GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others on the board here, I just made the transition from a VTX1800.

Just did my first 300 miles today on my new (to me) ’05 Black Cherry ABS. I was a little worried about how I would like the riding position after being only on cruisers, but I love it. I did find myself hunting for the heal shifter when upshifting several times. :) I know it’s available, but I think I’ll ride a while without it to see if I can get used to it.

I can’t believe how easy it was to go 300 miles. I’m ready for more.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. There are many riders just north of you. They are very good people and love to ride. Enjoy!

·
Registered
72 Posts
From another former VTX owner, Congrats!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I came from a Hayabusa and I love my GL - almost 2k miles from August. Same tire to-Busa needed one every 1500 miles so that was about all I put on her a year.

Welcome to the board!!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
WElcome to the fold! :D

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
backwoods said:
Like many others on the board here, I just made the transition from a VTX1800.

Just did my first 300 miles today on my new (to me) ’05 Black Cherry ABS. I was a little worried about how I would like the riding position after being only on cruisers, but I love it. I did find myself hunting for the heal shifter when upshifting several times. :) I know it’s available, but I think I’ll ride a while without it to see if I can get used to it.

I can’t believe how easy it was to go 300 miles. I’m ready for more.
Backwoods, Congrats on the new bike. I'm glad it's a good fit for you, because it really isn't for most taller riders. BTW after a while that stubby little shifter peg will have the top of your left foot getting sore. Better start shopping for h/t shifter again. GW's are great rides for rack'in up the miles and smiles. Enjoy it, Terry

·
Registered
902 Posts
I kept my VTX because I like the cruiser ride as a change of pace and I have it set up for a comfortable ride, but you are right, 300 miles on the Wing is easy. Enjoy the miles.

·
Registered
525 Posts
tvbveb said:
BTW after a while that stubby little shifter peg will have the top of your left foot getting sore.
My toe has never gotten sore since I began wearing these.

Icon Standard. Comfortable to walk in too. Especially on rocks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gpick,

I have those exact boots and agree they are very comfortable. Also no toe soreness on the ride today, but most was on the highway, so not very much shifting.

I do need to do something about highway head buffeting, so I’ve been following the recent windshield threads closely. It’s disappointing the stock shield can’t be adjusted more.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I shift a lot on some rides. Never feel it with these boots.

As to the buffeting: You said "highway." Was there a lot of traffic? The reason I mention it is that I always get buffeted a good deal on freeways, especially if I ride in the carpool lane. Recently I went on a 1800 mile ride through southern Utah where I was on many roads where I would encounter 3 or 4 cars a day. Very little buffeting and it didn't seem to make much difference how high the windshield was. As soon as I got back on an interstate, the buffeting began again. There is a tremendous amount of wake turbulence thrown up by 18 wheelers and travel trailers.

Possibly a tall windshield like the Tulsa tall, or perhaps one of their new OEM style adjustable ones which are a little wider and come in higher versions than OEM might help. As for me, on my fun rides I am paying more attention toward getting away from high traffic expressways. I don't like anything about riding those, especially given the fact that as I began to fight heavy traffic coming back from this trip I encountered four bikes down on the freeway at once with one fatality and two seriously injured. The aggressiveness and carelessness of Southern Cal drivers is reaching a new level, to the point that it just isn't worth it. At best, a rough, distracting, dirty ride. At worst? Well, pick one of the four.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was there a lot of traffic?
Yep, all highway and lots of truck traffic running 80+mph, also lots of gusty cross-winds. I'm sure that was part of the problem.

There weren't too many 'Wings out yesterday but I did see a CBC riding north on 575 late in the afternoon on our way back from Deal's Gap --- was that you?
Don't think so. I was coming down I-85 from Charlotte, NC.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Lots of shifting

:?: Lots of shifting :?: Why? Unless I am hod-rodding, my wing pulls cleanly from 25 mph and on up in top gear. The only time I do much shifting is when there are a bunch of intersections with stop and go conditions... :cry: My preference is away from urban areas--ahhhh the open road! :lol:

Keep in mind--the older I get, the faster I was! :roll:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congratulations

Congratulations on the new bike and welcome.

After I switched from my Valkyrie standard with Hondaline windshield to the Wing I experienced a lot of buffeting. Baker mirror wings solved the buffeting for me, with windsheild at nose level no buffeting ever now, just a nice gentle breeze. (actually I think they are called Baker hand wings)

Jerry W.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yep, all highway and lots of truck traffic running 80+mph, also lots of gusty cross-winds. I'm sure that was part of the problem.
Then, you had the conditions for buffeting at it's worst. The wing pushes a lot of air at 80 mph per hour. Get yourself some empty roads on a calm day and test it there. Then, you will at least know what comes from the bike. The Baker wings are very helpful, but cannot protect you from wake turbulence. I find them most useful in the summer to direct the air flow ON me for cooling. They make a big difference there.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
backwoods said:
I was a little worried about how I would like the riding position after being only on cruisers, but I love it.
Put on cruiser pegs and you can get into that "cruiser" position on longer rides.

Mike

·
Registered
238 Posts
Congratulations Backwoods, I came from cruiser to Goldwing (Road Star - Royal Star - Goldwing) and couldn't be happier. It didn't take long to get used to shifting with just the toe. Also, as was already mentioned, less shifting is necessary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts