GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the new tires mounted Friday evening (yes, the CT can be mounteed "by hand", but not without an epic struggle!), but my buddy and I couldn’t balance the rear wheel on our “Shade Tree Wheel Balancer”; so I took it to my local Honda Shop Saturday morning. $22 later, I had the CT balanced and shortly thereafter had it back on the bike in time to take an afternoon ride. Temps here were mid 50’s to low 60’s here in VA, depending on elevation, location relative to the river bottom, and amount of shade. I put almost 100 miles on the new tires to “scrub them in”– all two-lane barely paved farm roads. WOW, what a difference!!!

The new G709 up front sticks like a fly to flypaper, and the CT feels waaaaay more stable and secure than the D250, even when it was new! I did notice (as "Joey" put it) a “quirk” while riding in curves (the CT has a greater tendency to try and "straighten the bike up when you roll-off the throttle in a lean), but maintaining steady throttle, or slight acceleration through the curves (that’s what I teach my students!) eliminates this. In the MSF curriculum, this is referred to as the four-step cornering process - - - “SLOW – LOOK – PRESS – and ROLL”.

SLOW to a proper entry speed that will allow you to maintain steady throttle, or increase throttle (roll on) through the curve
LOOK for the apex, then the exit of the curve (physical head-turn)
PRESS on the handlebar to initiate lean (press right – go right, press left – go left)
ROLL on the throttle from the beginning of the curve, through the entire curve, and steadily accelerating from the exit of the curve

Although I don’t have but a few miles on the CT & G709, I am amazed at how well the bike responds to rider input. I truly believe it is even MORE sensitive (IE: requires less input) than with the D250’s.

I am also very impressed with the increased braking power! Of course, some of this increase is attributable to the new Honda OEM brake pads front & rear (boy, Honda sure is proud of them!!). Nonetheless, the additional traction from the increased rear contact patch area is very reassuring. I never thought I’d be saying this, but I can’t wait to try these tires out in the rain!! (Did I actually write that?!?!?!)

Now, my task is to monitor the progress of this setup, and to pass on whatever profound revelations I may experience to the GL1800 Riders Board. Since I ride a minimum of 2,400 miles per month (daily commuting), the miles will rack-up fairly quickly. I will attempt to report their progress at 10,000 or so mile intervals.

I'd like to thank "Nando", "Joey", and "Tom Franken" for their support and cooperation in this endeavor. I welcome any questions or comments from other “Dark Siders”, as well as from the “Nay Sayers”. I will answer / respond to each of you as objectively as possible, given that all of my information on this topic will have been obtained “seat-of-the-pants” so to speak.

BTW, am I now eligible to be accredited and certified as a "Dark Sider"? If so, I'd like to "reserve" # 0033 if at all possible, but I defer to the "Order of the Dark Side" for a decision in this regard.

"May the Force be with us, . . . one and all!"

·
Registered
68 Posts
dcalahan
What tire did you choose?
I too, can find no reason to not like the CT at this point, only 800 miles on it. It's my daily ride but it's only 15 miles to work and not a lot of time left over to ride more.
gary

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Welcome to the Dark Side !! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts