GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Honda GL1800 Goldwing rules! I want another bike to cruise. I'm looking at the Yamaha Road Star 2004 1700 or the Kawasaki 1600 2004. Anyone have an opinion? What about the air cooled, older engine technology (no fuel injection, pushrods etc. ) on the Yamaha verses the newer technology of the Kaw. I have read all the on line articles but wanted to ask the people who ride 'em. Thanks.

G

·
I had a 2002 Yamaha V-star, never had a prob with the air cooled. They are proven engines and technology in my opinion. I wasn't a big fan of the carbs though, cold morning starts were a pain in the arse.
I sold it and bought a 2003 wing becuase I wanted to have crack and ecm problems like everyone else. I just HATE to feel left out. :caesar:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Forget about carburated engines. Kawasaki and Yamaha make excellent F.I. cruisers. My wife has a Kaw Vulcan Nomad F.I.. Nice bike for the money. Here in Charlotte, NC Charlotte Honda has an "03 Kaw 1600 for $8600. There are many other bargains, buy b4 the spring rush is on.
Randy F
'02 Silver

G

·
Second bike....

The VTX, whether 1300 or 1800 will make you an XCELLENT 2nd bike. Plus you can get you parts cheap at HDL.

·
Chard Member
13,218 Posts
Why not a HD product? If you decide you don't use a second bike, you won't lose you shirt when you sell. Plenty of good used Sportsters on the market.

How about a Valkyrie? Different, but will go anywhere with comfort.

G

·
Wait a bit for the Triumph Rocket III. It very well may rule the roost. And it has the advantage that you can use it to pull stumps in your back yard when you're not riding. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
??I wonder where that road goes??

Hey gang,
Are you ever on your Wing, and pass a dirt road and wonder where it goes, but would never think of taking our beloved wing down it??
Over the past 4 years I've wished I had a 'dual-sport' bike to explore those kinds of places.
Last week I purchased a 625 KTM SXC that the dealer is converting to street legal by putting different tires and brake light on. It's a big thumper that will put a smile on your dirty face.
I remember when I was a kid(many moons ago) a large dirt bike was a 360. This is almost 2x larger and ~4 times faster. How does 105 mph on a dirt bike sound(with stock gearing).
This makes me wonder how many of us wingers are out there that have dirt bikes and secondeary bikes.
That may be a good different thread

See Ya,

Bill

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i would suggest a valk, very proven engine and a smooth bike.

i also have seen some real nice prices on the polaris bikes on ebay, maybe too good of a bargain to pass up.

loren

·
Registered
107 Posts
Different Bike

One of my riding buds has a Yamaha Royal Star Silverado. I'd stay away from that one. His spends more time at the dealership than in his garage. Mysterous noises, runs rich, or lean(I don't think it can make up its mind) depending on the day. Not to mention the oh my god vibration. He does get around 50mpg, and like most cruisers its good for local runs not to exced 150-200 miles. I'd opt for the Kaw ZZR1200, ZRX1200R, Honda VTX(Either), or maybe even a Kaw KLR650, best of both worlds good around town and great on the occasional dirt trail!

dMac

·
Young Buck
2,566 Posts
Red said:
Plenty of good used Sportsters on the market.
Yeah... there's a reason for that... Buying a Sportster is like buying a Honda Rebel 250. Yeah, sure... its a bike. But you aren't going to get much respect on it. Too many sellers... not enough takers.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Can't beat a Valk

Hard to say anything bad about a Valk as a 2nd bike. Did that for a while. The only problem is that it may just not be "different" enough. If $ is no object, I might consider a Road King. Beautiful bike for sure. Local dealer had, I say had, a new Valk for a short time this winter on the showroom floor. Had $10,000 on the sticker. It didn't last long. He's got a Rune for 20,000 on the floor. If I had the money.....

·
Chard Member
13,218 Posts
But you aren't going to get much respect on it.
mrgl02.....What does that mean? Is that the reason you ride? Is there a reason I should care what someone else thinks? That sounds like a comment I'd hear from the profiling RUBS at the HD shops. :( Respect! ROFLMAO

The Sportster was the "ONLY" real Harley left until this model year. It is still the oldest name badge they have. The Sportster has a huge following. I've owned them since 1969 and I still do.

Thanks for starting my day off with a chuckle! :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I just traded in my Honda Sabre for the goldwing because I can only afford one bike and the wife wanted to ride.

For crusin, power, sound, looks and fun, go with a Sabre, great bike!

A used one with 2-300 miles on it, should go for around 4-5000$, and the sabre folks trick them bad boys out!

Ony an 1100, but will hang with the vtx's for alot of the speedo range. And the paint jobs from the factory are awesome!

look for the sabre group on your search, and peruse thier site, lotsa cool folks with alot of knowlegde about the bike.

I looked at Yama's and Kawi's too before buying that bike, I had never owned a Honda before that, and I loved that bike!

Sarge

G

·
I can't give an exacting opinion as I have not ridden either of these - however I have had several Kawasaki's and bunches of Yamaha's and always liked the Yamaha's the best. I felt they were better built.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another Bike - opinions? Yep

Terry,

I think a lot of forum members suffer from the condition you have (myself included).

Motorcycles are in you blood.

Three years ago, I traded a 84 Venture Royale to my 02 wing. Last September I bought a 04 FJR. Saturday, I test rode a couple of Victory crusiers and stopped by the local Harley dealer.

Motorcycles and fine wine have a lot in common. You could drink the best Merlot with evey meal. But, No matter how much you like the wine, it still doesn't go with every meal.

Before you pull the trigger on another bike purchase, why not go ride every bike that has caught you eye in the last year? You might find you really want a Capo Nord instead of Royal Star.

My next bike is going to be a traditional style cruiser (I think) just for those days when only a cruiser will do.

Regards,
Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another Bike - opinions? Yep

Terry,

I think a lot of forum members suffer from the condition you have (myself included).

Motorcycles are in you blood.

Three years ago, I traded a 84 Venture Royale to my 02 wing. Last September I bought a 04 FJR. Saturday, I test rode a couple of Victory crusiers and stopped by the local Harley dealer.

Motorcycles and fine wine have a lot in common. You could drink the best Merlot with evey meal. But, No matter how much you like the wine, it still doesn't go with every meal.

Before you pull the trigger on another bike purchase, why not go ride every bike that has caught you eye in the last year? You might find you really want a Capo Nord instead of Royal Star.

My next bike is going to be a traditional style cruiser (I think) just for those days when only a cruiser will do.

Regards,
Ben

·
Registered
17,384 Posts
I am getting ready to purchase a VTX1300 retro or custom. Mainly for my son, but I will sneek it out on occasion. Neat bikes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.