GL1800Riders Forums banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Because I'm a curious kind of guy, I thought it would be an interesting experiment to see if Android Auto could, in fact, be controlled with an external controller on my phone. I've used a physical keyboard and gamepad with my phone before, so I knew that they would be recognized, but I wasn't sure how Android Auto would respond. So I plugged up a keyboard to the phone and launched Android Auto. Not surprisingly, the keyboard arrows WOULD let me move around the screen, however (and I can't stress this enough) there was no rhyme nor reason as to where the highlighted cursor was going. And in some cases, there was no highlighted option at all. Pressing Enter caused me to end up somewhere I didn't want to be. But I COULD get around if I tried hard enough. EXCEPT when I launched Waze. Once Waze was activated, I could no longer control the phone using the keyboard.

Admittedly, this was a test sample of one (and as far as experimentation goes, that's normally called complete rubbish), but for the time being, I still stand by my original statement that I don't believe Google established rules for how Android should respond to external controller input. I can find no such documentation in the Android Developer community. So while this may work in a car, I definitely have a better understanding of why Google decided not to allow it on a motorcycle where any level of distraction could have far greater consequences.

edit: I found the following reference for rotary based controllers, so I suspect this is why the Alfa works: https://developer.android.com/training/cars/testing

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
9 pages later I am with the Android sync on this Wing.

I have been touring for YEARSSSS with a Garmin and an Android. And apparently, I am gonna continue to do so.

The GPS on this bike is not in par with any Garmin I have ever used in the past. So my Garmin is to stay...on the handlebar this time.

On the other handlebar side is my Android which I can use for Waze for cops-look-out or MyRadar for weather-cells on the fly.

I do not use anything else.

If I could see these things on the TFT display it would be a plus but...I ain't hassling with that iPhone connection anymore.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
none of your reasons make sense. you all need to boycott Android, since it was THEY that dropped the ball. Its they that didnt take up Honda's invitation to be a part of this. as far as your specialized android apps, theres no guarantee that theyll be compatible with the bike. there are a ton of apple apps that arent. good luck with buying an inferior bike because of some stance you took against apple, the company that came through for GW riders. some of you guys are funny.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Because I'm a curious kind of guy, I thought it would be an interesting experiment to see if Android Auto could, in fact, be controlled with an external controller on my phone. I've used a physical keyboard and gamepad with my phone before, so I knew that they would be recognized, but I wasn't sure how Android Auto would respond. So I plugged up a keyboard to the phone and launched Android Auto. Not surprisingly, the keyboard arrows WOULD let me move around the screen, however (and I can't stress this enough) there was no rhyme nor reason as to where the highlighted cursor was going. And in some cases, there was no highlighted option at all. Pressing Enter caused me to end up somewhere I didn't want to be. But I COULD get around if I tried hard enough. EXCEPT when I launched Waze. Once Waze was activated, I could no longer control the phone using the keyboard.

Admittedly, this was a test sample of one (and as far as experimentation goes, that's normally called complete rubbish), but for the time being, I still stand by my original statement that I don't believe Google established rules for how Android should respond to external controller input. I can find no such documentation in the Android Developer community. So while this may work in a car, I definitely have a better understanding of why Google decided not to allow it on a motorcycle where any level of distraction could have far greater consequences.

edit: I found the following reference for rotary based controllers, so I suspect this is why the Alfa works: https://developer.android.com/training/cars/testing
youre the kind of employee that makes bosses look good. you see a problem and you attack it with solutions, instead of complaining about it.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
9 pages of complaining about their phone. How weird ; I bought the wing for the ride and never gave a rats azz how my phone worked. By the way my android phone does everything I ask of it on this wing.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
How do you get your 5S to connect to your Android phone for data? Did you make your Android a hot spot?

I am an Android guy and this is an interesting idea...

I do you one better..... Picked up a used iphone 6s, I have a Samsung Active 6. Take the sim card out of the Samsung , put in iphone 6s, have call, Data plan and all, when I am done playing with the wing and carplay, put the card back in the Samsung...good to go

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bottom line...Honda alienated a whole lot of potential next gen bike purchasers when they went with the Apple-only interface. Don't think it makes a big difference to some? I myself had the requisite $30K available to spend on the new bike but don't own an iPhone. There is no '18-'19 Wing in my garage. Give us a choice, Honda!
In Honda's original advertising they stated that Carplay was available and that Android Auto would be available. After 2-3 months they took down the Android Auto promise. A minor disappointment but nothing that my Garmin didn't take care of.

·
Registered
168 Posts
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1045293/share-of-mobile-operating-systems-in-asia-by-month/

https://ww.9to5mac.com/2019/08/12/iphone-market-share-in-europe/

"A huge chunk of its sales were not flagships, but rather mid-range A-series phones. And Canalys notes that the company doesn’t seem to care about how much money it makes."

Again, not every need requires the 'flagship' phone from any given vendor, yet we are discussion telematic installation and use on a flagship motorcycle.

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide

Pretty steady - implicating that once you've made a choice of which system you're in, you'll stay there no matter what.
I agree.. once you are in an ecosystem, it's hard to move out of it. I've made the switch twice and finally ended up on IOS mostly due to timely security updates. While Android may have the market share, Apple is killing them at the cash register....

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/apple-continues-lead-global-handset-industry-profit-share/
This isn't exactly accurate, lol. Apple is the sole provider of mobile devices using iOS. They may sell more phones and accessories than any other manufacturer, but they still only sell ~ 20% of phones worldwide. IOW, Apple isn't outselling or making more money than Android devices do by a long shot, but they are outselling every other the other individual manufacturer.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Android TV boxes and sticks have been using d-pad controls for at least a decade, and they work exactly like you think it should. You can buy generic "remotes" for these devices and they'll work just as well as the one provided with the stick/box.

You can be sure that the actual reason has nothing at all to do with Google and the phone and auto manufacturers not being able to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Believe what you will, but it's already an established fact that it is Google that would not allow Honda to use their technology on motorcycles. I was simply trying to discover the reason why.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I do you one better..... Picked up a used iphone 6s, I have a Samsung Active 6. Take the sim card out of the Samsung , put in iphone 6s, have call, Data plan and all, when I am done playing with the wing and carplay, put the card back in the Samsung...good to go
Very easy to do and much cheaper than buying another GPS to put on the handlebars.
If you have Google Fi, Google will even send you a data only sim to use in the iPhone so you can use Google maps on the iPhone with Apple Carplay.
You can also jailbreak the iPhone to use more motorcycle specific GPS apps with Carplay if you wanted to.
For me this is an acceptable, easy, workaround until Honda and Google work their stuff out. I don't mind dipping my pinkie toe into Apple's pond since it allows me to stay with Android and use Google services/apps/maps on the bike without Apple ever seeing a dime from me.

Android support is absent from the previous gen 1800's and Victory bikes, as well. I'm used to it. ****, the data cable/usb on the previous Wing wouldn't even charge an Android phone.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Believe what you will, but it's already an established fact that it is Google that would not allow Honda to use their technology on motorcycles. I was simply trying to discover the reason why.
I agree, and I wasn't trying to argue at all. Was just pointing out that Google can easily solve this problem, and so could Honda/Harmon if Google would allow them to do so. Honda's hands are seemingly tied and Google is seemingly dragging their feet. Why they can't play well together is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Very easy to do and much cheaper than buying another GPS to put on the handlebars.
If you have Google Fi, Google will even send you a data only sim to use in the iPhone so you can use Google maps on the iPhone with Apple Carplay.
You can also jailbreak the iPhone to use more motorcycle specific GPS apps with Carplay if you wanted to.
For me this is an acceptable, easy, workaround until Honda and Google work their stuff out. I don't mind dipping my pinkie toe into Apple's pond since it allows me to stay with Android and use Google services/apps/maps on the bike without Apple ever seeing a dime from me.

Android support is absent from the previous gen 1800's and Victory bikes, as well. I'm used to it. ****, the data cable/usb on the previous Wing wouldn't even charge an Android phone.
Please please: elaborate for us dummies: what is Google fi? how do you get it and how much does it cost?

Then, "jailbreake an iPhone?" you mean have it unlocked....will just simply have it unlocked will make it work effectively on Carplay (ala Wing) or do you have to also have a data plan?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Please please: elaborate for us dummies: what is Google fi? how do you get it and how much does it cost?

Then, "jailbreake an iPhone?" you mean have it unlocked....will just simply have it unlocked will make it work effectively on Carplay (ala Wing) or do you have to also have a data plan?
Google Fi is mobile phone carrier/MVNO. Pretty much like any other, but (if you have a phone made for Fi) can automatically switch between T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular for service. It also switches to wifi if available for talk/text/data and will automatically connect to known good/open wifi networks if need be. A VPN is also provided so no worries about being on public/open wifi networks (it's all automatic, and you can easily turn this on/off in the app).
If your phone is not "made for Fi", then they use T-Mobile's network and wifi only. Just need an unlocked phone on US bands for it to work.

or do you also have to have a data plan?
No, you don't need a separate data plan for the iphone to run carplay. If on Fi, Google will give you 4 data only sim cards to use on other devices to share the data on your plan. These sims can't make calls/texts (cellular, anyway), just mobile/cellular data. Google provides the sims free for the asking and doesn't charge anything extra at all for this.
But even this isn't necessary. You could just turn on hotspot on your Android phone and share data with the iphone that way.

how do you get it and how much does it cost?
Fi has 2 plans. Unlimited for $70, or flexible plan that's $20 for unlimited talk and text and $10 per GB for data up to 6 GB after which data is free. And the $10 per GB is to the penny, not bought in blocks. In other words, if you use 1/10th of a GB, you only pay $1 for data. www.fi.google.com can explain it better than I can.
It's technically a little on the expensive side per GB if you stay under 6GB all the time, but I have months where I use next to no data and months where I use tons. I like knowing it's there if I need it without having to pay for an unlimited plan that isn't utilized most of the time. Having said that there are cheaper plans per GB that allow tether/hotspot if you know you're going to stay under a set amount of data per month no matter what.

jailbreake an iPhone?
You would only need to jailbreak the iphone if you want to run apps in Carplay that normally aren't allowed. There's a decent motorcycle/scenic GPS app that isn't approved for Carplay yet, for example. Jailbreaking an iPhone will let you pretty much open any app you want in Carplay. Youtube, web browser, whatever.
Jailbreaking is not unlocking, it's "hacking" the phone to get around all the silly restrictions Apple puts on the phones and allows users to install 3rd party apps outside of the App store. That's the gist, and, again, not necessary at all.

Edit: Google Maps and Waze do already work with Carplay, and there is at least one Motorcycle specific GPS in the App store that will likely come to Carplay soon.

That's just what I use, but you don't have to do any of that. If your carrier allows you to hotspot you could just buy a cheap old/used iphone on ebay (iPhone 5S or higher) and use your hotspot for the iphone data.

Sorry so long winded... I ain't the best at splainin' stuff.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
+1 for Google Fi. I've had it from the very inception as Project Fi (being a Google Voice customer prior to that). I run a dual SIM setup in my Pixel 3a and my phone automatically switches between T-Mobile and Sprint in the US (with the phone's eSIM), and Verizon with the physical SIM (provided by my job). Can make or take calls on either number. I'm hardly ever without service, except during the rides in the mountains of NC and TN.

My 4 family member phone bill runs around $100/month + taxes (the kids know to be careful with their data usage).

·
Registered
168 Posts
+1 for Google Fi. I've had it from the very inception as Project Fi (being a Google Voice customer prior to that). I run a dual SIM setup in my Pixel 3a and my phone automatically switches between T-Mobile and Sprint in the US (with the phone's eSIM), and Verizon with the physical SIM (provided by my job). Can make or take calls on either number. I'm hardly ever without service, except during the rides in the mountains of NC and TN.

My 4 family member phone bill runs around $100/month + taxes (the kids know to be careful with their data usage).
I like it so far. We'll see what happens when the T-Mobile / Sprint merger goes through... Hopefully they're planning on adding more carriers. Would love to see AT&T and/or Verizon in the future.
I like being able to switch cell networks manually, as well, as sometimes the strongest signal doesn't give the best results.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts