GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When searching for a RF CT some of the searches come up with Performance winter/snow and others All Season. Question is which is the best way to go. I'm thinking the Winter/snow tire has better treads but would be a little louder? is that correct??

I'm this close to ordering a tire but just confused on the direction to go, Brand and type of RF Ct??

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Swing over to the Darkside Forum. We can answer all your questions over there (this post will likely get moved over there anyways).

Snow or winter tires are no more louder than all-season or performance tires on the wing. No difference in MPG either. And contrary to what many think, the winter tires aren't really softer than performance tires. They do tend to be more flexible but that doesn't necessarily equate to softness.

Snow/winter tires will typically have a speed rating of "H" while most of the performance tires will have a "V" rating. The V rating (all other things equal) provides better traction in the dry than an H. The more blocky lugs in a winter tire prevent a V rating but you get better wet/snow performance out of the Snow tire for it.

For a RF your two best options are the Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R16 (winter tire) or the Yokohama AVID ENVigor ZPS (performance tire) in the same size. The Alpin will be closest to the feel (left/right transitions) of an MT. The shoulders are a bit more rounded on the Alpin. The Alpin's sidewalls are also a bit softer than the Yoko (the Alpin has soft sidewalls be comparison to most other RFs). Some really aggressive riders dislike the additional movement of the softer Alpin sidwalls hence the preference for the Yoko. The softness of the Alpin's sidewalls can be mitigated by running higher air pressure but of course this will result in the center wearing quicker.

If you ride real aggressive (read that as trying to leave tire marks exiting corners) then the Yoko is the direction you should consider. Otherwise, I would go with the Alpin for your first RF CT. Nice soft ride with excellent wear and performance as good or better than the OEM MT tires.

You can't go wrong with either of those tires. The Alpin's have been the best wearing of the 3 CTs I've run (the other 2 were performance tires). The others saw about 12-15k miles were the Alpin currently has 28k and I still have 4/32 left. The Alpin will probably be a 35k mile tire for me.

When searching for a RF CT some of the searches come up with Performance winter/snow and others All Season. Question is which is the best way to go. I'm thinking the Winter/snow tire has better treads but would be a little louder? is that correct??

I'm this close to ordering a tire but just confused on the direction to go, Brand and type of RF Ct??

·
Registered
783 Posts
Below is a list of speed ratings along with the corresponding speeds they represent. Remember, the speeds are test speeds, not recommended speeds.

• B - Up to 31 mph
  • C - Up to 37 mph
  • D - Up to 40 mph
  • E - Up to 43 mph
  • F - Up to 50 mph
  • G - Up to 56 mph
  • J - Up to 62 mph
  • K - Up to 68 mph
  • L - Up to 75 mph
  • M - Up to 81 mph
  • N - Up to 87 mph
  • P - Up to 94 mph
  • Q - Up to 100 mph
  • R - Up to 106 mph
  • S - Up to 112 mph
  • T - Up to 118 mph
  • U - Up to 124 mph
  • H - Up to 130 mph
  • V - Up to 149 mph
  • W - Up to 168 mph
  • Y - Up to 186 mph
  • Z - 149 mph and over

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
And the speed rating is a bit of a misnomer. It is more than just how fast the tire is rated for. It is really a performance index. The higher the rating the better performance (acceleration, stopping, cornering) you can expect from the tire. OEM Wing tires are "H" rated. :cool:

Below is a list of speed ratings along with the corresponding speeds they represent. Remember, the speeds are test speeds, not recommended speeds.

• B - Up to 31 mph
  • C - Up to 37 mph
  • D - Up to 40 mph
  • E - Up to 43 mph
  • F - Up to 50 mph
  • G - Up to 56 mph
  • J - Up to 62 mph
  • K - Up to 68 mph
  • L - Up to 75 mph
  • M - Up to 81 mph
  • N - Up to 87 mph
  • P - Up to 94 mph
  • Q - Up to 100 mph
  • R - Up to 106 mph
  • S - Up to 112 mph
  • T - Up to 118 mph
  • U - Up to 124 mph
  • H - Up to 130 mph
  • V - Up to 149 mph
  • W - Up to 168 mph
  • Y - Up to 186 mph
  • Z - 149 mph and over

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Swing over to the Darkside Forum. We can answer all your questions over there (this post will likely get moved over there anyways)... You can't go wrong with either of those tires. The Alpin's have been the best wearing of the 3 CTs I've run (the other 2 were performance tires). The others saw about 12-15k miles were the Alpin currently has 28k and I still have 4/32 left. The Alpin will probably be a 35k mile tire for me.
This is an EXCELLENT post!

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
i'm running a wanli :eek:4: chinese tire rf thats v rated . not to many twisties here in florida but have about 6,000 and real happy with it . was running the alpin3 had 23,500 on it with some to go but put on trip to tx. at thanksgiving. it's on sale online for $80 delivered . v rated n good profile just not sure if i'll get the mileage like mich :shrug:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I think I have what I need to order my CT.. ;)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Any winter tire I have run has been smooth and quiet!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts