GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the difficulty of accessing the air filter for replacement it seems like something that could tell you the current flow-rate status of your filter would be useful. I know a stock Dodge diesel pickup I owned a few years ago had one of these. It measures the air filter restriction with a manually resettable indicator. It "remembers" the highest level of restriction since the last reset.

Don't know where you'd mount it - maybe in the storage cubby. I bet many bikes could go 40k miles on a filter if they seldom used dusty roads.

http://filterminder.com/products/vi...r-filter-restriction-gauge-grommet-mount.html

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Or a cheap "Pre-Filter" with easy access, "Blocks no CFM's" Like on my lawnmower, commercial equipment, trucks, ect.

I have one on my air conditioner, change it every month or whatever.

Either mount on intake horn's where some put screens or on outer intake plastic grates on older models.

Most m/c's it would not be necessary, but the wing. oh yea!!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
There is already a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor on the bike. By going to wide open throttle at a high rpm, readings could be compared over time to see if the filter is restricting air flow. We need a device to read the CAN bus data and send it to a smart phone. Several are available for vehicles with OBD ports.

·
Registered
363 Posts
On my ST1300 I had the same AF change frequency as the GW. In 130K I put 3 filters on it. The last one close to 50K. Honda's recommendation is 16K and that covers it for those that live on dirt roads and similar. I am on dirt roads in less than 1% of my riding, so I will ride the GW until I see the mileage drop or a performance decrease prior to having the filter changed.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I can assure you that changing the air filter without Fred’s or Chris’s videos will be almost impossible! There are so many allen bolts, push pins, and plastic tabs to remove you’re head will spin! :frown2:

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
My aftermarket idea would be an upgrade to an external air box with a hinged door or peg in grommet door for NORMAL change effort. Then leave the internal air box either empty, or fitted with vortex creating baffles IF necessary. The external air box could be stylish and the intake ducts hidden in the cowling strategically.

On my ST1300 I had the same AF change frequency as the GW. In 130K I put 3 filters on it. The last one close to 50K. Honda's recommendation is 16K and that covers it for those that live on dirt roads and similar. I am on dirt roads in less than 1% of my riding, so I will ride the GW until I see the mileage drop or a performance decrease prior to having the filter changed.
I ride dirt/gravel roads periodically and the only time that seems to contribute to dust at the intake area of the bike is if I am following someone. The roads I am talking about get very sparse traffic, so its not a problem. I think busy freeway highways contribute more to the dirt load.

I can assure you that changing the air filter without Fred’s or Chris’s videos will be almost impossible! There are so many allen bolts, push pins, and plastic tabs to remove you’re head will spin! :frown2:[/QUOTE

Who is Cris? Is that Cruiserman? The videos help, especially with the tips for what to take notice of and how to keep track of routing and accounting for similar, yet different fasteners; but use a service manual too.

prs

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

My thoughts too :agree:

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
How about a manufacturer that made access to a filter in less than 2 hours labor

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I have never looked at how the Japanese the Air Filters in their homes, but you would think... SOMEONE would be smart enough in all of Honda's epic engineering department...

IDK why Honda continues to build the motorcycle around the air filter, and I thought the 2001-2017's were bad to get to. They are a walk in the park compared to the current generation.:smile2:
The 2018-9 are nearly impossible.:frown2:
Maybe a new bike every 30 to 50K.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I guarantee you the air filter job at the stealership is going to be $400+ just for the labor!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I guarantee you the air filter job at the stealership is going to be $400+ just for the labor!
Well I can guarantee you I’m not paying that to change an air filter. I’ll learn how to do it myself out of stubbornness alone, no matter how hard it is.

I’ll give this one to Harley, their air filters are easily changed within a few minutes, while holding a cold beverage in one hand no less! Honda really should have designed something as important as the air filters to be more accessible.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a follow-up idea about how to install the filterminder gauge unit. I think you could hook it up to the drool tube that drains the air box. There's no need to leave it permanently installed but anytime you thought you should check the air filter status you'd take the cap off the end of the drool tube and hook up the filterminder on a temporary basis. Once the filterminder is installed, take a hard run a WOT. Stop the bike and check the filterminder. It will be stuck at the highest vacuum it has seen, which is an actual measurement of how badly the air filter is blocked. If it's in the red zone a filter replacement is in order, otherwise put it off a while longer. Might have to rig up some kind of vacuum hose fitting and maybe zip tie the hose to something while you took the test ride.

This ought to be the standard procedure at a dealer. Maybe not the specific hook-up of the filterminder to the drool tube but some actual measurement that would probably postpone the need for a very expensive job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts