GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 3rd time, one of my Tulsa Mirror Air Deflectors broke. I like the wind management these things provide, but I don't feel like investing once again on a product that keeps breaking so easily. I've searched some other options, but I always like to see what you guys have experienced for even more options.

These are looking pretty good to me... any feedback on them?

National Cycle GL1800 Quantum Hand Deflectors:
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/333_air_deflectors/31588_national_cycle_gl1800_quantum_hand_deflectors/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F333_goldwing_air_deflectors%2Fdes%2F

I'm open to other options as well. I've tried the Blind Spot Mirror & Mini Air Deflector, but didn't think they were any good at wind management.
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/333_air_deflectors/32586_gl1800_gl1500_blind_spot_mirror_mini_air/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F333_goldwing_air_deflectors%2Fdes%2F

What I like about the air deflectors on the mirror when they work effectively... they keep the wind off the hands which is beneficial in the winter for hand warmth. They also seem to reduce wind buffeting in the cockpit, beneficial to both me and my passenger.

I'm thinking that the adjustability of the National Cycle product that I linked above might be good to bring some air in in the summer, and to deflect air out in the winter. Any experience with these?

Thanks!
:cool:

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just got the Baker mirror wings and really like them. Just finished a 2800 mile trip and they were miles ahead of the Kury dragon wings I had. the kury went from mirror down to just above the knee. Didn't do much for cooling you. The hand wings, I would have to say are one(the) best things I have bought for the wing yet!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
How are they breaking? I have had mine for 2 years and 20,000 miles and have not experienced a problem. Are they breaking while riding?

Jeff....

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Custom Touring Windshields of Lakeland,Fl. 863-665-6719(Orville Sage) makes wind deflectors similar to Baker but thicker and stronger with stainless hardware. No web-site.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I have had mine on 3 diff bikes over 200K miles with no problems

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
How are they breaking? I have had mine for 2 years and 20,000 miles and have not experienced a problem. Are they breaking while riding?

Jeff....
I'd like to know too. Mine were put on when the bike had 2000 on it, it's now heading toward five years old (Nov.) and has 69K on it. When cleaned up the TMDs still look like new.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
7 years of using Baker Wings on two different bikes. No problems. I do not see how they could break. (too tight????)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They've never just broke off from air pressure or anything like that, they've usually been "bumped". But it doesn't seem to take much to have them fail. I don't think the screw was in too tight because it (the wind wing) was able to be rotated. Just seems to be of a cheesy design to me... a piece of plastic held on by a screw. I guess since I'm so rough on these things, I'm going to need more hardware to keep them on there. lol

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I guess since I'm so rough on these things, I'm going to need more hardware to keep them on there. lol
Think you nailed it! :lol: 52k+ miles, an '03.....no problem. It costs more when you abuse your equipment...lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts