GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 08 trike, the fork pinch bolts are Allen bolts. The bottom two are 8 mm. The one on top is the same? I cannot get a wrench in there to confirm. Also, once loosened and the fork removed, could I replace the Allen with the same size bolt with a head on it. Would be much easier to loosen next time.
Gerald

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yes as long as you use the "correct threads per inch", "thread pitch and strength bolt. Take one of your original bolts to your local hardware store for verification and match.

·
Vendor
19,607 Posts
On my 08 trike, the fork pinch bolts are Allen bolts. The bottom two are 8 mm. The one on top is the same? I cannot get a wrench in there to confirm. Also, once loosened and the fork removed, could I replace the Allen with the same size bolt with a head on it. Would be much easier to loosen next time.
Gerald
Sometimes allen bolts are used becasue the contact surface under their head is narrower then a Honda bolt.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Sometimes allen bolts are used becasue the contact surface under their head is narrower then a Honda bolt.
I agree with Greg. The contact area is small. A standard hex head bolt probably wouldn't seat correctly. You could always get the proper allen head socket and cut down the end to about 3/8 inch long. It will give you more room for the wrench.
Or cut an 8mm allen down and use a ratcheting 8mm box end wrench.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Allen head bolts are usually used to fit in the socket where a headed bolt can not. Easy to see on the handlebar controls. On them, if you added accessories like mounts for phone etc., they probably have spacers to protrude out. In that case a headed bolt will work just fine. Remember, Allen head bolts are called Allen Socket bolts or just Socket bolts.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Gerald
It sounds to me like you just need a different tool to loosen/remove those socket head bolts. I've never had a problem with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts