GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have watched Ryan from FORT9 and his Motovlogs for some time now and if nothing else he is entertaining.
He does get some things wrong but at least he actually walked the walk and not just trash talked.

I have run CT's for many years and ten of thousands of miles and don't feel the need to have anyone else think my way about anything. I just put this up here for the entertainment for others.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Thanks for posting. He scared the crap out of me. I can't wait to get that P1 off my bike. He was more convincing than the BMW rider that tried to tell me that the altitude in the western mountains was going to cause the bead to melt and I would have a rapid loss of air. That had me worried the first time I had a CT on my bike when I went out west. I guess I have been really lucky. Also I haven't been crossing myself every time I get on the bike either.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I tried a CT for a couple of months a few years ago. I live in a place with very few straight roads and lots of turns. I didn't like the feel of having to push the handle bars harder to make the turns so I switched back. Those of you who like them, more power to you, just not for me and my style of riding.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've run a car tire on my bike (Suzuki - bought used and it came with it) and it did handle like crap. Put a motorcycle tire on it and it was a different bike. Car tire - dancing with a fat chick with 2 left feet. Motorcycle tire - dancing with Jennifer Lopez.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I've run a car tire on my bike (Suzuki - bought used and it came with it) and it did handle like crap. Put a motorcycle tire on it and it was a different bike. Car tire - dancing with a fat chick with 2 left feet. Motorcycle tire - dancing with Jennifer Lopez.
Does that mean you're not going to ever run a car tire again?

·
DSI Keeper
9,126 Posts
Coming from the flat lands of West Virginia, I completely agree with your assessment.

I tried a CT for a couple of months a few years ago. I live in a place with very few straight roads and lots of turns. I didn't like the feel of having to push the handle bars harder to make the turns so I switched back. Those of you who like them, more power to you, just not for me and my style of riding.

·
IronMan
17,175 Posts
NOT FOR EVERYONE . GOOD FOR YOU FOR TRYING! WE ALL GOT CHOICES . ENJOY N BE SAFE !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does that mean you're not going to ever run a car tire again?
I am not a yearly high mileage rider so (for me) I don't think I will try a car tire on my bike and will grudgingly accept the low mileage of motorcycle tires. I would like to ride someone's bike who has darksided their bike to eval the handling. At least on my current bike it really changed the feel of the bike.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have watched Ryan from FORT9 and his Motovlogs for some time now and if nothing else he is entertaining.
He does get some things wrong but at least he actually walked the walk and not just trash talked.

I have run CT's for many years and ten of thousands of miles and don't feel the need to have anyone else think my way about anything. I just put this up here for the entertainment for others.
Thanks for posting this. I watch his channel and like his approach to all his evaluations, generally. Very straight forward and quasi-quantitative. So I was gonna post this too and just ask darksiders if they thought it was more or less accurate. From the postings so far sounds like it is. I've never run a CT so I have no experience with that and was just looking for more input--not bashing or supporting either viewpoint. I like the idea of having a run flat tire on the bike.

I will say that on my H-D Ultra Classic, by the time I sold it the rear tire was pretty flatted out from lots of long interstate trips. Compared to my GL with the MT the Harley needed to be pushed through the turns much more, and after a ride on it, taking the GL out on the same roads the ride felt like a hot knife going through butter.

Now I'm thinking maybe 2 wheels for the back: MT for daily rides here in hilly, twisty S.E. Ohio and CT for my long haul trips.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I watch his channel and like his approach to all his evaluations, generally. Very straight forward and quasi-quantitative. So I was gonna post this too and just ask darksiders if they thought it was more or less accurate. From the postings so far sounds like it is. I've never run a CT so I have no experience with that and was just looking for more input--not bashing or supporting either viewpoint. I like the idea of having a run flat tire on the bike.
I don't DS either. The vid showed info, but no deep dive into the DS. One possible DS failure he mentioned, that I have never heard of happening, was the bead not holding. Yes, I know the CT bead doesn't fit as well as a MC bead. In my decades of reading DS discussions on various forums, never read a first hand account of a bead failure and the tire coming off.

I thought his pro/con was good. And to paraphrase one of his final comments, motorcycling is already dangerous, and riders accept some risk just in the act of riding.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yeah, I thought it was balanced, and I honestly did learn some things. Including, don't put a chair in the middle of a seemingly empty Vancouver street. LOL

·
Registered
274 Posts
I like the video. Thanks for posting. To the naysayers I also would say..
"Shove it up your big boy pants" No more donflops for me. 100K plus MC miles and going on CTs. DS 722

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I too have watched a number of F9 videos and I like his style most of the time. I liked this video, especially his drawings of the contact between the tire and the rim. However, IMO, his analysis of how a CT deforms when dealing with cornering forces is not what I see. From my observation the tire maintains its profile and flattens out on the "edge" of the tire, and that was not at all what he had on his board. I also don't find the motion of the rear tire as it follows the grooves / ruts to be anything close to causing the front end to break away. Thirdly, I don't find the tire's tendency to stand the bike up anything close to what he described. It does not require any real force to keep the bike laid over. I frequently do it with one hand and I think I could do it with one finger.

Lastly, I think he minimized the tire failure problem we have with MTs on Goldwings and minimized the run flat capability of the tire.

Even with all that said, I remember my first Michelin CT. I expected it to handle just like a motorcycle tire and I was very dissatisfied with it. I did not think it was even close to a MT in how it handled and I quickly took it off. I later found out that my expectations were not realistic and I was using too little tire pressure. My second tire was a Yoko, and I liked it much better. I now have a SnowControl on my motorcycle and I think it turns much easier than the Yoko Avid Envigor. I do think the SnowControl works better with a few more PSI than the Yoko needs though.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
One thing not mentioned so far, is the variance between CTs. If the only CT I tried was the first one, a Dunlop Winter Sport, I probably woulda went back to MTs. From the first mile, it required extra effort to heel over, and conscious counter steering push/pull on the handlebar in curves. However, with the next CTs (Bridgestone Drive Guard and Pirelli Snow Control) 90 percent of the Dunlop's uglies were gone. For anyone curious, I suggest Pirelli SC or P1 as a first try. If you don't like the Pirelli, you ain't gonna like any CT.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Toward the end of the vid he also mentioned after about 10 minutes of riding, he was used to the CT's handling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts