GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A dear friend of ours had a diabetic reaction last year while riding and drove right off the road. His Gl1500 was totaled which was his pride and joy. Fortunately he has recovered quite well, and today we get to see his new white GL1800. We are so excited for him. There's not a place he goes that he doesn't try to ride. He has such a passion for riding, and we thank God that he can continue to do so, and now in real style.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Gary & Mikey,

I know how much this day means to you. I am very happy for everyone concerned.

You have seen first hand, what diabetes can do to a person.

Tell Don that he can be damned lucky that he is not riding his new "White" wing here in NY. The snow plows would just come up behind him, and push him over the side.

What a great reunion!

Bulldog & Meesh

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Approximately 2 1/2 yrs. ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Really came as a shock as I wasn't overweight ( 6'-180 lbs. ), was very active, and had no family history of diabetes. When I was tested my blood glucose readings were in the 400 range. Needless to say I was devastated and thought that my riding days were over. Up to this point I had been riding for 40 yrs. My medical plan is through Kaiser and their diabetes clinic is nothing short of fantastic. First thing they did was enroll me in some classes so I could understand the disease and also taught us how and when to test and also what our diet should consist of. While I have had to change my riding habits somewhat ( being aware of when I ate last and when my medication is due ) and also testing while I am out on the road, things haven't really changed that much.
Diabetes is a very serious disease, and should not be taken lightly. The long term effects if you do not keep your blood sugar under control can mean all the difference in the quality of your life.
I urge all you riders out there who have diabetes to take the time to understand this disease and do all you can to keep it in check.
Cheers!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Type II diabetes

:crew: I too was shocked by the same diagnosis and very promptly set out to find out everything I could about the control of blood sugar and the causes of diabetes. My doctor put me on a low carb no sugar program.
I wasn't a drinker so didn't have to give up anything other than chocolate, pasta, bread, potatos. So far I have lost 48 lbs and managed to control my diabetes with minor diet changes. They started me off with glucotrol tab each day but found that it caused low blood sugar problems, at present I am on no meds but have to be careful about what I eat.

Doctor says if I lose another 20 lbs I should be in the clear. Started at 248 lbs 6 ft and am now 200 still six foot... :p :D :) :a13: :a13:

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Billenox
Good for you....looks like you are doing the right things to keep your blood sugar under control. I applaud you for your efforts.
I have a friend who is in denial and just won't accept the fact that he has diabetes.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Billenox,
Good for you!! I have tried the diets that the ADA puts out as well as some that the Doctor has given me and they just don't seem to work. I don't lose any weight and my HA1C still stays at about 7.9. I quit drinking completely on 5/30/03 and have noticed the following: I have gained 10 lbs, fasting blood sugars have gone up to an average of 190 from 180 and HA1C went from about 7.6 to 7.9.....

I'm so glad to hear when one of us can control it by diet and exercise, that's great!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ditto on the good for you billenox! I was also diagnosed with type II diabetes this year. I was taking a combination drug called metaglip. It controlled the diabetes, but I still had problems staying away from food. At 460 lbs I made a very difficult decision . . . to take my own weakness for food out of the picture and regain my health. I had a gastric bypass operation a month ago (Nov 6). I have already lost 43 lbs. My blood sugar normalized, so I lost the meds. BP is already normal also. Doc says I shouldn't need metaglip again, as long as the sugar doesn't go over 150.
I'm hoping for a 200 lb. loss. My wing will feel like a different machine without all of the extra baggage!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Glad to hear he is not giving up riding. I was diagnosed about twenty years ago, kept it under control with diet and exercise, finally had to go to pills, then came the insulin. The one thing being diabetic does for you - If you are going to take care of yourself, you lessen all the body shocks we had become acustomed to. No more binge drinking, no more skipping breakfast, unhealthy foods take a hike, etc In my case, even the tobacco went out the door. The bad news is diabetes is progressive and will get worse. The good news is how fast it gets worse is in our control. I am very consious of what my blood sugar is every time I start any vehicle, when I go to bed, when it is time to eat, and get double careful if I feel like I am under any pressure. After living with it this long, I feel if you have to get a serious health problem, pick diabetes - at least you have control over how it advances. Beats the heck out of kidney failure, heart failure, or cancer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts