GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all (some of us) like to imagine we know something about riding a twisty road. Well, here is a Ducati 1199 Panigale that might be a little quicker than your Wing. I particularly like this video because we can see the rider's speed (rarely up to 75 in the straights and down into the 30s on the tight stuff) and the gear (usually 2nd or 3rd--often for long stretches without shifting).

I'm pretty sure no one from this board was in this video, so there is no reason to personally attack any board members about the riding you see here. (Oh, never mind. Why do I even bother?)
:joke:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't know if he is on this forum, I thought I saw a guy on a yellow Goldwing pass them and wave on a straight and pull away. It was real fast and hard to see...:lol::lol::lol:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Nice video even nicer bike thanks for sharing I think Wing one just got one of them bike this Spring I don't think he is riding that fast yet but love the sound of the bike.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I'd love to ride that rode at some point in my life.............Maybe not as fast though;);)

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Wing One and I both have Panigales. If you are into speed and handling, it should be experienced once in your life.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Nice video even nicer bike thanks for sharing I think Wing one just got one of them bike this Spring I don't think he is riding that fast yet but love the sound of the bike.
Joe, I would be leaving those guys in the dust already, lol.

He only nudged the power band a couple of times, (7,000rpm to 12,000) I think he could of pass them many times but stayed behind to film.

That's a standard model, I have the S which comes with a high performance exhaust/engine mapping, (deeper exhaust note) lighter wheels and all electronic suspension setting, two clicks of single button changes the whole bike, including power output, from 120hp to 205ph.

Sorry for the blabbing, the thing just totally amazes me, power and handling is phenomenal on those bikes,.

BTW: his clutch fluid needs changing really bad !

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Maybe my eyes are being fooled but I think his speed odometer is reading KMH not MPH. Nice bike!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I saw lots of action with the index finger coordination on the throttle, drop the rpm's, paddle shifter, what do I know, just asking.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Wing One and I both have Panigales. If you are into speed and handling, it should be experienced once in your life.

I agree, every time I go out to play with it I come back a new guy. :thumbup:

Wife tells me I'm leaning the Wing allot harder on corners since I have had the Panigale, lol.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Loved the video! I would love to ride the Dragon tail but I know I would be passed up many times by the sport bikes. So the question is, would I be able to enjoy the road or constantly be getting out of their way to the point it would be more annoying, than enjoying?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Loved the video! I would love to ride the Dragon tail but I know I would be passed up many times by the sport bikes. So the question is, would I be able to enjoy the road or constantly be getting out of their way to the point it would be more annoying, than enjoying?
It's not that busy.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
The bike has "Speed shift", no clutch on the up shifts even at wide open throttle.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loved the video! I would love to ride the Dragon Tail but I know I would be passed up many times by the sport bikes. So the question is, would I be able to enjoy the road or constantly be getting out of their way to the point it would be more annoying, than enjoying?
Last time I went, a guy on a dark gray Wing passed me TWICE. I'm not sure how that happened. He caught up, I eased over and waved him past. Easy Peasy. When I talked with him at the Rock Store, er, I mean the restaurant, he thanked me and said most people won't pull over for ANYTHING. (I figure they are too stressed to even glance in their mirrors.) Since he was the only person who passed me and I was 2-up pulling a trailer, I figure I did pretty good (you know, for a slug ).

Go. Have a good time. Get a room in Robbinsville and spend the day. Do multiple runs. Don't forget the other great roads in the area--all of them less travelled! Just keep your eyes up and your arms relaxed. If anybody wants to get past you, let 'me go.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Pretty dead and vacant on a week day. Might run into a big truck trying to navigate the road, but mostly dead on a week day.

At the store take 28 for about 20 miles and turn back, it is as much or more fun than the dragon. Almost no traffic on 28.

·
Registered
983 Posts
You guys probably got this all figured but I have 2 questions:

1. What is the large yellow light that flashes on the dash just above the center of the tach?

2. What is the little red light (LED looking thing) illuminated steady just below the clutch reservoir?

Thanks. Cool looking/sounding bike.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
You guys probably got this all figured but I have 2 questions:

1. What is the large yellow light that flashes on the dash just above the center of the tach?

2. What is the little red light (LED looking thing) illuminated steady just below the clutch reservoir?

Thanks. Cool looking/sounding bike.
I have not watched much of the video, but a yellow (orange?) light above the gauges is usually the traction control kicking in. If you have it set at a fairly high threshold, it's surprising how often it will come on (for me anyway). I learned when I got the bike that it breaks traction more than you think even though it is imperceptible most of the time. I've changed the setting so it does not intervene much anymore.

What you are seeing that looks like a red LED is just light shining through the fairing just outside of the headlights. Looks odd, but I have noticed that on my bike.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
I'd love to ride the Duck, what an awesome bike. The part that most caught my attention was the atrocious riding of the middle bike, all over the road, riding the center line, and no apparent concept of late apex (proper line). I thought we were going to see him crash or run off of the road. The Ducati could have ran off and left them since it was apparent he was just tickling it most of the time. I have no doubt that the speedo was displaying MPH.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
15 min and change for the "whole" run is good but no where near fast"sport bike fast"

but the camera bike was smooth and his lines were good,like others have said I don't think he was even really trying!

lets be clear this is not a fast run but a smooth and safe run,kudos to the camera bike!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts