer, also know a guy who's face looks like he laid on his back for 20 hours staring at the sun and his eyes are swelled up like 50 bees stung him around the area. 10mph collision and air bag deployed in his face and the chemicals didn't agree with him to put it mildly. Stuff worries me personally. What happens if you're going 75mph and hit a big bump in the road? Just imagine if that airbag deployed. I'd be thinking that every mile I rode if I had one. Surely it "can't happen", but I'd still wonder constantly.

#18 ·
Hi Mr. Lurker,

I have an '06 bagger. My wife has an '06 Navi that we triked. The CSC installation shop would have had no problem installing the trike kit on a bagger, EXCEPT, there was no way they could put the easy steer triple tree on the conversion.
Do a search over on the trike forum and you'll find lots of info...

Good Luck,

Lance

#23 ·
I bought an 06 airbag closeout in November 06 and got a good deal on it. Other than not being able to mount anything on the front end or handle bars I Love It.

#25 ·
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm thinking about an 09 ABS. What, if anything, would an Airbag model prevent me from doing with a GL1800? What kind of mods does it preclude? Front suspension upgrades, i.e. Traxxion? Bar risers? I might be willing to consider an Airbagger if it doesn't interfere with any mods I might want to do down the road. As you can tell I am in the process of educating myself prior to purchase. Thanks for any information.

#26 ·
I think the main thing is you can't mount things on your handlebars (e.g. a GPS) that would interfere with the deployment of the bag. I can't see how the Traxxion mods would effect anything because the sensors on the front forks would not be altered. I put risers on my bike and if anything they make more room for the bag to deploy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.