GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8)

Check'em out, comments welcome, this is just phase I and the frame paint job is next but chromers bite a silver bullet first before attackin'!!

And this is what it looked like when we bought it brand spankin' new, looked like it needed help quickly!!! :wink:

A major work in progress but we like it and ride the Hell outta it!! :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Nice work Dave. Is that the bedliner paint you used?

I'm in the process of painting a spare lower cowl for my bike. If I can find a spare set of exhaust cowls, I'll do them too.

Dep

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Redneck Dave said:
8)

And this is what it looked like when we bought it brand spankin' new, looked like it needed help quickly!!! :wink:

A major work in progress but we like it and ride the Hell outta it!! :wink: :flg:
That's a nice looking Wing, but those state inspection stickers sure are ugly. I have never understood why some states require all of those stickers. Why can't they just have one small stickers on the license plate.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Redneck Dave said:
8)

Check'em out, comments welcome, this is just phase I and the frame paint job is next but chromers bite a silver bullet first before attackin'!!

A major work in progress but we like it and ride the Hell outta it!! :wink:

Hey Redneck, I like it, you obviously understand something that most don't or won't. Less is more, when it comes to chrome that is. 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8)

tvbveb,
Nice lookin' ride ya have there. :wink: I headin' that way or maybe beyond, the chromers can do their thing and I'll be ridin' while they are polishin' and frettin' over how good their Wing 'll look in the sun for the pics. :roll: I'd rather ride it like I snatched it away from some smart guy who hates to polish. 8) :lol:
I still have Phase III to go and that may be done before it gets cold around here and I'll have to post the updates.
I really thought I'd get some flame spray on me from ignorin' me because I'm an independant kinda guy. 8)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Looks very nice. :clap2: :yes1:

·
Registered
600 Posts
West Virginia allows the inspection sticker (on Motorcycles only) to be concealed as long as it is attached to a perment part of the bike like inside the trunk lid.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Dave,

Looks good, man. That truck bed liner stuff does well.

Keep up the good work.

See ya sometime.

Bob E.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I love the color...Titanium,,,it's the smothest color.......but my GOD WHAT are those ugly ice cream stickers on the side ????????? that sure ruins your ride!!!!!....Other than the butt ugly stickers...she looks sweet....I'll bet she is ral smooth....did I mention that Titanium is the smoothest !!!!!!!!!............. :lol:

P

·
0 Posts
Redneck Dave said:
8)

tvbveb,
Nice lookin' ride ya have there. :wink: I headin' that way or maybe beyond, the chromers can do their thing and I'll be ridin' while they are polishin' and frettin' over how good their Wing 'll look in the sun for the pics. :roll: I'd rather ride it like I snatched it away from some smart guy who hates to polish. 8) :lol:
I still have Phase III to go and that may be done before it gets cold around here and I'll have to post the updates.
I really thought I'd get some flame spray on me from ignorin' me because I'm an independant kinda guy. 8)

You think chrome has to be polished? No wonder ya hate the stuff.
But that sure is one great looking bike.

Pat

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GWH3,
Ya mean those DOD base stickers?? A retired Squid has to have those to get to his slimey defense contractor job and when I'm out & about nowhere near a military facility I like to be able to keep my real identity a secret. :wink:
The base rent-a-cops don't like 'em bein' in that position but they only have to be attached to a permanent part of the Wing and I took the directive literally. 8)
Thanks fellas and for Bob, the Admiral says we'll be headin' yer way soon. :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
You are my hero.
I have an 02 silver and I want to black out some lower parts and wheels.
Front cowl, and bottom exhaust.. What color did you get. Is it black gloss, semi, or powdercoat? Side covers. Do they just paint over the chrome?

I'm asking because some parts are plastic, metal and I want to know if the shades of black are consistant.

Can you give me a ballpark figure on how much it costs to have these things done?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You chrome haters kill me.

No chrome, but mile high windshields, silly ass dash carpets, and gps units big enough for Helen Keller.

Yep, that's stylin........... :lol: :lol:

BTW, my 39 month old 03 has 73K + on it, which is way more than lots of you non-polishers.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
mr.b said:
BTW, my 39 month old 03 has 73K + on it, which is way more than lots of you non-polishers.
Careful mr. b, on this and other GL1800 boards you are always going to find a lot of owners with a lot more miles and in far less time.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

DaleC

·
Registered
756 Posts
I like the trunk rack paint. I may do that to mine also. Looks like it would be an alternative to powder coating. What did you do to prep it prior to paint?

On a lighter note: What is it with you retired squids that can't get away from the "Haze gray and underway thing" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
mr.b said:

No chrome, but mile high windshields, silly ass dash carpets, and gps units big enough for Helen Keller.

So let me ask you Mr B his options all DO SOMETHING. Other than rust, peel,pit and add weight-what does your PLASTIC Chrome looking accessories do?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
laen said:
mr.b said:

So let me ask you Mr B his options all DO SOMETHING. Other than rust, peel,pit and add weight-what does your PLASTIC Chrome looking accessories do?
Hey laen - He asked for opinions, didn't he??

You know if you could afford to deck your bike out, you would!!

You hate chrome, but wear and sell pins. Bet you have quite a decked out vest huh??? :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:shock:

This was supposed to be informative to the folks that are like myself and DO HAVE A CHROME FETISH !!! Some y'all are gettin' less than smart here but hey that's what some folks do. :roll: :twisted:

And for mr.b,
if ya don't like it too damn bad, go read somebody else's posts and add yer crap. :roll: :twisted:

The way I have done my project is as follows:
Prep by scratchin' up the surface startin' with a fine grit sand paper and movin' to somethin' rougher when needed, my highest # was 220.
Wipe it down with somethin' that evaporates well and leaves no trace, I used rubbin' alcohol (PD-680/Dry Cleaning Fluid is what I used to use).
Use a sandable auto body primer that supports whatever color that will be the final color, as in black primer for the black bed liner spray paint I used for mine.
Most of my parts got 5-7 light coats, the paint dries well in 30-45 minutes and looks good after the first coat for any fixes that may need done.
The luggage rack got special attention, I used foam sanding blocks after usin' my drill with different sized rotary sandin' drums to take off the already peelin' cheap crap chrome (not a bust on Hal where I bought it). The final deal on the luggage rack was the 3 coats of matte clear which was a big deal to me since I actually use mine for our rack bag for rain gear and stuff for travelin'.
So far so good, it gets looks and positive feedback from riders plus non-riders who think the functional thing is great. :wink:

Also check this website out, I got my thought process start from Jeff.

http://www.jeffswing.com/main.html

Yea GP,
I'm kinda stuck with this mentality but I'm glad I can say that only because I like havin' the word "mentality" associated with my name!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts