·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just read the interview on-line, I raced over to my computer it let people here know about it. I checked the forum search to see if it was posted yet, and I see you posted it. Thank you

We can only hope something comes of this. You would think by now someone would have hacked a way to emulate Apples carplay to use android.

We can only hope & pray it happens.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
"Talking" doesn't sound like Android Auto is coming to the Gold Wing anytime soon.
Talking AND working. Let's hope it's more of the latter. It shouldn't take too long - it's not like they need to start from scratch. :serious:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I am very interested in this and I will be watching with interest what Honda does

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The post makes it sound like inconsistent screen sizes and the ability to "select" something in a "cursor mode" instead of touch screen are the problems. My question is "why the bloody flip are these problems?" These have never been problems on computers since the early days of computer systems. Wait, I forgot, a phone is the worlds worst computer that has ever been created for the sake of being a computer. My phone is an access point for a real computer if I need such. Otherwise, it is a communications device. It is worthless for anything I could call useful.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bottom line...Honda alienated a whole lot of potential next gen bike purchasers when they went with the Apple-only interface. Don't think it makes a big difference to some? I myself had the requisite $30K available to spend on the new bike but don't own an iPhone. There is no '18-'19 Wing in my garage. Give us a choice, Honda!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Bottom line...Honda alienated a whole lot of potential next gen bike purchasers when they went with the Apple-only interface. Don't think it makes a big difference to some? I myself had the requisite $30K available to spend on the new bike but don't own an iPhone. There is no '18-'19 Wing in my garage. Give us a choice, Honda!
WOW....:surprise: I got my first "Smart" phone September 2017. For some reason, no, strike that, I know the reason. I opted for Android because it just seems like anything Apple has been the source of aggravation for me. If I had a crystal ball, and known what Honda was unveiling the following month, I probably would have chosen the iPhone...I certainly don't fault you for your decision, but for me, carplay or Google's version is not the most important part of my motorcycle experience. I do hope they open the door for us Android types. At that point I will find a young person to get it working for me, and show me how to use it...

·
Registered
294 Posts

It wasn’t Honda’s choice. It was Google (who controls Android devices) that didn’t develop Android Auto for bikes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
WOW....:surprise: I got my first "Smart" phone September 2017. For some reason, no, strike that, I know the reason. I opted for Android because it just seems like anything Apple has been the source of aggravation for me. If I had a crystal ball, and known what Honda was unveiling the following month, I probably would have chosen the iPhone...I certainly don't fault you for your decision, but for me, carplay or Google's version is not the most important part of my motorcycle experience. I do hope they open the door for us Android types. At that point I will find a young person to get it working for me, and show me how to use it...
No wow really...It was an easy choice for me (albeit very disappointing.) There was just no way I was going to spend a premium price and then not get everything I want. The electronics packages on new bikes/cars are a big appeal for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
921 Posts
No wow really...It was an easy choice for me (albeit very disappointing.) There was just no way I was going to spend a premium price and then not get everything I want. The electronics packages on new bikes/cars are a big appeal for me. YMMV.
Still wow for me, but that's just me. Electronics are (subjectively) great. For me, they are also an expensive source of aggravation. Your avatar indicates you are currently riding an 1800. What is the year an mileage? If, you are in the market for a new motorcycle at this point in time, and having whatever carplay offers is that important, why not switch to Apple? I realize there is cost associated with this, but at the prices we are talking about for a new bike and accessories, a $1000 or so, less whatever you can get for your current phone, is not huge, to get what you want. I do realize that it is highly frustrating that a percentage of us have essentially been discriminated against because of the brand of phone we have. Rest assured, you are not punishing either Honda, or Google, by denying yourself the latest generation Goldwing. It's a great bike.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Still wow for me, but that's just me. Electronics are (subjectively) great. For me, they are also an expensive source of aggravation. Your avatar indicates you are currently riding an 1800. What is the year an mileage? If, you are in the market for a new motorcycle at this point in time, and having whatever carplay offers is that important, why not switch to Apple? I realize there is cost associated with this, but at the prices we are talking about for a new bike and accessories, a $1000 or so, less whatever you can get for your current phone, is not huge, to get what you want. I do realize that it is highly frustrating that a percentage of us have essentially been discriminated against because of the brand of phone we have. Rest assured, you are not punishing either Honda, or Google, by denying yourself the latest generation Goldwing. It's a great bike.
There's no intention to punish Honda or anyone else. I currently have 6 bikes in my garage so I can wait for the right 'version' to come out or just ride something else. I know what I want and it is not the GW w/o Android Auto. Nuff said.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
So you're gonna let GOOGLE decide that you can't enjoy a HONDA?
LOL! He's enjoying Honda and others it sounds like.

Different people have different priorities. I respect that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would never let a electronic function dictate my choice in a motorcycle. That's just me, i do respect his opinion though and understand. I have had an android phone since they came out. Never wanted Apple or anything to do with Apple, but my phone was paid for and i made the choice to switch to a new iphone so i could use the features on my new wing. The phone debate is overblown, they both have their good and bad but i can say in the 2 weeks i have had my iphone it has performed flawlessly, the battery lasts all day without a charge and it works great on the wing. I can use waze, google maps, spotify and that makes the ride more enjoyable. It's not a necessity, it's a convenience. Just mho

1 - 20 of 104 Posts