GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some post about removing the top shelter for CB installation, and wandering what to do with all the bolts, I had the idea of coloring each size a different color. I took colored sharpies(you can get them at Walley World), & colored each sized bolt a different color. Then I put a colored dot, by each bolt pictured in the service manual. Hope maybe this will help somone from getting their bolts all mixed up. It sure will help me.
http://www.angelfire.com/in4/wingnut

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Verdayne,

I am glad we don't have to deal with "NUTS" when we take the TS off. Just imagine, riding around the globe with painted nuts. :lol:

Your Idea is a good one!

Bulldog

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
your idea sounds great but I took a different approach. I took a 10" piece of scrap 2x6 and drilled holes for all the bolts and rivets to remove the top shelter then just arange them in a easy to remember order for reassembly, works good too. :yw1:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds like a good way to remember where all the bolts and nuts go but you really don't have to remove the top shelter to plug in the CB when you install it. Just remove the right pocket and lift the shelter, it's very flexible and this will save you a lot of time.

.. Sue

·
Registered
276 Posts
Here's a tip I got from Fred Harmon last year in Marble Falls...

Number the bolts (before you take them out) from top to bottom with a small sharpie, works great and you can just throw them in a small box or container while your ripping into the machine.

One you've done it a few times you'll know the bolts by the feel. And like Bulldog said no riding around with colored nuts...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use several zip lock bags. I write on the bag with a sharpie where what ever type of bolts in it goes, and also what Honda calls the piece they go with. When I'm done working on the bike I keep the empty zip lock bags in the service manual. I like the color or number idea too.

I'm also finding as a get older it helps to take digital pics as I take some thing apart so I can remember how it was before I started messing with it.
Now if I could just remember to take the pics before I take it apart :banghead:

:rat: Bake

G

·
How The Plan" to keep up with all those screws really works!

I approached my task to install new speakers & amp with surgical precision. My scientific approach and organization exceeded my own expectations.

Checked to make sure I received all the hardware for the new amp & speakers. Put hardware in separate colored plastic bowls.

Had a separate colored bowls for each area(meter panel, faring pockets, speakers, seat, etc) to hold all the screw, bolts, washers, snaps as I took them off.

Had sheet tarp on tarp to lay out the big pieces.

Laid sheets over painted areas to prevent any scratches.

Cleaned all dust and dirt as I went (especially under the seat)

Fought my natural instincts and followed EC's great instructions step by step (in order), double checking each step.

Finished the hookup with little trouble and sounds great.

Convinced my SO (Annette for those who haven't met her) to be my assistant as I put "Sweet Thang" back together.

As I was about to install the last 2 screws on the last speaker, my assistant proclaimed "I just came out here and haven't touched anything and I think you are missing a screw." :eek:4: Wonder why she is so quickly became defensive? Hmmm, must have blamed her in the past.

Not to worry though, after a little thought (hurts sometimes), I remembered: I needed washers to hold in the Polk speakers and had searched through my many (at least 1,000,000) scews.bolts & washers and could not find the right ones(NOW KEEP THIS STEP IN THE BACK OF YOUR MIND, I SHOULD HAVE). So I took one of the speaker screws (in a zip lock bag) and I went to the hardware store to get washers to hold in the Polk speakers. Found the plastic bag and the missing speaker screw. Whew, dodged that bullet! :eek:ops2:
After installing my last speaker screw, my assistant asked "where does this screw go?".:hun1:

I exclaimed "screw, what screw?" :cus:

"ON NO, THE PHANTOM SCREW" :banghead:

I went over "Sweet Thang" top to bottom checking every step and everywhere I had been, but no clue & at least an hour wasted. Time for a nap!

Must have a gone back out and looked 50 times. Over dinner, I stated one more time, "where could that screw go". My assistant had change to my wife and said "I'm tired of hearing about that screw. Give it to me and I'll take care of it." Got the hint and dropped the subject.

Well, after blaming Fred, the wife, every Texas 1800 gathering rider, terrorists, I called Dick McCulley and Fred Harmon for ideas, but still no solution for " THE PHANTOM SCREW" :banghead: Gave up and went to bed.

Up at 4:15 and what was the first thing on my mind " THE PHANTOM SCREW" :banghead:

I began to analyze the "THE PHANTOM SCREW" :banghead: Then it struck me - washer, this thing has a washer! Looked through my many(I mean MANY!, must be 1,000,000) nuts, bolts, washers, etc and there was another " PHANTOM SCREW" :banghead:

Duh!, must dropped it's bother " THE PHANTOM SCREW" :banghead: in the bowl with the speaker screws when I was looking for the right washer.

·
Registered
634 Posts
all those bolts

how about a cheap plastic ice cube tray. put all the same size bolts in the same cube.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I use a magnetic mechanics tray. Just set the bolts in the tray head first and in the order you removed them. Simple!
**** :yw1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts