GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Aluma. I am changing the lower lights to full function, tail, turn and stop. I have gotten new lights and a converter from 5 wire to four wire. How do I wire the 3rd brake light so it functions properly?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Aluma Wiring Question

"This may take minute. I did the same thing with my Aluma Trailer, but I used the two lower lights that came with the trailer. I replaced the upper bar light with a three function bar light. The light bar tail light configuration is a diode on each end and one in the middle. The rest of the light bar is brake, and left and right signal. I had to get the rear panel repaired because the new bar light was shorter than the original. Because it is how I want it, it was worth the $150 bucks to have the now exposed old mounting holes patched and the rear panel repainted. What you will need is a five to four converter and replace the 5 round plug on the trailer with a 4 wire flat plug. No big deal, just fold back the red brake wire and tape it off. The converter is mounted beneath the top case behind the removable rear panel that the license is mounted on. The converter uses the same diodes for stop and signal. It essentially gives the signal light function priority over the brake light. When I apply the brake all three light fixtures light up. When the signal light is activated then those same diodes blink. I hope this makes sense. It took me a couple of days to make sure it would work like I wanted. Since the rewire its been 1½ years and not a problem."

The above quote was my response to your original question a few weeks back. I'm not bustin' your chops, but this change you are trying to make can't be accomplished unless you get the right fixtures for the modification. The bar light has to be changed to a three function light in order to go from a 5 to 4 plug. As you can see by the diagram from the post above, the signal and brake light now use the same wire.

Good luck lefty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts