GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a notice in my local paper today that Goodyear was in danger of going out on strike today. And Goodyear is the owner of Dunlop.

Well I just got the phone call that Goodyear and Dunlop are going on strike at 1PM today.

So start scrambling and buy whatever you can to fit your bike. This is gonna get real messy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Thank the Lord for Winter! (what am I on, drugs, denial?)

Hal have you not heard? There is no shortage of tires....LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Is there really a tire shortage?
When I had a flat in norther Montana two weeks ago the Honda dealer in Lethbridge had 3 Dunlops in stock (Rear). I went to Calgary and decided to get a new Dunlop front. (Several dealers had them, one could do the change right away.)
Back in Vancouver I asked my dealer how long it would take to get some Avon's. They had one front and one rear in stock!
I have now a set of Dunlop's for sale - only 4 days of riding on them - about 1400 miles. I'll try the for sale board later today.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Is this a bad dream or what!!!!! You think there is a tire shortage now? Just wait if this strike lasts for any length of time!!!!
Hal, thanks for the heads up on this. I just ordered two more tires for my bike. Holly's trike is getting rear tires put on as I write this along with our trailer she pulls behind the trike.
Hal, we were joking with you at the BBQ about all the back ordered tires coming in about January 1st. Maybe now it will be March 1st and you will be off and running for the summer months. LOL's

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
John in YVR said:
Is there really a tire shortage?
Well, sounds like you have been hoarding them, could you be the cause of the shortage? :twisted:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I've not seen anyone say they couldn't ride their motorcycle because they could not find tires and that would be the definition of a shortage - more demand than supply. I have seen people choosing another brand, buying one tire here, the other there, etc - I'd call it a tight supply - but definitely not a shortage - seems everyone is riding their bikes.

There does appear to be a shortage of E3s, but not a shortage of tires.

Dealers that can't get all they want may feel in their world there is a shortage but it is the consumer demand and manufacturer supply that determines if it is a shortage or not - not the middlemen.

Thanks to HDL I have my next set I bought during the last sale - kudos for not jacking the price and even offering a discount during a "shortage".

·
Registered
652 Posts
If Hals says it you can take it to the bank. Those dealers with tire probably have had them for awhile.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
TR just released a bunch of back-ordered Harley tires this morning. They have been on BO since June.

Glad to get them before they close down the distribution system.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Joker Guy,

I guess when you are riding a bike with good tires and have several to many months before you need new ones, I can see your approach to the symptoms of the shortage.

However when you order tires daily for the whole gamut of motorcycles in use to include ATV tires, one See's it from a different perspective.

Call it whatever you like, there is a definite shortage!

Somebody posted a short while back, (last week) that a Colorado dealer had a warehouse full of wing tires for sale. I called that outlet to order 10 pair of Wing tires. The lady that answered the phone was glad to take my order, but then she said that they had none in stock, but were expecting "SOME" soon. So much for a good lead...LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Is the shortage of Dunlops going to affect production of the 07 Goldwings?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bulldog said:

Bulldog
A "shortage" is in the eyes of the "beholder" I guess. When we normally ship 1,000's of tires and can only get a handful then thats a shortage. But if you only ride your bike a few thousand miles per year then tires aren't as important as they might be to others.

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
Keghead said:
Is the shortage of Dunlops going to affect production of the 07 Goldwings?
I doubt it would slow production of the 07's. They use Stones on the European Wings so I imagine Bridgestone will furnish the tire for the US version (again). :) :) That's a good thing! :clap2:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Bulldog said:

Bulldog
A "shortage" is in the eyes of the "beholder" I guess. When we normally ship 1,000's of tires and can only get a handful then thats a shortage. But if you only ride your bike a few thousand miles per year then tires aren't as important as they might be to others.
Correct, if I counted on making money selling tires and couldn't get all I WANTED then to me there is a shortage.

And I am just saying, as consumers, the shortage doom and gloom posted over and over since spring has not materialized as we have been able to get all the tires we NEED to keep our bikes on the road.

There are not Goldwings parked everywhere inoperative due to tires not being available - that is undeniable hence no shortage for us bikers.

But I wish you luck in getting all you can and fully understand how it must impact your business.

If there is a strike then all bets are off.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
GoodYear will be forced to go overseas to get the steel. And we wonder where all the jobs are going?

·
Registered
309 Posts
wng76 said:
PURE BLISS CYCLE INC CONRAD MT. HAD E3 REAR 289 SHIPPED DON'T KNOW IF HE HAD MORE 406-278-7583
I assume that's dollars? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The Dunlop MC tire plant is about 8 miles from me. Stopped by their little known outlet store about 11am today, and snagged up all of the EIII-S at their usual discounted employee price. -> 8 sets

I'll swap anyone who has a new set of Stones, seeing as I do Not use these tires. Otherwise to the Bay they go.

It IS who you know, you know.... :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts