GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.... I originally made my order for the new Garmin Map Update on July 1...

I was told 5 days later not to expect shipping until July 12.

Today I called for status... and was told my order will not ship until July 22nd.

I have a feeling this will become a lesson in patience.

Anyone else being "put off"?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
yup...my order pushed to the 22nd too and i ordered mine june 22nd! They need to get their act together! :?

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
One wonders what kind of contract Honda made with Garmin? We hear page after page of horor stories here.

I can download maps, etc. for both my Garmin aftermarket GPS units. Updates are no charge on my $190. 1490 LMT and readily available at a reasonable price for my ZUMO 550.

The only complaint I had about the Garmin/BMW unit on my K1200LT was the price. I won't pay extra for GPS from a vehicle manufacturer again.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yep same here. I was told today was the magic day and when i called to verify well what do you know. Try back on the 22nd.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I ordered versions for both the 2006 and 2010 bikes. The 2006 version came within a few days. The 2010 version came while I was at Wing Ding. So they are shipping.

There is a great deal of pent up demand, so Garmin is enjoying a windfall income at $149 per pop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lifetime map updates??

So Garmin, how about offering lifetime updates for Goldwing Navigation owners? You offer lifetime upgrades as a very reasonable price for many of your other products, why not Goldwing Navigation?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I ordered versions for both the 2006 and 2010 bikes. The 2006 version came within a few days. The 2010 version came while I was at Wing Ding. So they are shipping.

There is a great deal of pent up demand, so Garmin is enjoying a windfall income at $149 per pop.

when did you order them?

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
That's a good question and the answer is simple. Honda negotiated a deal with Garmin to supply a unit to Honda's specification and accepted responsibility for customer service. Honda also priced the unit. If Honda wants to supply lifetime updates, I feel sure Garmin would be willing to negotiate a price with Honda.

So Garmin, how about offering lifetime updates for Goldwing Navigation owners? You offer lifetime upgrades as a very reasonable price for many of your other products, why not Goldwing Navigation?

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,978 Posts
This is called .. "Hurry Up and Wait" :wrong:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Ordered mine on June 25th. Still waiting for the ship notice. :?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Just got off the phone with Garmin, July 13, 14:17....I placed my order June 27....now being told August 8 as a ship date....great customer service...when I called on Monday, they said they'd ship it Tuesday July 12...oh well...now we play the waiting game again....ride safe (with old maps)...

Scott

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
My experience is that map updates typically trail road changes by a number of years. I will take advantage of free annual updates of the maps on my Garmin 1490 just because but don't consider them to be a big deal. I updated my ZUMO 550 last year and noticed few changes from 3 years prior. GPS should be used as a tool but not relied on with full faith.

Just got off the phone with Garmin, July 13, 14:17....I placed my order June 27....now being told August 8 as a ship date....great customer service...when I called on Monday, they said they'd ship it Tuesday July 12...oh well...now we play the waiting game again....ride safe (with old maps)...

Scott

·
Registered
648 Posts
I called Monday, and was told it would definitely ship 12th. Well, no ship notice yet. They have "Goooooodddddd" customer service !!! . Can't they at least update the danged Goldwing site with progress reports?? What the he** is the matter with them ?? :wrong:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
About two weeks before all the garmin update posts began, I ordered and received a garmin update which I thought was V9. After the posts started, I felt a sinking feeling, having just ordered the V9, and thought that was what I received. Went home and checked, and they sent me the V2011 despite my order. I have no garmin complaints. :yes1:

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I don't understand why they don't just offer it as a downloadable file and eliminate any supply related delays.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I called Monday, and was told it would definitely ship 12th. Well, no ship notice yet. They have "Goooooodddddd" customer service !!! . Can't they at least update the danged Goldwing site with progress reports?? What the he** is the matter with them ?? :wrong:

i'd call them again....if you did not get a ship notice.your probably pushed out untill the 22nd too. But i have a bad feeling about that date as well.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I don't understand why they don't just offer it as a downloadable file and eliminate any supply related delays.
My guess is that the Honda contract has something to do with it. Keep in mind too that the volume of Honda branded GPS units is miniscule and Honda likely did not pay anything like as much as Garmin can gross on it's aftermarket units. If we knew the whole story, I suspect that it would be evident that your beef is with Honda.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts