GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my oil, and both filters today at 3,735 miles. Bit of a learning curve but got it done. Need to get myself a “cup” oil filter wrench because the old flat one wouldn’t fit up into the recess on the new engine. Ended up fighting with the filter and using channel lock pliers to get it off after realizing my old wrench wouldn’t work. The o ring on the DCT filter looked fine so I didn’t change it and it sealed fine when I put it back together. So I have one for next time. :smile2:

Checked my rear end lube and it was low! Stuck my finger in the hole and couldn’t feel any gear lube and ended up putting about 2 oz to get it up to the top. So for you guys who haven’t checked your final drive lube, you may want to because mine was yet another one not filled properly at delivery.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for the intel, Bulitt. Like you, I found servicing from the dealer to be less than awesome. I changed by oil at 4,000 miles. Four quarts of oil came out, not five. I'll definitely take a look at my final drive and other servicing tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Thanks for the intel, Bulitt. Like you, I found servicing from the dealer to be less than awesome. I changed by oil at 4,000 miles. Four quarts of oil came out, not five. I'll definitely take a look at my final drive and other servicing tomorrow.

Don't worry about just 4 qts coming out. A lot of the oil remains on things inside the engine AND the oil filter too. You'll never get 5 qts out from an oil change.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I got this from Partzilla (not Revzilla) and it came with the wrench you need;

15010-MCE-H51 FILTER SET, OIL

·
Registered
136 Posts
Be careful when talking about oil quantities - the DCT takes 4.9 quarts (oil and filter change), while the manual takes 3.9. Also, one thing that happened to me when I changed my oil that I haven't seen mentioned - I initially put about 4.5 quarts in (DCT) figuring I would top it off referencing the dip stick after I started and warmed it up. Upon the initial startup, the DCT gear indicator when to all dashes and would not go into drive. I let it run for about a minute with no change, so I figured I must have put the DCT filter in backwards. I checked the oil and the level was about halfway between the add and full marks. I dropped the DCT filter - there was no oil in the filter chamber and the filter was installed correctly. Anyway, I put the remaining 1/2 quart in, restarted and the tranny immediately acted normally (no dashes, went into drive). I can't imagine that extra 1/2 quart would have made any difference (but could be wrong). Dipstick now showed all the way up to the filled mark.

When changing the oil in any vehicle, I always simply start the engine at idle and let the engine idle until the oil pressure light goes out, plus another minute or so to let the oil circulate before bringing the engine off idle. Only thing I can think of is it takes a little bit of time after an oil change for the tranny area to get filled with oil and the tranny oil sensor to register.

·
Registered
8,751 Posts
Be careful when talking about oil quantities - the DCT takes 4.9 quarts (oil and filter change), while the manual takes 3.9. Also, one thing that happened to me when I changed my oil that I haven't seen mentioned - I initially put about 4.5 quarts in (DCT) figuring I would top it off referencing the dip stick after I started and warmed it up. Upon the initial startup, the DCT gear indicator when to all dashes and would not go into drive. I let it run for about a minute with no change, so I figured I must have put the DCT filter in backwards. I checked the oil and the level was about halfway between the add and full marks. I dropped the DCT filter - there was no oil in the filter chamber and the filter was installed correctly. Anyway, I put the remaining 1/2 quart in, restarted and the tranny immediately acted normally (no dashes, went into drive). I can't imagine that extra 1/2 quart would have made any difference (but could be wrong). Dipstick now showed all the way up to the filled mark.

When changing the oil in any vehicle, I always simply start the engine at idle and let the engine idle until the oil pressure light goes out, plus another minute or so to let the oil circulate before bringing the engine off idle. Only thing I can think of is it takes a little bit of time after an oil change for the tranny area to get filled with oil and the tranny oil sensor to register.
Thats a new one?? Havent heard of that problem.

·
Registered
8,751 Posts
Don't worry about just 4 qts coming out. A lot of the oil remains on things inside the engine AND the oil filter too. You'll never get 5 qts out from an oil change.
I disagree, a DCT will have appox. 5 qts coming back out. If you didn't,it was likely delivered low from the dealer. :frown2:

·
Registered
8,751 Posts
Not surprised.:frown2:
My DCT was a quart overfull. I started a paper trail at the dealer,just in case.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Changed my oil, and both filters today at 3,735 miles. Bit of a learning curve but got it done. Need to get myself a “cup” oil filter wrench because the old flat one wouldn’t fit up into the recess on the new engine. Ended up fighting with the filter and using channel lock pliers to get it off after realizing my old wrench wouldn’t work. The o ring on the DCT filter looked fine so I didn’t change it and it sealed fine when I put it back together. So I have one for next time. :smile2:

Checked my rear end lube and it was low! Stuck my finger in the hole and couldn’t feel any gear lube and ended up putting about 2 oz to get it up to the top. So for you guys who haven’t checked your final drive lube, you may want to because mine was yet another one not filled properly at delivery.
So you stuck your finger in your rear end and it was dry?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Before I went TRIKE, I used to replace my drive shaft gear fluid once at end of season------ Used 80-90 wt.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I got this from Partzilla (not Revzilla) and it came with the wrench you need;

15010-MCE-H51 FILTER SET, OIL
These Partzilla guys don't seem to have a listing for 2018+ DCT...or I can't find it.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
These Partzilla guys don't seem to have a listing for 2018+ DCT...or I can't find it.

Yea, I didn't log into them to get a look up under 2018 GL, I knew the part number from Fred Harmon and Parzilla had it, probably others too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts