GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be tearing into my 03 1800 in the next 2 months to change the air filter. I just got the bike in Nov. 2018 so with 24,000 miles on it and spotty records from the previous owner, it's time. I've seen the videos on how to do this tedious, keep-the-fasteners-all-organized CHORE, so I'm probably good for that aspect of the job. What I'm wondering now is, once I've got it all ripped down what ELSE should I look at, modify, etc? Here is my list of things:

1. Don't forget to change the air filter (!)
  2. Install a dual USB style power port on the dash or in one of the cubby holes, with blue digital voltage indicator (pic attached)
  3. Vacuum and clean the radiator(s)
  4. Flush and fill the cooling system (?)
  5. Replace the mottled black Teflon tape that the windscreen rides on
  6. Install the fog light LED indicator kit (pic attached; thanks for that link, SOONTOBEONE).

Anything else I should really should include during this work? Things to consider? What to inspect? TIA for any real-world experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Mice proof your air intake tubes like in this picture. This is a picture that I found on another site. Lots of folks have found mice nesting in the air filter and have done this to prevent it.

I used the fine screen from the back of an old air filter a couple of years back.

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
I'll be tearing into my 03 1800 in the next 2 months to change the air filter. I just got the bike in Nov. 2018 so with 24,000 miles on it and spotty records from the previous owner, it's time. I've seen the videos on how to do this tedious, keep-the-fasteners-all-organized CHORE, so I'm probably good for that aspect of the job. What I'm wondering now is, once I've got it all ripped down what ELSE should I look at, modify, etc? Here is my list of things:

2. Install a dual USB style power port on the dash or in one of the cubby holes, with blue digital voltage indicator (pic attached)
  6. Install the fog light LED indicator kit (pic attached; thanks for that link, SOONTOBEONE).

Anything else I should really should include during this work? Things to consider? What to inspect? TIA for any real-world experience.
Pressure test the cooling system and its cap. Be sure to check the reservoir hoses for cracks in their ends, as well as the tube level. Repair or replace so that there are no coolant leaks.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
Everything that's been mentioned....especially the suspension upgrades and the aluminum trees...well worth the money and effort especially if you ride two up...besides all that has been mentioned change the brake and clutch fluid.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If not done previously, correct the cruiser control cable adjustment.

Clean and secure the ground connection point under the rear of the fuel tank.

If you're looking at extended winter down time you could top off the rear shock preload compressor fluid, most are not filled and don't load up until 6 or 7 on the scale.

Also flush and bleed the brakes and clutch.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
One of my favorite mods is to set up the turn cancel switch to bring up the temp on the info display.

Here’s the link

Just a jumper from the display control switch to the cancel (ground) on the turn signal circuit.

+1 on the cruise control cable adjustment as well.

:thumbup:

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
851 Posts
Drair: This past spring I took the time and performed just what you are undertaking. My only comment is to consider installing brake speed bleeder valves. They are invaluable. Also, I installed the identical ubs outlet. My wife and I each own a wing so I was able to practice on hers first.>:)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
+1 Speed Bleeders. Much easier to flush and bleed brake and clutch when single handed.

·
Administrator
4,575 Posts
and you thought we'd add 1 or 2 other things :grin2:.

Really, while you've got the shelter off, the adjustment for the cruise control will be staring you in the face. If you have ridden it enough, and you have noticed a 'lag' when you engage the CC, make this simple adjustment. Maybe some else can jump in here and post a pic of what I'm talking about. I believe you want to make 5 full turns on it, but I suffer from CRS, and can't remember which way to turn it. Bueller?????

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
We'll keep you so busy that you'll miss the entire riding season. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My cruise cable is left and forward of the radio area. Start the bike and at normal idle (around 800 rpm) slowly turn the hex shaped cable adjustment tube until you hear the rpm increase then turn it back until normal idle then 1/2 turn further and you should be good. Initially you'll turn this tube so to take the slack up, once the slack is gone it will start to pull the cable thus accelerate rpm. By turning it back in you return to idle and the extra 1/2 turn provides just enough slack to allow smooth transition to cruise without a drop in speed that occurred during the very common reported delay.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
One of my favorite mods is to set up the turn cancel switch to bring up the temp on the info display.

Here’s the link

Just a jumper from the display control switch to the cancel (ground) on the turn signal circuit.

+1 on the cruise control cable adjustment as well.

Do you know if those directions are accurate for a 2010 level 3?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Do you know if those directions are accurate for a 2010 level 3?
Sorry, sir, but I do not... I’ve done it on an’01, an ‘03, and an ‘05 and they were all the same. Should be fairly simple to check a wiring diagram if you can find someone who has one. My guess would be the turn signal ground would be the same as the switch clusters are relatively unchanged, but the other side I am not familiar with...

Sorry, I’m not more help.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Hey, ya helped me not jump right in and cut the wrong wires.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Better get my service manual out and see if I can decipher some wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
390 Posts
LED volt meter

I added this to my 1800...has been valuable to me for peace of mind, knowing the charging system is operating OK.
it will plug right into a pigtail under the LH glovebox.

Had a digital one on my 1500....and it identified some alternator problems on my 1500 on a trip before I got stranded.

have fun!
bryon

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll be following as I am doing the same to my new to me 2006. I've been going over everything and replacing the fluids along with tweeking and adjusting things that were neglected by previous owner.
New to the site. Some great info. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with this. Great time to add screening to keep critters out of your air filter box. This is what I found in the used bike I bought! I used aluminum gutter screen and electrical tape so no rust.

Mice proof your air intake tubes like in this picture. This is a picture that I found on another site. Lots of folks have found mice nesting in the air filter and have done this to prevent it.

I used the fine screen from the back of an old air filter a couple of years back.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great time to replace high beam bulbs with LED ones of you want. Easy to access.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts