GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home with my new 2012 Wing after putting the first 500 miles on her today. It's a white one with navigation/comfort/XM.

The first thinig I noticed was the improved slow speed handling as I left the dealer's parking lot. The first street corner also showed improved handling and subsequently during the day I became more and more impressed with how much improvement has been made to the handling of a bike that was already a very good handler.

Also readily apparent is the improved ride quality of the 2012. The expansion joints that typically would jolt the bars on my other GL1800's were still noticeable but in a much less intrusive manner.

There seems to be some improvement in managing wind turbulence as the cockpit seemed calmer from knees to shoulders. It appears that the heat blowing out of the radiators will now be mostly channeled around the outside of the passenger's legs.

The seat is markedly improved over that of my 2006 Wing. I rode 900 miles today with the last 500 coming on the new bike in a little over 7 hours. It was basically tank to tank riding with little stoppage and my butt bothered me very little. I stood on the pegs a few times to renew circulation. The saddle sits deeper than the '06 model and there is improved lumbar support. Perhaps a backrest isn't needed?

Alternator whine is much less than on my other GL1800's. Hopefully it stays that way.

The new bike averaged 38 mpg on a relatively windless day at 70-75 mph. This is about 2 mpg lower than my '06. I expect some improvement as the bike breaks in.

And now the "issues" I have with this bike:

1. The navigation system is nearly useless because you cannot do anything while moving and it has all of Garmin's crappy software issues about trying to take you down roads that don't exist. For some reason it's ok to fiddle around with an ipod, cb or whatever but by god you can't mess with that navigation! Wow!

2. Whereas my previous GL1800's had blazing headlights, the 2012's are anemic in comparison. Honda took three steps backwards on this one. :no:I'm glad I have an old set of PIAA driving lights lying around from my GL1200 days. There seems to be too much spread between high and low beams. If you set the low beams where they work best then the high beams will be shining off in Never Never Land. The headlights are also not adjustable on the go anymore....another boneheaded move by some safety hound at mother Honda. I say fire the do-gooder who thinks we shouldn't make our won decisions about what is safe.

3. Supposedly the sound system is improved but it seems just as weak as before to me.

4. White definitely looks dirty when it gets dirty!

All in all I'm quite happy after the first day with the new Wing. Frankly, the effectiveness of the ride, handling and saddle improvements surprised me. I expected the lousy nav system but the headlight downgrade really bothers me as I ride a lot at night in deer country.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Check and see if you have the stereo set for surround sound,and test a cd using iPod/usb..........mine is super quality at any speeds.you can hear the vocals,string insruments so clear cruising the interstate at 70..........so check youre settings something is defentily wrong here. My buddy has a 03 and has installed a larger amp on his...........and he says mine blows his away.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I'm interested in your comment on the headlamps.
Although the area surrounding the actual optical surfaces of the housings have been blacked out, the "working" areas are the same as past 1800 headlamps, so I'm puzzled by your comment.
It may be an aiming problem, not only up/down but "sideways also.
Here's how to properly aim the headlamps. If you choose to do this, let us know if you think there is an improvement.

HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE​

Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed from under the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!
Added comment-obviously the part about the auto adjust settings do not apply to the 2012's since you stated that feature is no longer available!

·
Love The DCT
12,153 Posts
I just got home with my new 2012 Wing after putting the first 500 miles on her today. It's a white one with navigation/comfort/XM.

The first thinig I noticed was the improved slow speed handling as I left the dealer's parking lot. The first street corner also showed improved handling and subsequently during the day I became more and more impressed with how much improvement has been made to the handling of a bike that was already a very good handler.

Also readily apparent is the improved ride quality of the 2012. The expansion joints that typically would jolt the bars on my other GL1800's were still noticeable but in a much less intrusive manner.

There seems to be some improvement in managing wind turbulence as the cockpit seemed calmer from knees to shoulders. It appears that the heat blowing out of the radiators will now be mostly channeled around the outside of the passenger's legs.

The seat is markedly improved over that of my 2006 Wing. I rode 900 miles today with the last 500 coming on the new bike in a little over 7 hours. It was basically tank to tank riding with little stoppage and my butt bothered me very little. I stood on the pegs a few times to renew circulation. The saddle sits deeper than the '06 model and there is improved lumbar support. Perhaps a backrest isn't needed?

Alternator whine is much less than on my other GL1800's. Hopefully it stays that way.

The new bike averaged 38 mpg on a relatively windless day at 70-75 mph. This is about 2 mpg lower than my '06. I expect some improvement as the bike breaks in.

And now the "issues" I have with this bike:

1. The navigation system is nearly useless because you cannot do anything while moving and it has all of Garmin's crappy software issues about trying to take you down roads that don't exist. For some reason it's ok to fiddle around with an ipod, cb or whatever but by god you can't mess with that navigation! Wow!

2. Whereas my previous GL1800's had blazing headlights, the 2012's are anemic in comparison. Honda took three steps backwards on this one. :no:I'm glad I have an old set of PIAA driving lights lying around from my GL1200 days. There seems to be too much spread between high and low beams. If you set the low beams where they work best then the high beams will be shining off in Never Never Land. The headlights are also not adjustable on the go anymore....another boneheaded move by some safety hound at mother Honda. I say fire the do-gooder who thinks we shouldn't make our won decisions about what is safe.

3. Supposedly the sound system is improved but it seems just as weak as before to me.

4. White definitely looks dirty when it gets dirty!

All in all I'm quite happy after the first day with the new Wing. Frankly, the effectiveness of the ride, handling and saddle improvements surprised me. I expected the lousy nav system but the headlight downgrade really bothers me as I ride a lot at night in deer country.
How is #4 an "issue" with the bike? :shrug: If ya ride it, it's going to get dirty. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is #4 an "issue" with the bike? :shrug: If ya ride it, it's going to get dirty. :doorag:
Well, compared to my '06 titanium, this one is going to look very dirty! I'm a rider, not a shiner.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Your 06 had some miles I guess so the new bike will feel like the suspension is better than the old one, Just likes on a car, they go bad slowly so you really don't notice them going bad until you put new ones in or drive a new vehicle. When I picked up my new 08 I thought it rode a lot better than my 02 but that was because everything was new. Congrats on your new bike, I'm sure you get many happy miles from it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm interested in your comment on the headlamps.
Although the area surrounding the actual optical surfaces of the housings have been blacked out, the "working" areas are the same as past 1800 headlamps, so I'm puzzled by your comment.
It may be an aiming problem, not only up/down but "sideways also.
Here's how to properly aim the headlamps. If you choose to do this, let us know if you think there is an improvement.

HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE​

Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed from under the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!
Added comment-obviously the part about the auto adjust settings do not apply to the 2012's since you stated that feature is no longer available!
Thanks for the aiming procedure advice. I'll check it out. Better aiming may help but, IMO, these are just weak lights. I suppose I'll be trying other bulbs to see if they help.

I noticed the lack of headlight power at dusk when road signs weren't reflecting back at me like they normally would from my other Gl1800's. As it got darker I stopped three times to adjust the height of the lights but there was no ideal setting...either too high for good high beam effectiveness or too low for the low beams. With the amount of truck traffic we have and the corresponding number of "gators" on the highway, I have to have good low beams.

There was also a significant loss of illumination of the ditches relative my past GW's. This is especially disappointing on low beam because that's what is necessary to use most of the time.

The headlights aren't a deal breaker for me as long as there are other options to improve the lighting. The 2012 GL1800 is a great touring bike!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I agree that both slow speed & highway handleing are improved, the stereo sounds great on the outside speakers but is not nearly as good as my 07 was on the headset.
The head lights are ever bit as good as before to me, sounds like the ones on Gizmo's bike need adjustment

·
Registered
19,378 Posts
I have not compared lights old and new side by side. But one wonders if Honda took a step backwards on this feature

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, another week has gone by and I have a little more to add.

I finally got the IPOD plugged in and, as some others have suggested, the sound is excellent even through the speakers. Being able to control it through the bike's sound system works great.

I have gone through the headlight aiming process and nothing was out of the ordinary there. I also did my walk-around test of the lights' low beam visibility to other drivers at various angles and they seem to be just as poor in that regard, possibly worse, as my previous GL1800's. I'm still disappointed with the headlights so my old PIAA driving lights will get installed ASAP and I'll also try different bulbs.

I had the bike parked in front of a local restaurant the other night and it attracted several gawkers and positive comments much to the chagrin , I'm sure, of the group of run-of-the-mill HD's parked across the street! :joke:

I'm currently checking out the maximum fuel range of the bike and will report on that in the future.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Headlights are still adjustable, but the bike has to be stopped on the 2012.

BTW: The weather mapping is great. Had storms chasing me all the way from NY to southeast NH, yesterday.

Made it dry all the way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's good news. Did you have Traxxion on your previous Goldwing? Just wondering about a comparison of the suspension in general.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's good news. Did you have Traxxion on your previous Goldwing? Just wondering about a comparison of the suspension in general.
I've never had a Traxxion bike nor have I ridden one so I can't compare. All I know is that I really like the suspension on the 2012 Wing. Frankly, I could care less if any bike has a deceleration wobble with hands off the bars. IMO, the phenomenon varies between Gold Wings depending primarily on age, mileage and tire brand and wear. Perhaps my 2012 will eventually develop a wobble but that issue alone certainly won't convince me that spending 3 grand on the suspension is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Great Headlights

Strange but I was VERY impressed with the headlight on my 2012 GW. It has the best headlight of any bike I've ever ridden. Mine is set high, all the way up, but no one has flashed at me yet. Most comfortable stock seat ever. Handling is good, but little bumps a bit jarring. Ride almost better two up.

Of course, this is my first Wing so YMMV.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I now have close to 10K miles on mine.

I pretty much like all the improvements on it.

I have had a few minor issues with the electronics, though.

I can't say I'm pleased with the Navigation compared to my 07 (pre NT system).

Not as much detail, woman's voice too deep and often mispronounced words, use of street names instead of route numbers.

Two or three times the Navigation went to a blank screen while underway.

Once I could not get the welcome screen to come up at bike turn on.

A number of times I noticed that switching songs (using a memory stick) resulted in a map redraw. Other times it didn't.

Just wonder if there is a master reset available.

·
Registered
387 Posts
:congrats: on your new Wing.

If you want to improve you headlights checkout DDM Tuning for a set of their HID lights ($40). They're 3X brighter than Halogen bulbs. I have a set in my low beams and have never needed to use my high beams. I also have EC's new HID driving lights ($130) in the lower cowl and I have no problem seeing or being seen day or night. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts