GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know we are all getting tired of these incessant H-D threads!! If ya' want an H-D, get one and go off to H-D nirvana, right??

;)

Well, this is a little different.

I spent last week in Oshkosh, WI at the annual EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) 'AirVenture.' It was a great trip. But, on Wednesday it rained. So, I decided to cut the Osh day short and drive down to Milwaukee and visit the Harley-Davidson Museum. Good decision!

I am not a fan of H-D's current line up. I prefer my X. But, I have to admit that I admire 'The Motor Company.' It has been around for more than 100 years and has survived many trials and tribulations.

We tend to think of H-D as a 'Big Company.' For most of their existence they have been a small company. They were only 'Big' when owned by AMF. And, they did a lot of R&D under AMF. Except for the last ~20 years since the management buyout, they have been rather aggressive in their R&D work and new product development. They had a lot of product development from their inception until WWII and then again in the 1950s and 1960s. That may not seem correct to many reading this post, but it is true. Again, they are NOT General Motors, they are a small company trying to survive in a very competitive market.

I took a picture of every bike and many of the plaques at teh museum. I have tried to post them to Photobucket, but some did not make it. I also had them in a logical order, but because of some internet issues, I had to upload them in batches. So, they are a bit jumbled.

Enjoy and if you ever get a chance to spend 2 to 6 hours at the museum, I guarantee you will enjoy it!

This is my first time to try to use Photbucket, so let me know if the link does not take you to 'JoeT1951' and the H-D Museum July 2011 album.

Here is the link:

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n621/JoeT1951/?albumview=slideshow

Regards,
Joe T.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Thanks for sharing your pics, especially since the HD museum wasn't on my list of museums to see (The Peterson was, though).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for those photos. I had a few of the bikes shown.

39EL, 50EL, and a Sprint. Brought back some nice memories.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I drove by there on my way to Kohler to play golf at Whistling Straits in July, but didn't have time to stop. It is on my list of things to do next time. Thanks for the photos.

BTW, did you happen to try Spotted Cow beer while you were there. This is some fantastic stuff. Only problem is, it is only sold in Wisconsin!:-(

·
Registered
583 Posts
It is a great museum, regardless of what you think of HD. We went a few days before the official opening and really enjoyed it.

GM

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thanks for posting all these pics. I recently visited the museum in Maggie Valley NC, lot of beautiful HDs there as well and some antique cars. I can spend hours looking at nostalgic motorcycles and cars.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Thanks for posting.

Milwaukee is on my "U.S.A. Perimeter" trip in 2014, Lord willin. I plan on visiting.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Loved the photos, thanks. Sure would like to visit the museum some day. My only objection to Harley's on this board is that some members treat it as if this were a Harley board.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I saw a bike at some museum, In North Carolina I think. It had open lifers and push rods. That was pretty interesting.

Neat to see how things were and how they have improved. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Joe T
thanks for sharing your pics, next year on my way back from Sturgis & Beartooth I plan on doing the H-D museum.:thumbup:
we did the "Wheels Thru Time" in Maggie Valley 3 wks ago, a well worth trip....:thumbup:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Let's just say I prefer the "older and more traditional" Triumph brand (1902).

But if a Harley rider is riding his bike...he is enjoying life...just like us.

Visited Sturgis already...missed the crowds and got the t-shirts.

Dennis

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Cool pics!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Another good one is The American Classic Motorcycle Museum in Ashboro NC. It is Free admission but runs on donations. Has a working H-D shop and cafe. They have a cycle example for every year of production from about 1934 thru more current examples. Some really off the wall specialty types.
[ a service car for delivering news papers and of course the Police Trikes.]
A couple of real barn finds just as they were pulled from the barn!
It is interesting for a day ride or a drop by for those out of towners.
See info on VisitNC.com

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Another good one is The American Classic Motorcycle Museum in Ashboro NC. It is Free admission but runs on donations. Has a working H-D shop and cafe. They have a cycle example for every year of production from about 1934 thru more current examples. Some really off the wall specialty types.
[ a service car for delivering news papers and of course the Police Trikes.]
A couple of real barn finds just as they were pulled from the barn!
It is interesting for a day ride or a drop by for those out of towners.
See info on VisitNC.com

Sounds lile checking out. Thanks for posting!
Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum in Leeds, Al. (near B'ham) has a lot of older bikes also.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
H-D owned Holiday Rambler, too

One thing I was surprised about at the museum was no mention of H-D owning Holiday Rambler RVs. I thought H-D owned HR, so I just checked Wiki:

Holiday Rambler Corporation was an American corporation which primarily manufactured recreational vehicles. It was founded in 1953. In 1961, Holiday Rambler’s introduction of aluminum body framing ushered in a new era of lighter, stronger and more durable recreational vehicles (RVs). This aluminum frame (Alumaframe) became the standard for lighter and stronger RVs for 40 years. Holiday Rambler was also responsible for many firsts; built-in refrigerators, holding tanks and aerodynamic radiused corners. As Holiday Rambler moved into motorhomes, they were the first with tag axles and the kitchen slide-out revolutionized "interior engineering" in the field.[2] Holiday Rambler was sold to Harley-Davidson in 1986 and later in 1996 to the Monaco Coach Corporation where its future, now under Navistar International Corp., is difficult in 2010 as it is for most motorhome manufacturers.[3][4]
Holiday Rambler is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Navistar International Corp.

Wonders never cease!

Joe T.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Been there

I visited the HD museum with a Road King riding buddy in the summer of '09 before we headed west to Sturgis for the annual gathering.
IMO it doesn't matter what brand of bike you ride...if you like motorcycles you will like this museum. I liked it so much that I stopped by the HD York, Pa. factory this past summer to watch a few of them being built.
The only down side to the tour of the York plant was at the beginning. Our guide asked each person going on the tour what they were riding and when I said "Honda Goldwing" you would have thought, by the look on his face, that I had insulted his mother. I just kept on smiling.
My riding buddy, on his HD, has begrudgingly admitted that the Goldwing is a better touring machine than his Road King and that he would own one if he weren't so short in the inseam.
Check out the museum...you will be glad you did.
Jim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts