GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well,
The CT's been pro'd and con'd for ever. To me, it's a simple choice, use one if it works and you like it, or, DON'T.
Scott

·
Registered
84 Posts
I won't even get started......nobody wants to hear what I think. Really.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
This has been on the DS forum for a couple days.

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
Keep trying to convince yourself. I have tried it and MT are much better. Let's see if they were better every roadracer would be using them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Keep trying to convince yourself. I have tried it and MT are much better. Let's see if they were better every roadracer would be using them.
Didn't watch the video and most likely won't. It's been making the rounds on several sites. Been removed from some.
Myself, I haven't gone to a CT-(yet), but a roadracer has quite different requirements than most any Wing rider and not much comparison. Don't see any two up racers, loaded with cargo getting (ten) thousands of miles between tire changes, bouncing thru potholes, etc. When they race in the rain it's different tires than when dry. Or hot/cold. There are many more variables out on the road in my travels.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Oddly, I "discovered" that video today, unaware that it was popping up on various forums.

I like the scientific/engineering explanations on the physics of using a car tire vs a motorcycle tire on a motorcycle. At least I now know why it's not a good idea FOR ME.

I have no dog in this hunt. Folks should (and will) use whatever they want.

Tim

·
Registered
309 Posts
I watched the video on another post close to this one. I don't care what people use on their motorcycles it's up to them. But I did learn something watching this video and I can use this extra information to make my own decision on an MT or CT.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I watched the video on another post close to this one. I don't care what people use on their motorcycles it's up to them. But I did learn something watching this video and I can use this extra information to make my own decision on an MT or CT.
JMHO but I don't think this video is a good example to make the determination of weather to go dark side or not. First off the tire he was using for the video had a lot flatter profile than some CT's he could have used such as a P1. He was using it on a lot lighter bike than a GL1800 and it looked like he had too much air in it to me. I run 28 to 30 lbs in my P1 and on my bike. I think it is stickier in the curves than a MC tire. I know I trust it more. I don't even notice any added effort to get the bike to change directions if there is any. The only con I have is it does tend to seek the bottom of the ruts on some roads but to me that is a minor problem. As for the statement that his bike wanted to stand up in the curves. It may be true for his application but not true for mine. Before you decide if you don't want to jump in and buy a tire. See if you can borrow one from a fellow rider. I have never put a CT on a fellow riders bike and had him take it off because he didn't like it.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Oddly, I "discovered" that video today, unaware that it was popping up on various forums.

I like the scientific/engineering explanations on the physics of using a car tire vs a motorcycle tire on a motorcycle. At least I now know why it's not a good idea FOR ME.

I have no dog in this hunt. Folks should (and will) use whatever they want.

Tim
I agree, I'm sure we're in the minority since this has been moved to the Darkside forum, likewise , it makes no difference to me what anyone chooses to put on THEIR motorcycle. But it do seem to be a reluctance to acknowledge that there is a notable decline in handling. I've been experimenting with one on one of my motorcycles for about a year now. It is the tire most recommended on a Darkside forum for that motorcycle. I'm convinced if that was the only motorcycle I rode that I would adapt to it and it would be fine, but riding other motorcycles equipped with motorcycle tires, highlights just how deficient the handling with a car tire is. I will be replacing the tire before spring.

·
Registered
309 Posts
As noted I said "extra information". Everything I read on this site to me is extra information about making a choice to or not to use a car tire, buy a product to clean my bike, make it more ridable, Etc . After I had Fred put on a full-blown T-Dynamics suspension on my bike, there is no way I would put a car tire on. The handling of a motorcycle tire is what I need for my motorcyling pleasure. I like putting new tires on my motorcycles,cars or whatever. I love the way a the new tires feel. Freedom of information and choice is the best, and I get a bunch on this site. Looking forward to that first ride again this spring. Bruce

·
Administrator
4,025 Posts
I agree, I'm sure we're in the minority since this has been moved to the Darkside forum, likewise , it makes no difference to me what anyone chooses to put on THEIR motorcycle. But it do seem to be a reluctance to acknowledge that there is a notable decline in handling. I've been experimenting with one on one of my motorcycles for about a year now. It is the tire most recommended on a Darkside forum for that motorcycle. I'm convinced if that was the only motorcycle I rode that I would adapt to it and it would be fine, but riding other motorcycles equipped with motorcycle tires, highlights just how deficient the handling with a car tire is. I will be replacing the tire before spring.
It was moved to the darkside because it, well, TALKS about the darkside. Has nothing to do with minorities/majorities..... Personally, it's no-ones business whether I'm a C/T or M/T guy. And speaking for ALL the mods, I don't feel any of us allow our own personal feeling to enter into a decision-making process. Off my soap-box now. Sorry.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
It was moved to the darkside because it, well, TALKS about the darkside. Has nothing to do with minorities/majorities..... Personally, it's no-ones business whether I'm a C/T or M/T guy. And speaking for ALL the mods, I don't feel any of us allow our own personal feeling to enter into a decision-making process. Off my soap-box now. Sorry.
No need to be sorry, I Wasn't questioning why it was moved or anyone's choice to ride with a CT. My understanding of the video was a guy pointing out the pros and cons of riding with a car tire. It could be useful information to anyone trying to make an informed decision. I was just stating the fact that moving it to the Darkside obviously puts it in a section of the forum that is biased towards car tires, not much in the way of opposing view points here. Anyone wanting to here the Pros and the Cons won't hear them here, most people who have tried a CT and didn't like it, probably would not be logging on to the Darkside section of the forum, there would be no reason to. I would have never seen this thread if it had not first been posted in the general discussion.

·
Administrator
4,025 Posts
good point. Thanks. Seriously, guess I was just thinking if someone was thinking of going this route, this would be the forum they'd migrate to. Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the history of a lack of credible problems from running a CT speaks for itself.
The real issue with CTs is warranty coverage on the bike. Harley shops whimper and whine about the CT being on my bike, 2016 Road Glide with no engine mods and recently refused to repair my bike on the extended warranty plan without even diagnosing the problem. I recently talked to a Honda rep and they say CT are no problem unless of course I was running a truck tire and rim on the bike. That in itself kinda reveals a point about Harleys. They are already on the fringe of mechanical failure and any changes may push them beyond.

·
Love The DCT
11,393 Posts
I think the history of a lack of credible problems from running a CT speaks for itself.
The real issue with CTs is warranty coverage on the bike. Harley shops whimper and whine about the CT being on my bike, 2016 Road Glide with no engine mods and recently refused to repair my bike on the extended warranty plan without even diagnosing the problem. I recently talked to a Honda rep and they say CT are no problem unless of course I was running a truck tire and rim on the bike. That in itself kinda reveals a point about Harleys. They are already on the fringe of mechanical failure and any changes may push them beyond.
I’m surprised you found a Honda rep that would tell you that a “CT are no problem.” Every Honda rep I’ve encountered at the district level and above say “no” to CT’s and towing trailers.
?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts