GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on my '79 GL1000. Been wanting to try an experiment of using Ford TFI modules triggered by the points to handle the coil current and dwell. So, today I finished up the wiring (well, I need to make it neater). Preliminary testing was good as it fired right up when I switched from normal ignition to the TFIs. But, then I ran out of gas so further work would wait until I got a petcock kit to repair a weepy petcock.

So, today (after a second repair to the coolant system) I got a chance to test it, at least setting in the drive. Roads are too wet and my driveway to slippery right now to try riding. Also, I'm grand dog sitting a 13 year-old pup with a sore shoulder. It starts and idles well as long as battery voltage is up. I don't think there is enough to fire through the modules if the voltage sags to around 10 volts. With a fully charged battery, it is good. Hoping that the roads will be dry soon so I can give it a real try.

Anyway, it all connects via the six-prong plug on the front of the wiring interface. Just unplug the connector, plug the male from the TFIs into the box and the female into the cable that goes to the coils. Then unplug the condensers from the double connector near them. That's it! if a module should crap out all I'll have to do is swap back (takes less than a minute). I've read about the modules being used on drag cars. The main thing to worry about is cooling, and feel that the 1/2" aluminum blocks that sandwich the aluminum shower door rail with Arctic Cool heat transfer paste should carry away heat pretty well. Still I plan to scan them with an IR thermometer as soon as I can stress them. I see that I also need to re-route some of the cables going into the front of the interface. More PO fun!

The new white plugs go to the TFIs (yellow wire to the 1&2 Right coil, Blue to 3 & 4 Left coil). Red wires power the units from the old coil power feed that still jumpers to the coils and black leads to ground. Ballast resistor is jumpered in the plug as the TFI limits coil current to safe levels.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another ~50 miles RT on Tuesday and still running fine. Re-timed yesterday and fired it up today to run gas out of the carbs. ran even better! I've put together a pdf of how I did it, wiring specific and all.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Nathan, you do good work. 👍🏼

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I all but fried the TFI modules with a regulator that let the buss voltage go to ~17.8 VDC. Went back to points (for now - just swap the connections and plug in the condensers) and installed a cheapo reg/rect that seems to be maintaining a steady 14.8 (also installed a digital voltmeter in place of the analog). I will switch back to the TFIs come Spring. Hopefully not damaged, but if they are replacements are fairly cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts