GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is a 2008 GW with a MPA tire in reverse rotation on the front. It has alway made the singing noise but now as it wears more I am getting a buzzing type rattle somewhere up front that I can't seem to locate so I am assuming its the tire. The sound dissappears above 40mph but drives me nuts under 40mph. I have considered going to the Bridgestone Battleax45 but understand it is a bias belted tire. Called my dealer to ask what the two Dunlops on the back of the trike were and he says radial and that I should "buy a rear tire and put it on the front in reverse" (I am assuming he means a radial, BUT he has no Bridgestones and tried to sell me another MPA. Now I am totally confused because I know I am not supposed to mix radials and bias belteds, but I do want to try the Batteaxe. So you guys wiser than me tell me the solution. He estimates the cost of purchase and installation at around $200. I am not ready for another Michelin Pro Active.

P.S. George I have developed a lot of confidence in what you tell people and wanted you to know this. Thanks.

Logan

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the rule is don't mix radial and bias ON THE SAME AXLE. I run a bias front on both my mc and trike and radial rears.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think the rule is don't mix radial and bias ON THE SAME AXLE. I run a bias front on both my mc and trike and radial rears.
FrostBite is correct, Logan. That was, and still is, the rule. The MPA that you're now running is a bias-ply tire. I don't know what tires you have on your rear but most trike manufacturers supply radials with their conversions kits.

Your confusion might be due to the fact that Michelin does produce a M/C "Pilot" series that are radial in design.

Are we going to see you in September?

Ride safe,

Wayne

G

·
My bike is a 2008 GW with a MPA tire in reverse rotation on the front. It has alway made the singing noise but now as it wears more I am getting a buzzing type rattle somewhere up front that I can't seem to locate so I am assuming its the tire. The sound dissappears above 40mph but drives me nuts under 40mph. I have considered going to the Bridgestone Battleax45 but understand it is a bias belted tire. Called my dealer to ask what the two Dunlops on the back of the trike were and he says radial and that I should "buy a rear tire and put it on the front in reverse" (I am assuming he means a radial, BUT he has no Bridgestones and tried to sell me another MPA. Now I am totally confused because I know I am not supposed to mix radials and bias belteds, but I do want to try the Batteaxe. So you guys wiser than me tell me the solution. He estimates the cost of purchase and installation at around $200. I am not ready for another Michelin Pro Active.

P.S. George I have developed a lot of confidence in what you tell people and wanted you to know this. Thanks.

Logan
Jenks,Keep it up over 4o mph and wear it out, ear plugs come to mind. I leave my hearing aids home for that reason. Have 25,000 miles on my MPA in reverse. I hate the harsh ride from it but love the mileage, with very little cupping. Bridgestone may be my next choice when this one wears out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am on my 3 mpa I got 25000 on the first one. had20000 on the second one. i got nervous because it was 6 years old. the third tire has about 5000 miles on it I am hard hearing so I don't have any problem.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Logan,
The buzz is common with the MPA between 25 to 35 +-, and that tire is a Bias Tire, as is the Battle Axe BT-45, but the BT-45 doesn't have the same tread pattern and doesn't buzz. Go ahead and order a BT-45 from one of the big tire places, like Ron Ayers or Motorcycle Superstore. I think they are still in the 93 to 97 $ range delivered,,,,, :shrug: The BT-45 gives a good return in mileage also. I had 29,7xx on my MPA when I changed it, and tread left. I am trying a BT-45, and so far like it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I ran a MPA for 50,000 miles ran 38lbs air in it i tried 35lbs and it sang like Wille Nelson so I calle Michelin talked to an enginneer in France he said run 38lbs and it will quit it did

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reply to Caem and others

Thanks for the input. I have been running 41 lbs. in the MPA so maybe I need to reduce the air to the same as yours. I think I had my ride converted to a trike at around 8500 miles and the MPA installed in reverse then. I now have 23,000 plus and the tread looks okay to me, so essentially I have a little over 15,000 on it. The OEM of course was a Dunflop...er..Dunlop and did not last long. I hear some of you talk about the "run flats" but I am not at all familiar with them.

You guys are a real brotherhood and I, for one, appreciate all the help and advice you give to others as well as myself. I know if I have a problem that more than likely someone on here will have the answer.

Thanks

Logan "Rawhide" Jenkins
Lebanon , Tenn.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recently put on a new MPA reversed direction on my 08 CSC trike front. I was wondering if I'd get any 'noise' as they call it. I'll say this...if you can hear anything with a helmet on and the wind and gear noise going too, you must have fantastic hearing. I can't detect one bit of difference from the old Dunlap to the new reversed MPA. I run it at 41 psi and it rides darn nice. So this MPA noise is something I hear about but don't hear at all. Maybe my hearing is shot and I don't know it. But I can't hear any difference at all.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I just removed a pilot activ with many miles left and replaced with the bt45 because of the cupping and singing. I have had 2mpa and 2bt45. Both pilots had a bad buzz from the beginning and only got worse with miles. Both the bridgestones have been quite and smooth. You do get good mileage with the pilot activ if you are lucky enough to not have the buzz or can stand having one.

·
Registered
889 Posts
George, are you running the BT-45 in reverse rotation?
I'm running the BT-45 on the front in reverse rotation. However, this is my first rear tire on the front experience and I only have about 5000 miles on the tire. My experience so far has been excellent ... smooth ride, great handling, no noise.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Huh? Say what?

Been listening to the brags about the BT45 and how good it is and yet today I opened an ad from Motorcycle Super Store talking about a BT45 Sport Touring tire (may not be the same?) and buyers comments were posted and wow! They all spoke of low mileage in the 5000 mile range. I couldn't believe it after all the great stuff I had heard prior. Maybe the Sport Touring model BT45 is a different one?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Logan
That is the same tire I suspect, but they are the Sport Touring guys, which means that they are doing wheelies, and stuff like that. Hot Roding in other words, and using the tire as built; as in on the back where it gets a ton of abuse from burn outs and the like.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I took a BT45 off my 1500 trike that had over 20,000 miles on it. It had at least 5-7 thousand more miles left but I was going on a trip alone and decided to change it. I don't think you will have a concern with mileage.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Both the Bridgestone BT 45 Battlax and the Michelin MPA are bias ply tires made for the rear of a motorcycle. They can be purchased in the exact same size as the front tire on your GL 1800, which is 130/70H-18. I bought mine here:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ne-Battlax-BT-45-Sport-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx

There are other good sources for these tires ... this one is representative and gave me good service. I have my tire mounted in reverse rotation as seems to be indicated as correct when this tire is mounted on the front. My experience has been good so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts