GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to start my wing today and the battery wasn't quite charged enough to turn the starter. I don't get it...battery is only one year old and I've always kept a battery tender on the battery except for the last few weeks since the weather has been getting nice and I've been riding the bike.
I did install some Electrical Connection Fog lights on my bike the other day and had the lights on for a few minutes without the engine running after the install, but it's hard to believe that little bit of LED lights on would drain the battery....anyways I jumped started the bike and it started right up. I went riding for the day and didn't have any problems the rest of the day. I am convinced now that one of those small battery jumpers is going to be a must have. Anybody know how long the warranty with the bike covers the battery?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Anybody know how long the warranty with the bike covers the battery?
My dealer told me that it was 12 months warranty on the battery. He said they would pull it out, test it, and if it was bad, it would be replaced at no cost. It turned out that my battery was fine but the starter/generator was toast.

·
Chard Member
13,046 Posts
It was three years on earlier model Wings. I had a couple replaced

I had to call Honda Customer service to get the correct answer. Dealer said only one year. He was wrong....

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've installed the EC fog lights. Keep the battery on a maintainer (Optimate 3) and have had zero problems. When we went to Austin, I did not take the tender, but the bike had absolutely no problems for the entire 5 days we were there. I still keep the tender on the bike when parked in the garage, but I also take along a GOOLOO battery brick just in case. I have used the GOOLOO a couple times, but it was to start other peoples cars. The only time I've used it for myself is to run the mini-compressor to add air to the tires once.

I guess I'm lucky the only issue I've had is the heated grips failing. Still got to take the bike in for that. Oh, I guess the other problem I had was the kick stand not working the way it was supposed to when I dropped the bike at the gas station that time >:) I thought the Honda engineers had figured out everything but the AI for the kick stand :wink2: Fortunately, no damage except to my soul/ego.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
are dealers supposed to charge up the battery before delivery? could this be an issue?

never use a battery tender unless the bike is parked more than a couple of months...no issues at all on my 2018 or my 2005 (I changed it after 10 years just as a caution, original was still working well)

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Honda agrees with thekid.

page 144:

Charging

If you use electrical accessories that drain the battery or you do not ride frequently, we recommend that you charge the battery
every 30 days using a charger designed specifically for your Honda, which can be purchased from your dealer. Read the
information that came with your battery charger and follow the instructions on the battery. Avoid using an automobile-type
battery charger, as these can overheat a motorcycle battery and cause permanent damage.
Make sure the ignition switch is turned to OFF before charging the battery.

FWIW, the drain when shut off is much less on 1833 than it was on 1832 (and both use the same Yuasa battery)

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
are dealers supposed to charge up the battery before delivery? could this be an issue?

never use a battery tender unless the bike is parked more than a couple of months...no issues at all on my 2018 or my 2005 (I changed it after 10 years just as a caution, original was still working well)

The dealers are supposed to but they don't. First thing I did on mine when I brought it home, it got a full charge. Been fine since.:smile2:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don’t use a charger either; however, I always have mine plugged into a maintainer.

Reactions: Pigeon Roost

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hope your luck with Honda warranty on battery is better than mine. I am still fuming...I purchased a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT end of March, 2018. I rode it almost daily. I purchased the recommended battery maintainer from the dealership, which was about 55 miles away from my home. I even paid the dealership $10 to hook up the leads to the battery during my first service. I had it serviced at 1000 miles, then again at 4000 miles. Any accessories that had been installed on the bike was done by this dealership. The only thing I have done to bike, other than ride it on an almost daily basis, was check the oil level and tire pressure. When it turned cool here, in November, 2018, I saw that I was going to have to go a couple of weeks without riding due to bad weather. I hooked it up to the battery maintainer. Everything looked good on the maintainer. All the indicator lights were showing things were correct. Then we had a nice spell of weather, so I took it off the maintainer and tried to crank it. It would turn over but not start. After multiple attempts, no cranky. I hooked it back up to maintainer and tried again the next day. No cranky. I called the dealership. I even shot a video of what bike was doing and emailed it to the service rep. They said it didnt sound like the battery, but needed to check it. Honda does not pay towing for warranty repair, so I had to agree to pay them based on mileage. It cost me $220 in towing fee for them to come and get my bike. (55 miles away). I started doing some research here and found at least 3 others that had their batteries replaced under warranty due to being defective. I called dealership and told them of others with defective batteries and they checked mine. I got a call back saying the battery tested defective and would try to get Honda to replace under warranty, but they said Honda was hard to get to replace a battery under warranty due to some doing their own installs, bike sitting for long periods of time, yadda yadda yadda. They said that due to the mileage on bike, (6300 miles at time) they knew this bike was not sitting and I bought the maintainer from them. It was now coming up on their Christmas break as they close for a week or so during holidays. I told them I would like to get my bike back before they closed. They said they had not yet been authorized to replace battery under warranty and I could pay for it up front and get bike, as bike was starting fine with new battery installed. They would reimburse me after Honda replaced battery under warranty. I agreed to this and ended up having to pay them $390 total to pick up my bike. $220 towing plus $170 for battery. Anyway, I get bike and pay. The bike has run flawlessly since then, so it definitely was the battery. Here is where things turned sour. I call dealership back to get update on the reimbursement. This was a couple of weeks after I got the bike. At that time, they had not submitted all the necessary things for the warranty replacement, which should have already been done, but they said they would do it then. Then, I get a call back a day or so later. The dealership tells me that when they were uploading the info for the warranty, that they noticed on the test ticket that when they did the initial test, it is supposed to be charged 4 hours to test. It indicated that it had "insufficient" time charged on the ticket, so they then tested it again and let it charge for longer than 4 hours. Then they checked it and it checked OK. He said that now Honda would not replace the battery under warranty. He said that he firmly believed that the battery was defective, but the choices I had was to eat the $170 and keep the new battery or I ride back up to his shop and they would refund the $170 but put the battery he believes is bad back into my motorcycle. I thought this was stupid since he said he believed it to be bad. So bottom line is, I simply went out to crank my brand new motorcycle and it would not start, and even though it was under warranty, I still had to pay $390 to get my bike running again, as Honda would not cover the battery. May change dealerships over this. I also have a case of the red ass against mother Honda. I don't know if it would be worth it to purchase an extended warranty from Honda if they are unwilling to make things right in a situation such as this. I may open up a case with Honda, but it may be too late, I don't know.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope your luck with Honda warranty on battery is better than mine. I am still fuming...I purchased a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT end of March, 2018. I rode it almost daily. I purchased the recommended battery maintainer from the dealership, which was about 55 miles away from my home. I even paid the dealership $10 to hook up the leads to the battery during my first service. I had it serviced at 1000 miles, then again at 4000 miles. Any accessories that had been installed on the bike was done by this dealership. The only thing I have done to bike, other than ride it on an almost daily basis, was check the oil level and tire pressure. When it turned cool here, in November, 2018, I saw that I was going to have to go a couple of weeks without riding due to bad weather. I hooked it up to the battery maintainer. Everything looked good on the maintainer. All the indicator lights were showing things were correct. Then we had a nice spell of weather, so I took it off the maintainer and tried to crank it. It would turn over but not start. After multiple attempts, no cranky. I hooked it back up to maintainer and tried again the next day. No cranky. I called the dealership. I even shot a video of what bike was doing and emailed it to the service rep. They said it didnt sound like the battery, but needed to check it. Honda does not pay towing for warranty repair, so I had to agree to pay them based on mileage. It cost me $220 in towing fee for them to come and get my bike. (55 miles away). I started doing some research here and found at least 3 others that had their batteries replaced under warranty due to being defective. I called dealership and told them of others with defective batteries and they checked mine. I got a call back saying the battery tested defective and would try to get Honda to replace under warranty, but they said Honda was hard to get to replace a battery under warranty due to some doing their own installs, bike sitting for long periods of time, yadda yadda yadda. They said that due to the mileage on bike, (6300 miles at time) they knew this bike was not sitting and I bought the maintainer from them. It was now coming up on their Christmas break as they close for a week or so during holidays. I told them I would like to get my bike back before they closed. They said they had not yet been authorized to replace battery under warranty and I could pay for it up front and get bike, as bike was starting fine with new battery installed. They would reimburse me after Honda replaced battery under warranty. I agreed to this and ended up having to pay them $390 total to pick up my bike. $220 towing plus $170 for battery. Anyway, I get bike and pay. The bike has run flawlessly since then, so it definitely was the battery. Here is where things turned sour. I call dealership back to get update on the reimbursement. This was a couple of weeks after I got the bike. At that time, they had not submitted all the necessary things for the warranty replacement, which should have already been done, but they said they would do it then. Then, I get a call back a day or so later. The dealership tells me that when they were uploading the info for the warranty, that they noticed on the test ticket that when they did the initial test, it is supposed to be charged 4 hours to test. It indicated that it had "insufficient" time charged on the ticket, so they then tested it again and let it charge for longer than 4 hours. Then they checked it and it checked OK. He said that now Honda would not replace the battery under warranty. He said that he firmly believed that the battery was defective, but the choices I had was to eat the $170 and keep the new battery or I ride back up to his shop and they would refund the $170 but put the battery he believes is bad back into my motorcycle. I thought this was stupid since he said he believed it to be bad. So bottom line is, I simply went out to crank my brand new motorcycle and it would not start, and even though it was under warranty, I still had to pay $390 to get my bike running again, as Honda would not cover the battery. May change dealerships over this. I also have a case of the red ass against mother Honda. I don't know if it would be worth it to purchase an extended warranty from Honda if they are unwilling to make things right in a situation such as this. I may open up a case with Honda, but it may be too late, I don't know.
Sorry to hear that it cost you so much to just replace a battery. I might just eat the costs and replace the battery myself. Its just not worth the hassle of dropping my bike off at the dealer for just a battery for me.

Revzilla wants 112 dollars for a battery and I'll check my dealer to see if they will match the price. I've never have had a battery issue with a one year old battery before now....its funny because I started my bike and moved it out in the driveway and shut it off...then 15 minutes later the bike wouldn't turn over and start. I'm definitely getting one of those small power bricks that can jump start the bike and will carry it on the bike...you never know when it might be needed.

·
Registered
605 Posts
In hindsight, I would have simply bought a new battery. But, after I sent the dealership a video of me trying to crank it, they did not think it was the battery. Then they came and got it and learned that the battery was my problem after I ate the $220 towing charge. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It's not funny to have a dead battery or to be scammed by a dealer/manufacturer.....But I do find it funny that there seams to be a number of battery issues where the battery's are defective...yet everyone replaces the battery with the same manufactured battery that Honda initially put into the bike....Although Honda should stand behind its bike...Yuasa is really the company we should be boycotting....if you see a Yuasa booth at a rally...display your disappointment in their battery's....and don't replace the battery with a Yuasa find a different battery...when everyone starts replacing their Yuasa batteries with different manufacturers a clear message will be sent to Yuasa.....JMO

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not funny to have a dead battery or to be scammed by a dealer/manufacturer.....But I do find it funny that there seams to be a number of battery issues where the battery's are defective...yet everyone replaces the battery with the same manufactured battery that Honda initially put into the bike....Although Honda should stand behind its bike...Yuasa is really the company we should be boycotting....if you see a Yuasa booth at a rally...display your disappointment in their battery's....and don't replace the battery with a Yuasa find a different battery...when everyone starts replacing their Yuasa batteries with different manufacturers a clear message will be sent to Yuasa.....JMO
Yea, but I've had great service life from Yuasa batteries...and they are American made. The Yuasa battery in my 03 was in service for 9 years and 5 months. I have the same battery in my Yamaha and it too lasted over 9 years. It's only been with this new Gold Wing that I have had any issues with Yuasa batteries....I don't know maybe its just a fluke with my battery, but there have been quite a few battery issues reported in the last year for some reason...I thought it was because the dealers weren't fully charging the battery before being put into service

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Yea, but I've had great service life from Yuasa batteries...and they are American made. The Yuasa battery in my 03 was in service for 9 years and 5 months. I have the same battery in my Yamaha and it too lasted over 9 years. It's only been with this new Gold Wing that I have had any issues with Yuasa batteries....I don't know maybe its just a fluke with my battery, but there have been quite a few battery issues reported in the last year for some reason...I thought it was because the dealers weren't fully charging the battery before being put into service

I hear what you are saying....I always had Yuasa batteries...but I am now thinking Yuasa had a bad design or production run in their latest battery's.....I would love Yuasa to put out a statement as to why batteries are failing...Safe Rides

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Sorry to hear that it cost you so much to just replace a battery. I might just eat the costs and replace the battery myself. Its just not worth the hassle of dropping my bike off at the dealer for just a battery for me.

Revzilla wants 112 dollars for a battery and I'll check my dealer to see if they will match the price. I've never have had a battery issue with a one year old battery before now....its funny because I started my bike and moved it out in the driveway and shut it off...then 15 minutes later the bike wouldn't turn over and start. I'm definitely getting one of those small power bricks that can jump start the bike and will carry it on the bike...you never know when it might be needed.

I buy them from Amazon. Free shipping.:smile2:
GYZ20L
$86.99

·
Registered
16,972 Posts

Your failed battery is acting like one that has previously been deeply discharged, perhaps at the dealership.

In hindsight, I would have simply bought a new battery. But, after I sent the dealership a video of me trying to crank it, they did not think it was the battery. Then they came and got it and learned that the battery was my problem after I ate the $220 towing charge. Good luck.
An ethical dealership would offer to cover your expenses that were due to their misdiagnosis.

If you have any DIY aptitude and battery is in question, check the voltage between the terminals with engine off. Should be in upper 12v range to near 13V. Check again with engine running, should read within Honda spec range, probably in 14V area. If battery still suspect, charge fully and take to auto parts store for load test. If OK, then you have another problem.

prs

Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
5,955 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I put my bike on an Optimate whenever I’m not riding it. It’s always ready when I’m ready.

Beagle

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
John, in which town is the dealer you're talking about that is 55 miles away from Easley? Greenville isn't that far and neither is Spartanburg.
Where did you buy your bike? Anderson maybe?

At least for the S.C. boys around here, if they had trouble on a trip thru that area, it would be nice to know the dealer to avoid.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts