GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
<...>Connecting to the bike with my phone is pretty much a useless thing to do. I cannot believe Honda chose Apple when Android has the biggest market share.
...outside of North America.

The bike's primary market was North America. The statistics for Android/Apple share have been established earlier in this thread. Google (Alphabet) is a much larger entity that Honda in this regard.

I presume this has made for a discussion point on the Android Auto interface...or, how *does* a non-standard method for control work in harmony with the rest of the system. Everyone interacts with AA the exact same way, no matter which seat - in whatever vehicle it is - you're setting in.

That's probably a pretty big design hurdle to overcome.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As an Android user that also uses a PC with Linux I find it a slap in the face Honda put that garbage called Apple CarPlay on my bike. Honda should have made a user selectable platform for people that want Android. It would be nice if we have an option in the future to flash an Android based platform.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Perhaps I don't fully understand the issue (highly likely), but the interface between Apple and Harman is simply an application. Someone developed that application using the API's for iOS and the Harman firmware. There are three choices; 1) Apple developed it, 2) Harman developed it, 3) or a third party developed it. Obviously, there are some combinations possible. Apple would see little value in developing the integration for specific applications as there would be a ton of them (each GPS system, within each vehicle) with little return for Apple (other than a few people might buy an Apple phone). Also, monetizing third party development would be difficult, again because of the diversity of the market (lots of GPS's specific to lots of different vehicles). Therefore the most likely scenario is that Harman built the integration application, probably with a little help from Apple in terms of iOS API definitions. And, I believe the Apple interface is easier, much easier, than Android.

For the same reason, Harman would have to build the integration application for the Android interface. My guess is the sticking point is input mapping, since Android seems to require a touch screen or moused solution for input. Is anyone aware of a non-screen (i.e. push button input system) interface for Android? There could be some. It is going to take some work to build the GW push button to Android on screen command interface. Google probably will not provide this non-touch screen API, since it is such a niche market. And there is little in the way of return on Google's investment, as they will not see the same benefit in increased Google phone sales. Most Android applications use a touch screen. Harman will have to map the buttons and knobs on the Goldwing to input commands for Android. This may be a daunting (and expensive) task with no help from Google. And there would have to be some response definitions (i.e. if the 'home' button is pushed, what is the Android system response?). And a lot of opinions about the choices made for button response. My guess is, at this time, Honda isn't willing to spend the money to have Harman develop this interface. May be they never will.

We may get a third party developer (a tech savvy individual, with low overhead) who can do the mapping and build an application interface for Android that will interface with whatever Harman has built into their GPS. Hopefully, Harman and Honda are open to this, because it will be difficult without access to the GPS interface API and some effort to update the firmware by Harman and Honda. Again, a lot of time for possibly low return. Don't hold your breath.

I don't believe we will get an Android Auto interface for the GW any time soon.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
As an Android user that also uses a PC with Linux I find it a slap in the face Honda put that garbage called Apple CarPlay on my bike. Honda should have made a user selectable platform for people that want Android. It would be nice if we have an option in the future to flash an Android based platform.
android slapped your face, not honda. android had the opportunity but they passed. seems like they didnt care about the honda riding droids. apple took care of their peeps. you need to be crapping on android

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
android slapped your face, not honda. android had the opportunity but they passed. seems like they didnt care about the honda riding droids. apple took care of their peeps. you need to be crapping on android
:laugh:

That "garbage" Apple CarPlay sure works pretty darn nice on my 2019 Goldwing with my iPhone 11. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
:laugh:

That "garbage" Apple CarPlay sure works pretty darn nice on my 2019 Goldwing with my iPhone 11. :thumbup:
haha. mine as well. cruising down the highway with the nav, spotify/apple music/xm satellite(free), google maps and waze AND asking siri for directions to the nearest restaurant. yea, gahhhbage. lol

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
AA vs CarPlay

The choice to not include AA on the Goldwing was a Google/Android choice, not a Honda choice.

I suspect there is very little pressure on Google to put AA on the Goldwing. How many Goldwing sales do you think Honda lost because of the lack of AA? How much would the interface development cost to get AA on the Goldwing? Can this development cost be economically justified?

I don't have answers, but there are certainly difficult questions.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Note - That 80%/20% Android/Apple is highly deceiving. Most of the 80% of the Android market is in the low end Android phones that are more sold in the third world or places where price pressure is an issue. The market is *much* different in the US and developed countries...

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1045293/share-of-mobile-operating-systems-in-asia-by-month/

https://ww.9to5mac.com/2019/08/12/iphone-market-share-in-europe/

"A huge chunk of its sales were not flagships, but rather mid-range A-series phones. And Canalys notes that the company doesn’t seem to care about how much money it makes."

Again, not every need requires the 'flagship' phone from any given vendor, yet we are discussing telematic installations and use on a flagship motorcycle.

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide

Pretty steady - implicating that once you've made a choice of which system you're in, you'll stay there no matter what.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I suspect the meat of the matter is that Google never anticipated having to support a non-touch interface for their OS and respective apps. As such, no API was ever established to have third party apps behave properly under Android Auto with a joystick/d-pad. I also suspect that both Google and Honda both would have loved to have been able to offer the tech, but unfortunately Google got caught with their pants down, whereas Apple was prepared.

Just FYI, I'm an android user, with an ancient iPhone 5S without a cell connection sitting in his bike pocket this very second. It connects to my android for its data connection, and I can do everything you could possibly want to do on the bike. Maps, music, etc. So I just wish all the android users out there would quit wining and go out and buy yourself a cheap iPhone 5s off ebay for like $60. God knows we spend a lot more than that on much more useless farkle...

</soapbox>

Now having said that, it's true that the iPhone doesn't have a phone connection. But that doesn't really matter. You have to have a headset to use Apple Carplay in the first place, so I just pair my Android as a second device to the headset. Problem solved. Not like the stupid phone directory works on the bike anyway.... My Aunt Amy doesn't call me that much...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just FYI, I'm an android user, with an ancient iPhone 5S without a cell connection sitting in his bike pocket this very second. It connects to my android for its data connection, and I can do everything you could possibly want to do on the bike. Maps, music, etc. So I just wish all the android users out there would quit wining and go out and buy yourself a cheap iPhone 5s off ebay for like $60. God knows we spend a lot more than that on much more useless farkle...
You missed the <soapbox> so wasn't sure where you started... ;)

Actually, that's a great work around. Kudo's for thinking of that. I'm always amazed at what folks can dream up to make tech work for them... I can see how it works perfectly.

I am an iphone guy, so I'm pretty happy with the fact that the wing supports Carplay. I just wish the Scenic app would support Carplay (I know the dev is working on it...). I had a Garmin 595 on my RT, but I sold it, so hoping the wing GPS is at least worthwhile....

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I suspect the meat of the matter is that Google never anticipated having to support a non-touch interface for their OS and respective apps. As such, no API was ever established to have third party apps behave properly under Android Auto with a joystick/d-pad. I also suspect that both Google and Honda both would have loved to have been able to offer the tech, but unfortunately Google got caught with their pants down, whereas Apple was prepared.

</soapbox>

Now having said that, it's true that the iPhone doesn't have a phone connection. But that doesn't really matter. You have to have a headset to use Apple Carplay in the first place, so I just pair my Android as a second device to the headset. Problem solved. Not like the stupid phone directory works on the bike anyway.... My Aunt Amy doesn't call me that much...
How do you get your 5S to connect to your Android phone for data? Did you make your Android a hot spot?

I am an Android guy and this is an interesting idea...

·
Registered
283 Posts
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1045293/share-of-mobile-operating-systems-in-asia-by-month/

https://ww.9to5mac.com/2019/08/12/iphone-market-share-in-europe/

"A huge chunk of its sales were not flagships, but rather mid-range A-series phones. And Canalys notes that the company doesn’t seem to care about how much money it makes."

Again, not every need requires the 'flagship' phone from any given vendor, yet we are discussion telematic installation and use on a flagship motorcycle.

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide

Pretty steady - implicating that once you've made a choice of which system you're in, you'll stay there no matter what.
I agree.. once you are in an ecosystem, it's hard to move out of it. I've made the switch twice and finally ended up on IOS mostly due to timely security updates. While Android may have the market share, Apple is killing them at the cash register....

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/apple-continues-lead-global-handset-industry-profit-share/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Indeed. That's exactly what I did.
SKYFLIX, did you connect your Iphone 5 via USB or Bluetooth? I assume I would connect my Samsung 7s to the headset only not the Wing? I got my wife's old Iphone 5 out today, hot spotted the 7s to the Iphone 5, then connected the Iphone via USB to the Wing and bingo I have CAR PLAY! GREAT IDEA, I would have never thought outside of the box like that! Thanks!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Exactly, my android phone is not connected to the bike in any way. It is only connected to my headset as phone 2 (I use a packtalk) so that I can make and receive phone calls on my android phone. The iPhone is connected to the Android's hotspot for data and is connected to the bike in the usual carplay way (which is to say you plug it up to USB and the bike takes care of everything else). It's actually quite simple, as you found out, and I'm super excited that it's working for you.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Bottom line...Honda alienated a whole lot of potential next gen bike purchasers when they went with the Apple-only interface. Don't think it makes a big difference to some? I myself had the requisite $30K available to spend on the new bike but don't own an iPhone. There is no '18-'19 Wing in my garage. Give us a choice, Honda!
It wasn’t Honda’s choice. Google wouldn’t work with Honda, on the feature.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As I recall, one of the early requirements for Android Auto was exclusively a touch-screen selection capability.

Some time later, there had to be a rudimentary joystick capability (left-right...) so that a choice could be made while your hand was on the steering wheel.

This is the primary hangup, I'm sure. Android had no option of not allowing touch screen activation, whereas apparently Apple did allow for a non-touch interface.

So, whoever wrote that it's gonna take time (years...) could well be right. Unless there is some 2018+ Goldwing owner who just so happens to be a honcho over at Google - and is pi$$ed that he has to use his competitions telematics system on his motorcycle. :mrgreen:
Touch screen is not required to use Android Auto. I have a 2018 ALFA Romeo Giulia with Android Auto and Apple car play functionality and control is by joystick and buttons only. No touchscreen on car.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts