GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetically: Someone you know, have ridden with and know that person to be one that maintains his 1800 in top notch mechanical condition puts a CT on his 1800, would you accept, if offered a chance to ride it?

If he didn't offer, would you ask to ride it?

Just curious....

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since some are so anti-CT, I was just wondering if they or the ones on the fence would at least ride on a CT, if given the chance.

A little different than putting one on their own bike.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
ct

I sure would like to ride one to see what I think..

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes & Yes !!! Can I come to dinner with you and Dan ??

Charlie

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
I'm putting a table out on the patio for you to eat...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I might give it a spin.....but somehow at this point I cannot warm up to the feeling I have that it would scare me in the curves. Maybe I could get over it.......but I don't see a need to.......my MT does what I need it to.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Yes to bothbecause I would like to experience it for myself. I'm still not sure I would run one in the twisties, but maybe interstate. I still have an issue with the ones that say it is safer, I think that remains to be seen. The million miles they claim on the CT does not compare to the billions of miles run on MT, that is another comparing apples to acorns. 90% of my riding is 2 up and my wife is alot more important to me that saving a few bucks or even doubling my mileage. I will just have to try to stay away from the sand, gravel, snow and ice.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
trialsman said:
Since some are so anti-CT, I was just wondering if they or the ones on the fence would at least ride on a CT, if given the chance.

A little different than putting one on their own bike.
I'm against it, and no, I wouldn't want to ride it or try it.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
i would like to take one for a ride but have no intentions of putting one on my bike any time soon

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a spare wheel that I am going to install a car tire. I'm only disappointed that I can't get the diameter tire that i would like to install. I think the 195/65 16 would be the best choice because it is the same diameter as the Valk back tire I have always used on my bike. But that size tire is almost not available. After the last flat back tire at 70 mph this past summer I installed tire monitors to try to get some advance warning that I am having a problem before the back end gets that squirrelley. So I guess I will try the 195/55 16.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
No and no. There is no way that I'm gonna ride someone else's bike the same way I ride mine so a ride on theirs wouldn't prove anything to me. I would be happy to follow along and watch though, just to see.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
steve s said:
[quote="Arn Butt Bill":3gsh8ql3]I'm putting a table out on the patio for you to eat...
I might give it a spin.....but somehow at this point I cannot warm up to the feeling I have that it would scare me in the curves. Maybe I could get over it.......but I don't see a need to.......my MT does what I need it to.[/quote:3gsh8ql3]I've crashed before and it sucks. Sucks real bad.

Of my 4 lifetime crashes in over 500,000 miles, 2 would've been fairly easy to prevent.
I was riding too fast on tires that weren't broken in yet; when that tire slides out from under you, there's nothing you can do. Bad feeling.
I was low in a long sweeper and a fork seal blew out, slinging fluid under the rear wheel. Splat. Should've maintained my forks better.

My theory is to make the bike ride better by making it handle better. For years I've heard riders complain that the bike rides weird after they've gone too many interstate miles and the rear tire has squared-off; many riders would elect to swap out that squared-off tire to improve handling.
Now there's a growing trend to install a purpose-built presquared-off automobile tire on motorcycles.
It's stupid. Whatever benefit you're talking yourself into believing you'll achieve, it's stupid.
Think about your family; think about your friends. It's alot to impose on your riding buddies to haul your bloody carcass from the ditch after you wipe out on your experiment. That's a big load to lay on somebody's shoulders; I've seen three people die on the roadside, two in my arms, and it's the kind of thing that leaves an impression.
For the same reasons that I elect not to ride with riders who are lidless, in shorts, drink&ride, or do stunts, I also elect not to ride with the ct crowd.

I wonder how this whole ct nonsense will affect Wingstock. You'd never see this kind of jack-assery on an FJR board.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Dang Bill. Kinda harsh words for one our Mafia crew? I think alot of people are forgetting the reason why people are going with a CT. Its the longevity of the Ct that impresses them. You can buy 2 or 3 bike tires in the same time you have that CT on. Paul, correct me if I wrong on that please. I dont think the people that are using a CT use it because it is better overall than a bike tire, ie handling etc. Again, I might be wrong. But lets not lose sight of the real reason people are doing this.
Paul, I will pick you up in a ditch anytime. I will do whatever it takes to get you to safety, even it includes putting my own life in harms way. Its just what friends do for friends. However, you will get a good spanking when you recover. LOL

·
Registered
19,232 Posts
Yes and Yes.

Just to try. I may get the chance this weekend. No I would not put one on my bikes rear. But I do want to ride one.

I would love to see a YW ride report

1 - 20 of 31 Posts