GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother's been complaining that his new 08 Wing has a real buffeting issue at any speed over 65 or so. I'm sure this has been hashed out before, but, where do we go for a solution? He's 'standard' height/weight, if that matters..

·
Registered
688 Posts
He's 'standard' height/weight, if that matters..
So he's short and fat?
Just kidding! I have the same problem. The buffetting was so bad it rattled my teeth. I changed to a Tulsa +2 Freedom slide windshield. I pull the windshield all the way up if I'm on the interstate, and push it down on the back roads. I also installed the Baker Hand Wings. This combination helped alot, but didn't cure the problem. You will get all kind of suggestions, but most of them will involve an aftermarket windshield and hand wings. Some people will tell you it's a motorcycle, expect wind. The wind I don't mind, it's the loud popping, and helment shake I don't care for. Good luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just a thought, but maybe its the helmet that is worn. When I wear a Bell Shorty I feel hardly any buffet around the head. When I wear an HJC 3/4 I feel much more buffetting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So he's short and fat?
Good one!!! :lol:
I'll forward the info provided so far..
Thanks!!

Some people will tell you it's a motorcycle, expect wind.
Brother #2 also has a Wing, and he says "what buffeting problem". :shrug: He is only about 5'9" or so - dunno if that matters (Bro. #1 is about 5'11").

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am 6'2". I get the same from alot of the people I ride with "what buffetting". I have a closet full of helmets and so far the HJC Symax II seems to be the best for me. On my last motorcycle (Kawasaki Nomad) the common fix for buffetting was to change out the lowers, not quite as simple on the wing. You might have to try different windshields to see what works best for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had that same problem with my '08 Wing from day one. I am 6'3" tall and needed something. I ultimately chose the F4 plus 4 windshield. Its 4 inches taller than the standard shield and it made all the difference in the world.
Install took about an hour.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Just a thought, but maybe its the helmet that is worn. When I wear a Bell Shorty I feel hardly any buffet around the head. When I wear an HJC 3/4 I feel much more buffetting.
Yep, I agree with the helmet philosophy. Helmet style and fit have a big impact in my opinion. My 3/4 HJC AC-3 is much more prone to buffeting compared to my full face HJC FS-10. The full face also much quieter.

As another poster mentioned, I also have an F4 +4 windshield which helps a lot. Pretty still air behind that barn door.......

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I'm 5'9" and ride with the windshield all the way down. Yes there is some buffeting but not anything like on my other bikes. I thought I was in heaven riding the Wing - but I suppose that everything is relative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts