GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw that The new Honda 2020 Africa Twin and Africa Twin Adventure Sports are expected in dealers at the beginning of 2020 and have apple carplay and Android auto. Hopefully Android auto isn't far behind for the goldwing.

Larry

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, just checked the Honda website and no mention of Android auto. Must have been wishful thinking by reviewer.

Larry

·
Registered
930 Posts
I saw the videos on YouTube on the 2020 African Twin, and I was really impressed with it.
There is so much technology on that bike.....and the engine is now an 1100.
I grew up riding dual sports bikes and loved exploring dirt roads.
I am thinking if I can get the seat height down where I can touch the ground, it may be my next bike.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I was impressed with the Touch-Screen on it.

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
249 Posts
So far the Cruise Director has been reticent to allow the additional bike in the stable.
Further, I put 1.5 Africa Twins on our roof in the form of solar.
I may have to wait a bit in either case.
Gosh, I love that bike.
I would likely try to find a new 2016 as I already have a touring bike. I just want to get back out on the dirt and gravel roads around me.

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just traded a Ktm 1290r on a Goldwing. Adventure bikes are touring capable but dont mistake that as they are as good as a wing. I also found out fast all the dirt roads around me weren't nearly as interesting or as long as thought. Waiting for the perfect day where it's not muddy, yet not so dusty, is annoying too... just food for thought on those thinking grass is greener

·
Registered
530 Posts
Agree on this. GL1800 is so much better than any Africa Twin, KTM 1290/1190, etc. on any pavement journey. And, once you have the big ADV bikes off-road, you realize they are not going to do well there and are a real liability on anything but mild two-track or better.

I just traded a Ktm 1290r on a Goldwing. Adventure bikes are touring capable but dont mistake that as they are as good as a wing. I also found out fast all the dirt roads around me weren't nearly as interesting or as long as thought. Waiting for the perfect day where it's not muddy, yet not so dusty, is annoying too... just food for thought on those thinking grass is greener

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Just to recap what has been explained before about Android Auto. This is NOT Honda's choice. This is Google's choice NOT to implement this on motorcycles. I traded my '16 AT in for the 'Wing, and I don't regret a second of it. BUT, I certainly wouldn't mind having both. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just to recap what has been explained before about Android Auto. This is NOT Honda's choice. This is Google's choice NOT to implement this on motorcycles. I traded my '16 AT in for the 'Wing, and I don't regret a second of it. BUT, I certainly wouldn't mind having both. :)
I have both. A 2019 GW Tour and a 2017 Africa Twin, both with DCT. There is no comparison as far as touring on the roadway goes. The GW wins hands down. As for off road, I also have a 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan which for me is far better off road than the Africa Twin, and was 1/3 the cost. Do you really want to take a new, $20,000+ bike off road? Not me after owning one.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I also have both, 2018 GoldWing Airbag/DCT and 2019 Africa Twin CRF1000 DCT. I use both mainly on local paved roads avoiding the highway/autobahn. For twisties and roads with a lot of speedbumps like we have a lot in Holland and neigbouring European countries, I prefer to ride the Africa Twin with it longer suspension travel and less weight then the GoldWing. For real long trips I take the GoldWing because of comfort. If I only could keep one, I probably would keep the Africa Twin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts