GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I posted something like this a while back and noticed others have had similar CB problems (like a virus going around) so here I go again. I'll try to be logical and systematic here...
Honda unit has been in my '05 since 06, no problems until '18.

PROBLEM
I can receive but not transmit. Same if I'm on the road or standing.

THE GOOD BITS
I get the TX when I key in.
IC transmit is fine, eliminating my new J&M upper & lower cords from the problem loop (right?)

WHAT I'VE DONE
Inspected, cleaned and tightened the strap from the antenna to the trunk. No breaks.
Checked the antenna line to the CB plug-in.
Checked the lines in/out of the filters and anything that goes up to but not including the radio (yet).
Battery main ground is fine as is load test.

THOUGHTS
Is there another ground I'm missing?
Can it be a radio connection? (Doubt it...only transmit is affected) All radio functions work.
Is there a CB unit test?
You great guys at Sierra...are you with me here?

That's all I got for now. Anybody?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You May have a bad contact at the Transmit lever. Try pressing down the Transmit lever and move it back and forth to rub the electrical contacts. If that fails, use a electrical contact switch cleaner to spray into the Transmit lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Find someone with a quality SWR meter and see if you are even getting something out to the antenna.

Could be the finals on your CB have gone bad.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The most common items I have encountered are the push to talk button needs cleaning or the headsets are faulty, cord connections are corroded and need cleaning. You said you replaced the cord. Did you clean the plug where the headset cord plugs in to the bike and to the headset. Have you had a buddy with a working headset plug into your bike as a test?
I did have one headset that the mike failed. I checked everything and was stumped until I tried a different headset.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Just a passing thought... What level is your squelch set at?
I remember having a communication problem on a ride years ago and found I had the squelch turned I believe way down.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Answers...

THOUGHTS

Don't think so...

Can it be a radio connection? (Doubt it...only transmit is affected)

Not necessarily. That connection is the one under the shelter...it might be a simple poor connection only to actually put you audio into the CB itself.

All radio functions work.

Again, there's a lot of interconnection between the head unit and the CB. Have you had your shelter off since the last time the CB was known to work?

Is there a CB unit test?

Yes, but again, most diagnostics needs to be within the system - i.e. in your bike - making sure this isn't the source of the problem.

You really need to find a local CB shop. Not to have them do anything to your radio, but to simply confirm your diagnosis.

Access to a SWR meter would be a good reference point as well...proving that the radio *and* the antenna is functional.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You May have a bad contact at the Transmit lever. Try pressing down the Transmit lever and move it back and forth to rub the electrical contacts. If that fails, use a electrical contact switch cleaner to spray into the Transmit lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both done. No difference.Thanks.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The most common items I have encountered are the push to talk button needs cleaning or the headsets are faulty, cord connections are corroded and need cleaning. You said you replaced the cord. Did you clean the plug where the headset cord plugs in to the bike and to the headset. Have you had a buddy with a working headset plug into your bike as a test?
I did have one headset that the mike failed. I checked everything and was stumped until I tried a different headset.

New headset installed by Sierra, new cords. The only old cord is the one from the bike. Cleaned it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a passing thought... What level is your squelch set at?
I remember having a communication problem on a ride years ago and found I had the squelch turned I believe way down.

Corventure Dave

Squelch level is ok. That's not my problem. When I key in the mic is dead. Works fine with IC.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Answers...

THOUGHTS

Don't think so...

Can it be a radio connection? (Doubt it...only transmit is affected)

Not necessarily. That connection is the one under the shelter...it might be a simple poor connection only to actually put you audio into the CB itself.

All radio functions work.

Again, there's a lot of interconnection between the head unit and the CB. Have you had your shelter off since the last time the CB was known to work?

Is there a CB unit test?

Yes, but again, most diagnostics needs to be within the system - i.e. in your bike - making sure this isn't the source of the problem.

You really need to find a local CB shop. Not to have them do anything to your radio, but to simply confirm your diagnosis.

Access to a SWR meter would be a good reference point as well...proving that the radio *and* the antenna is functional.

Looks like I may be on a trip under the shelter soon. Per your and another suggestion I'm looking up a cb shop.
My buddy's helmet rig gives the same results as mine.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Do you have a riding buddy that also has a CB radio?

Are you (reasonably) close to a highway/Interstate?

Do you know any amateur (ham) radio operators?

Try the simple things first - by a verification that the radio is really transmitting, but has no audio.

From there, you'll only have a couple of things to try before sending the CB off for repair.

Good luck!

·
Vendor
218 Posts
You will need to verify that you are actually breaking squelch on another CB radio. See if you are transmitting and just have no modulation. More than likely, you are pointing to an antenna problem that you currently have, or a previous antenna problem that took out the final in your CB, therefore you do not have any significant RF signal making it out of the antenna. I'd reccomend giving us a call when you have a few minutes and speaking to one of the technicians, after you can get near another CB and see if you are actually breaking squelch on that CB. Your PTT switch should be fine, since you are actually indicating TX on the bike display.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will need to verify that you are actually breaking squelch on another CB radio. See if you are transmitting and just have no modulation. More than likely, you are pointing to an antenna problem that you currently have, or a previous antenna problem that took out the final in your CB, therefore you do not have any significant RF signal making it out of the antenna. I'd reccomend giving us a call when you have a few minutes and speaking to one of the technicians, after you can get near another CB and see if you are actually breaking squelch on that CB. Your PTT switch should be fine, since you are actually indicating TX on the bike display.

My buddy got nothing from me at any squelch level at any distance. I get TX display but my mic is dead. I receive fine. As mentioned earlier IC functions fine.
I'll be in touch.

Headset and upper/lower were installed & tested by Kevin in Feb.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have a riding buddy that also has a CB radio? Yep. Ran a squelch/transmit test last fall.

Are you (reasonably) close to a highway/Interstate? Yep

Do you know any amateur (ham) radio operators? Nope

Try the simple things first - by a verification that the radio is really transmitting, but has no audio.

From there, you'll only have a couple of things to try before sending the CB off for repair.

Good luck!

See my response to Sierra above. I need some dealer work done this month. Maybe I can get a meter on it there.
Regards.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Two likely issues, (1) bad antenna (2) bad radio, as diagnosed earlier.

A Honda dealer? May not have a clue on how to use a SWR meter, which is what you really need.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two likely issues, (1) bad antenna (2) bad radio, as diagnosed earlier.

A Honda dealer? May not have a clue on how to use a SWR meter, which is what you really need.

I Know I Know. You should see the time I'm having trying to find a place within 100 miles that has one and can use it. CB is over. Used to be a shop every couple of towns...back when I had no use for them.
I'm in NYC/Nassau County.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I Know I Know. You should see the time I'm having trying to find a place within 100 miles that has one and can use it. CB is over. Used to be a shop every couple of towns...back when I had no use for them.
I'm in NYC/Nassau County.
My wife's family is from the North Shore...I know the area, not real well.

Yeah, you might be out of luck there on the island.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Unfortunately, the meter is going to simply confirm that one -or- the other is bad...which is where my earlier suggestion of knowing an amateur (ham) radio operator came from.

They would probably have a "dummy load" antenna along with the SWR meter, which would isolate the problem to a single item (antenna -or- radio) easily.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If the antenna was bad I would expect the OP to be not able to receive. Or at least not from any kind of distance. Sounds like either a connection from the radio unit to the CB isnt sending the voice or telling the CB to transmit or the CB is bad. I'm not sure whether the radio lights up the Tx light based on the PTT being pressed or whether it's driven by a signal from the CB.

I would start by double checking all of the CB connections under the seat and the radio connections under the shelter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts