GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just my opinion and I'd like to see what people think. I think with this new design of the GW Honda should have went to a digital speedometer. What I have found is that it is much easier to look at a digital number and process it than to look at a analog speedo and process where the needle is on the numbers. On my Tiguan it has a analog and a digital speedo. I never look at the analog speedo. I prefer to look at the digital number.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You won't get a lot of support for digital readouts from members here. This topic has been discussed previously. The majority of comments were strongly opposed to digital.

My previous bike was a 2014 BMW R1200RT that had analog and digital speed readouts. My Audi has both analog and digital speed readouts. I rely primarily on the large digital display, which to my aged eyes, are easier to see.

If the world was perfect, my '19 Wing would also have a digital display to complement the analog speedometer, but it doesn't. Oh well.

Tim

·
Registered
89 Posts
I prefer analog in this case, because I can use my peripheral vision to get an approximation of my speed without having to fully take my eyes off the road. Many times when I'm using cruise control, I just tap the cruise control lever up/down to increase/decrease speed in 1 MPH increments without ever having to check the speedo. That said...personal preference rules!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or how about giving the rider the option. Put a liquid crystal display where speedo is and have it be switchable to show an analog dial or a digital display.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes and No. I do find it easier to read the digital vs the analog. However, watching that needle swing so rapidly gives a visceral satisfaction that watching a bunch of numbers fly by can't give. And that is what riding a motorcycle is all about. The feeling it gives is more important (at least to me) than the knowledge that I am going xxx mph.

As a side note : When the Po Po pull you over with a digital speedo you can't get a pass by saying you didn't realize you were going that fast Cant say you misread the odometer due to "vibration" (yes I know our wings don't vibrate but the Po Po may not)

Something that does bother me is that the speedo swings from 6 O'clock to 1ish O'clock . The Tac runs from 10:30ish O'clock to 3 O'clock . The realistic normal speed on speedo is from 6-10 O'clock and the tac from 10:30-1:30.
I would like for the dials to cover more real estate and the travel of the needle cover more area. That would make them easier to read and more fun to watch.

I would also like for them to start and stop at the same place. Easier for my brain to comprehend.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Digital any day......quick glance and you know your speed instantly.
My BMW K1600 had the choice of either.....wish Honda would of had an option to display digital speed on the huge screen read-out.

There is absolutely no reason Honda could not give us a choice.......I choose digital.
The tachometer is different, I prefer analog on that.

·
Vendor
16,014 Posts
You won't get a lot of support for digital readouts from members here. This topic has been discussed previously. The majority of comments were strongly opposed to digital.
At least a few years ago, the same was true in the automotive world. However, I'm sure us humans are evolving towards a digital readout. That makes me wonder what a 5th grader would say !!!

·
Vendor
16,014 Posts
There is absolutely no reason Honda could not give us a choice.......I choose digital.
The tachometer is different, I prefer analog on that.
Possibly it would require a 2nd pickup coil ??? Certainly it would require add'l hours changing the programming. Maybe they didn't feel it was worth the extra development and testing dollars to please only a few.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Possibly it would require a 2nd pickup coil ??? Certainly it would require add'l hours changing the programming. Maybe they didn't feel it was worth the extra development and testing dollars to please only a few.
The signals are there.......it's all electronic nowadays even if displayed as "analog".
Pretty sure the only issue would be programming.

Oh well, I can deal with what we have and enjoy riding regardless of display format.
If it was digital we'd have to find something else to complain about. 😀

·
Registered
924 Posts
Digital if you would be able to see the display with the sun blaring down. Also lets say I'm going down the road constantly going from 55 to 58 MPH. Wouldn't the digital display constantly fluttering up and down become annoying?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Garmin (BMW) Nav VI mounted on my handlebar with the screen set to a digital mph gauge. Problem solved—the problem being the Honda's inferior GPS!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I prefer an analog meter 99% of the time, but I do wonder why Honda failed to make use of that huge screen for those people who might want a digital readout. I, for one, don't use any of the features that the screen offers. My headseat and Garmin GPS handle FM radio, Pandora, Phone calls, Navigation, etc. So when I'm going down the road, I just leave the bike on the home screen. Would have been nice to have the Speed, or Tire Pressure, or SOMETHING else to be able to put up there.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm not familiar with the technology required to provide analog AND digital speed readouts at the same time. It can't be rocket science, because my previous '18 BMW R1200RT had an analog speedo and the ability to select a simultaneous digital speed readout as well.

Oh, wait, BMWs are German. And wasn't one of the pioneers of rocket science, Wernher von Braun, a German? I guess providing analog AND digital speedos IS rocket science.

Tim

·
Registered
588 Posts
Digital any day......quick glance and you know your speed instantly.
In the group's collective experience, are digital speedos more accurate than analog? My '08 is slow by about 4-5 mph. If digital speedos are no better, then they simply provide a false sense of accuracy and in which case the needle of analog is actually preferable to me. OTOH, if more accurate then that's what I'd like--digital.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Digital and analog speedometers are equally inaccurate in my experience. With rare exception, manufacturers intentionally design them to be optimistic, i.e. read slightly higher than your actual speed.

Tim

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Digital and analog speedometers are equally inaccurate in my experience. With rare exception, manufacturers intentionally design them to be optimistic, i.e. read slightly higher than your actual speed.

Tim
My 2019 DCT is very accurate IMHO......compared to 2 separate GPS units and several construction speed limit radars.

My K1600 and 2001 Goldwing were off the usual +/- 5%.....my 2009 Goldwing was correct also.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Oh for sure, it's not a matter about which one is more "accurate". Either display is only as accurate as the signal its getting. The question is do you want to know that you are going between 70 and 75mph, or that you're going APPROXIMATELY 73mph. That's the difference between an analog and digital meter. All of our bikes have cruise control, which will happily tell you the speed that you set it to on the dash, so the electronics to read the speed digitally is already there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts