GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to ride it from La Canada Flintridge to Wrightwood during the second week of Aug. For those who are familiar with this highway, is the entire highway paved, and is any section closed for construction or for whatever reason?

thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here is the best reference for road conditions in California:

www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

It says the road is open and there is no construction.

A nice side ride if you have time is when you get up to the rest area there is a left turn that becomes Angeles forest Road. It drops down towards lancaster and it's a good ride. It adds about 25 miles each way. I use to make that ride daily when I was working a construction project in Burbank and had my trailer parked in Vincent.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the best reference for road conditions in California:

www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

It says the road is open and there is no construction.

A nice side ride if you have time is when you get up to the rest area there is a left turn that becomes Angeles forest Road. It drops down towards lancaster and it's a good ride. It adds about 25 miles each way. I use to make that ride daily when I was working a construction project in Burbank and had my trailer parked in Vincent.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant
thanks for providing me the link, Charlie. I will be travelling from Pleasanton to Barstow so i doubt i will be able to take a side ride.

do you know the highway is paved all the way? it is hard to tell by looking at the google maps.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Klam06, May I suggest when you have a question of roadway type or condition, go Google Maps. Type in road you are interested. Once you have the roadway displayed, drag the "little man" on the scale factor selector and highlight the roadway. You will be shown a photo of the road at the that point. Click on another location of that road, see what it looks like there. A handy tool to have in your "memory chip."

·
Registered
937 Posts
We just rode it a week ago. It is paved all the way through and some of it is REALLY nice new pavement.

Keep an eye out for small rocks on the road. They can be anywhere and they are sharp enough to cut a tire !

It is a great ride !

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you interesred in an alternate route so that you don't have to drop into the LA Basin and ride some good twisties to get to your destination? The roads were good the last time I was out there which was around 2005. I use to ride them almost every week just to play.

I think it would be the same time as dropping down into the LA Basin depending on how you are coming out of Pleasanton.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Klam06, May I suggest when you have a question of roadway type or condition, go Google Maps. Type in road you are interested. Once you have the roadway displayed, drag the "little man" on the scale factor selector and highlight the roadway. You will be shown a photo of the road at the that point. Click on another location of that road, see what it looks like there. A handy tool to have in your "memory chip."
I did that; a section of the highway, for some reason, does not have google image avabilable, as if the "google" car just stopped or the road becomes impassible. Thats why i posted.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you interesred in an alternate route so that you don't have to drop into the LA Basin and ride some good twisties to get to your destination? The roads were good the last time I was out there which was around 2005. I use to ride them almost every week just to play.

I think it would be the same time as dropping down into the LA Basin depending on how you are coming out of Pleasanton.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant
From Pleasanton, I would catch PCH 1 to west of Malibu, then take 23 north to catch 101 north then the angles crest highway. I will be staying at Barstow, CA for the night.

Any other suggestion to get me to Barstow? I am little concerned about the traffic situation @101; it will be friday afternoon or evening when i get near LA. May be use 118 E from 23 then 210 E instead?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
From Pleasanton, I would catch PCH 1 to west of Malibu, then take 23 north to catch 101 north then the angles crest highway. I will be staying at Barstow, CA for the night.

Any other suggestion to get me to Barstow? I am little concerned about the traffic situation @101; it will be friday afternoon or evening when i get near LA. May be use 118 E from 23 then 210 E instead?
A little concerned? If you get to LA Friday afternoon or before 7-8PM on Friday you will not be a happy camper. I'd do whatever I could to be well on my way OUT of the LA area come 3pm on Friday. You are likely to hit traffic for about 150 miles all the way to Barstow. The road to Wrightwood is open completely, and has new pavement on much of what was has been closed due to fires, floods, etc over the past several years.

·
Registered
195 Posts
To be honest, I'd stay away from the LA basin on a Friday afternoon no matter which road you try and take to get to Angles Crest Highway.

But, the question I'm going to ask first is just how far do you want to ride in one day?

There are some great roads that are north of the LA basin that can get you a lot of twisties without the traffic. But you might have to sacrific the lower end of the Angles Crest Highway. The lower part is the most travelled and you would pop in on the upper part which I think is the best part.

Second, how technically challenging do you want the ride to be?

Third, are you using a GPS or as I do a paper map and notes.

To stay under 550 miles I'd ride down the PCH till I got to San Lius Obispo and HWY 101 then head north to Santa Margirita then hit Hwy 58 to Bakersfield. Then take 178 up the mountain (this road will match the Dragon in TN anyday but longer) all the way to Hwy 14. North to 178 then over to 395. South to Hwy 58 and then all the way to Barstow.

Here becomes the problem. From McKittrick to Bakersfield its flat and hot, and then from Hwy 14 to Barstow its flat and hot, its hot (desert).

It is challenging in some places and its has some great high speed sweepers as well as takes you up out of the smog of Bakersfield. I think it can be done in about 10 hours and knock out some good miles. Going farther south you can add another 100 or so miles and that would be another 80 miles or so of technical riding.

So that is an option. Picking up the Angles Crest Highway would be the additional 100 miles or so. If it was me (I live to ride long distance) I'd add the extra miles but it depends on when you plan on leaving and how much saddle time you want. Let me know and I can add the next part.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

I think the ride over Angeles Crest to Wrightwood, then picking up the 15 is probably one of the best routes you can take. You will likely hit traffic on a Friday afternoon. If your GPS has traffic it might help you get around some bad spots. The most traveled routes would be those that meet up with the 15 north. e.g. 10, 210, 91. The 405 and 5 are going to be packed from 3pm on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be honest, I'd stay away from the LA basin on a Friday afternoon no matter which road you try and take to get to Angles Crest Highway.

But, the question I'm going to ask first is just how far do you want to ride in one day?

There are some great roads that are north of the LA basin that can get you a lot of twisties without the traffic. But you might have to sacrific the lower end of the Angles Crest Highway. The lower part is the most travelled and you would pop in on the upper part which I think is the best part.

Second, how technically challenging do you want the ride to be?

Third, are you using a GPS or as I do a paper map and notes.

To stay under 550 miles I'd ride down the PCH till I got to San Lius Obispo and HWY 101 then head north to Santa Margirita then hit Hwy 58 to Bakersfield. Then take 178 up the mountain (this road will match the Dragon in TN anyday but longer) all the way to Hwy 14. North to 178 then over to 395. South to Hwy 58 and then all the way to Barstow.

Here becomes the problem. From McKittrick to Bakersfield its flat and hot, and then from Hwy 14 to Barstow its flat and hot, its hot (desert).

It is challenging in some places and its has some great high speed sweepers as well as takes you up out of the smog of Bakersfield. I think it can be done in about 10 hours and knock out some good miles. Going farther south you can add another 100 or so miles and that would be another 80 miles or so of technical riding.

So that is an option. Picking up the Angles Crest Highway would be the additional 100 miles or so. If it was me (I live to ride long distance) I'd add the extra miles but it depends on when you plan on leaving and how much saddle time you want. Let me know and I can add the next part.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant
Charlie, I like this option; would like to soak up as much of the PCH as possible but hate to stuck in traffic for miles so this route would probably do. I would just have to deal with the heat and the flat which reminds me of west KS.

I do have a gps and my plan is ride through Vegas, Hoover then Zion NP to meet up with some buddies at Delta, UT the next day, the continue heading east to CO then home to KS.

Thanks for providing me the info, it definitely helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think once you have reached San Luis Obispo you riden the best part of the PCH. Again it being Friday and traffic always becomes a challenge when planning any ride in the LA Basin.

Another alternative (the extra 100 miles) to look at is the following:

Continue south on the PCH and go to Ojai. When you get to Carpinteria take Hwy 150 to Ojai. Turn on Hwy 33 and head north. Follow this for about 35 miles till you come to Lockwood Valley Rd (should be a National Forest Office on the right before you get there). Follow this to Frazier Rd (T and turn rt) to I-5. You can go under the Interstate and at the stop sign turn rt on Gorman Rd. Take this to Hwy 138 and turn left to Three Point Rd. Turn right. Follow this to Lake Hughes and then continue to San Francisquita Canyon Rd. Turn Rt. Go to Spunky Canyon Rd and tyrn left. Follow to the T and turn rt on Bouquet Canyon Rd. Follow this till you get to Vasquez Canyon and turn Lft. Go to Sierra Hwy and turn rt. Follow Sierra Hwy all the way to Hwy 126. get on Hwy 126 and get off on exit 30 in Vincent. Find Angles Forest Hwy and head back into the mountains. This connects to Angles Crest and then follow your original route.

Maps out around 660 miles. But it is again some great Southern California off-beaten roads that are technical at times and great high speed sweepers.

Some points of interest are the Deer Lodge in Ojai (a good place for food and a weekend MC destination). Harleys Rock Inn in Lake Hughes (a good place for food and a weekend MC destination). And then on the Angles Crest Hwy there is a place that use to on weekend have live music and (a good place for food and a weekend MC destination).

Maybe some others will chime in. I am of the philosophy that less traffic and off the beaten path are where I want to go. Can't vouche for road contiditions (it's California) but they were all passable the last time I was through there (Nov 2009). It also takes out the desert and will be somewhat cooler. It's only saddle time and gaging from the trip you are describing you have plenty of saddle time planned.

Hwy 166 (Santa Maria) to 33 then Lockwood Vally (it cuts off 60 miles) is not bad if you don't want to back track any and decide that PCH is to busy on Friday.

To be frank, I would stay off the PCH during the summer (traffic), and from where you are I'd head east and ride the west faces of the Sierra Nevada's, but at I noted I'm a road alot less travel rider. Again note I am that type of rider.

Hope this helps. Sounds difficult but with a GPS and some patience I think you'd see some of California that many miss and you'd not have to deal with the LA Basin traffic on a Friday afternoon. Plus you will be worn out and have had a large dose of twisties.

I will warn you that if you are planning crossing the Mojave leave early in the morning (EARLY) before it gets hot. First long ride I made on my 1975 (that's right) Wing (sept 1975), I did it during the day time and wound up so sunburned that I was fricking miserable for about a week.

Are you planning on doing the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Canyonland, Four Corners in this ride? Because out of Zion to the North rim is a great scenic ride, and the North Rim to me is the better side of the Grand Canyon.

Sorry for such a long report. If I am being to nosey I apoligize. This reminds me of the many miles I use to put on my wings and valks when I lived and worked in California. Good memories for me and my riding partner. In 2001 - 2002 we put over 40K miles on our Valks (I/S and tourer) and these were many of the roads that we travelled.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Those are all some great roads, but I think when you consider 660 miles, and add a Friday afternoon that might turn into a long, tiring ride(13 hours or more). Make sure you are ready for the heat going through the desert. It can be very unforgiving.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think once you have reached San Luis Obispo you riden the best part of the PCH. Again it being Friday and traffic always becomes a challenge when planning any ride in the LA Basin.

Another alternative (the extra 100 miles) to look at is the following:

Continue south on the PCH and go to Ojai. When you get to Carpinteria take Hwy 150 to Ojai. Turn on Hwy 33 and head north. Follow this for about 35 miles till you come to Lockwood Valley Rd (should be a National Forest Office on the right before you get there). Follow this to Frazier Rd (T and turn rt) to I-5. You can go under the Interstate and at the stop sign turn rt on Gorman Rd. Take this to Hwy 138 and turn left to Three Point Rd. Turn right. Follow this to Lake Hughes and then continue to San Francisquita Canyon Rd. Turn Rt. Go to Spunky Canyon Rd and tyrn left. Follow to the T and turn rt on Bouquet Canyon Rd. Follow this till you get to Vasquez Canyon and turn Lft. Go to Sierra Hwy and turn rt. Follow Sierra Hwy all the way to Hwy 126. get on Hwy 126 and get off on exit 30 in Vincent. Find Angles Forest Hwy and head back into the mountains. This connects to Angles Crest and then follow your original route.

Maps out around 660 miles. But it is again some great Southern California off-beaten roads that are technical at times and great high speed sweepers.

Some points of interest are the Deer Lodge in Ojai (a good place for food and a weekend MC destination). Harleys Rock Inn in Lake Hughes (a good place for food and a weekend MC destination). And then on the Angles Crest Hwy there is a place that use to on weekend have live music and (a good place for food and a weekend MC destination).

Maybe some others will chime in. I am of the philosophy that less traffic and off the beaten path are where I want to go. Can't vouche for road contiditions (it's California) but they were all passable the last time I was through there (Nov 2009). It also takes out the desert and will be somewhat cooler. It's only saddle time and gaging from the trip you are describing you have plenty of saddle time planned.

Hwy 166 (Santa Maria) to 33 then Lockwood Vally (it cuts off 60 miles) is not bad if you don't want to back track any and decide that PCH is to busy on Friday.

To be frank, I would stay off the PCH during the summer (traffic), and from where you are I'd head east and ride the west faces of the Sierra Nevada's, but at I noted I'm a road alot less travel rider. Again note I am that type of rider.

Hope this helps. Sounds difficult but with a GPS and some patience I think you'd see some of California that many miss and you'd not have to deal with the LA Basin traffic on a Friday afternoon. Plus you will be worn out and have had a large dose of twisties.

I will warn you that if you are planning crossing the Mojave leave early in the morning (EARLY) before it gets hot. First long ride I made on my 1975 (that's right) Wing (sept 1975), I did it during the day time and wound up so sunburned that I was fricking miserable for about a week.

Are you planning on doing the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Canyonland, Four Corners in this ride? Because out of Zion to the North rim is a great scenic ride, and the North Rim to me is the better side of the Grand Canyon.

Sorry for such a long report. If I am being to nosey I apoligize. This reminds me of the many miles I use to put on my wings and valks when I lived and worked in California. Good memories for me and my riding partner. In 2001 - 2002 we put over 40K miles on our Valks (I/S and tourer) and these were many of the roads that we travelled.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant
thanks Charlie, that's a lot of very good info. Most likely I will take the 58 route to Bakersfields then up to the mountain from there, and 395 then 58 Barstow. As I remember, it is about 550 mile-day so I can myself rest up and up early next morning to cross the Mojave.

I will be looking into the Zion and Grand Canyon leg more, if time allows, i will do both then take I-15 all the way north to Delta,UT.

thanks again, this is good info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts