GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sorry to bring this question thats been beaten more than pack mule, but here goes. I just had my oil changed in my wing and it had 400 miles on it and now it has 750. heres my question, i just got a new honda filter and a case of amsoil 10w40. I have read about all the great things it does and how much better it shifts and runs. are my rings seated in enough to change now and start receiving those benefits? it was nice to get the 400 mile oil out because contrary to what people think, their was metal slivers in the factory oil. but if honda is now saying to go till 4000 miles till i change again, before changing to syntn. whats the deal, im going on a 4 day ride up hwy one and riding 1800 miles or so, I WANT MY SYNTH NOW!
How come cars like corvettes and gto's, porsche and other high line cars come from the factory with it, are those pre- ran in? just a little help please. thanks kevbru :?: :?: :?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would wait and change after you get back instead of wasting the new 350 mile oil that you have in there.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
To answer your question: Your bike is ready for Full Synthetic now, if you like.

But why not run out your new oil change first and get some of your monies worth on that first oil change?

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Do whatever makes you feel good. It is only fricken oil. :D

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Bulldog said:
To answer your question: Your bike is ready for Full Synthetic now, if you like.

But why not run out your new oil change first and get some of your monies worth on that first oil change?

Bulldog
Yep ! That's what I'd do also.......... :beer2:

G

·
To quote you...
KEVBRU said:
I WANT MY SYNTH NOW!
You have answered your own question.

So go ahead and do it! I changed to full synthetic at 200 miles and never looked back. If you are changing it yourself it's not that expensive. So you waste a few bucks, it's your money and it's your peace of mind.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If it's peace of mind that you want then rest assured that the oil you now have in the crankcase will do no harm. Wait until 4000 miles and put in the synthetic.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Bulldog said:
Don't forget, that the MCF 10W40 and MCV 20w50 Amsoil, can now be purchased in Gallon containers.

Makes it nicer for the 1 Gal fill and disposal of the waste oil.

Bulldog
Is it cheaper by the gallon? Price-wise or delivery charge?

O.K., my two cents.
I wouldn't put the synthetic in until the rings are broken in. I guess I'm still old school on this one, But I've seen too many rebuilds that use chrome molley rings that won't stop smoking when synth was used from the begining. But that's just me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
synthetic oil for 'Vettes, etc.

High perf. cars come with synth because of advanced machineing processes. They are "broken in" by way of superior boring and honing processes. In other words, they are built "broken in".

Now bearing wise, I have no clue how that's handled. Sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.