·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 gauges.

This Accu-Gauge reads 34

This Accu-gauge reads 44

And this Accu Gauge reads 40

I had a Campbell Hausfeld pencil type, and it was around 46.

I've been playing around with these for over 6 months.
I use the one in the last picture, coz it was more $$$ :shock:
These were all bought this year. Any ideas ? Digital maybe?

:twisted:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
You have an issue. I have to suspect the first gage is bad. 10 PSI is just too much difference to ignor. Nevertheless, you don't have enough data to draw a statistical conclusion. The three other gages may be showing normal variation based on a 43lb mean.

6 PSI is enough of a difference to be concerned.

I have two gages; a pencil type attached to the compressor (Harbor Freight el cheepo) and an Accu-Gage digital (about $13 from Amazon). They read about 2 PSI different from each other with the digital being the most repeatable.

Digital gages are not more accurate, but they have no moving parts and are infinately more repeatable. Give me repeatable over accurate any day. That way you will at least know your readings are consistant and you will always be able to set your tires to the same pressure. The variation in the mechanical gages makes them less repeatable so, you never are really sure what your reading is.

I know this was vague, but I hope it helps a little.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I use gauge #3. It matches the reading from my Smartire.

If you check a dozen tire gauges against one another, you will most likely get as many different readings. I have found the dial type to be more consistant than the traditional pocket gauges.
No opinion on digital. I havn't used any of them.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I have used both and I prefer digital. Much more accurate.

JMHO

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
Sorry to hijack-but I cant seem to find the accuguage website
My accu gauge crapped out after a month
and I heard they are guaranteed for life

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Go digital, I did, logically speaking: no mechanical parts equals less chance for inaccuracy. T. 8)

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Rastoff has it nailed. Replication is more important than nominal accuracy, but you gatta have accuracy within reason. Fuse has a very valid point; and in most cased the answer is we really do not know since calibration devices are not common. BUT, the piezio electric chips in the digital tyupes are very consistent and inexpensive to produce, thus the manufacturer only has to get a lrge consistent batch of chips (crystals) and spend his money far less often on calibration runs per given lot - plus they are stable over time. I use inexpensive digitals.

prs

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Guage number 1 was the one I threw in the garbage. It was 10 pounds OVER.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Go digital. I picked up a nice Campbell Hausfeld for about $20

·
Registered
256 Posts
Go digital. I picked up a nice Campbell Hausfeld for about $20. The mechanicals bounce around to much on the readings. The digitals are accurate to pounds plus 10ths.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Bloodstone05 said:
The digitals are accurate to pounds plus 10ths.
Again, I have to ask. How do you know? I know that they read to the pound plus 10ths but how can we know if they are really accurate.

I myself like the one pictured number 3. Not so much because of it's accuracy, I can't tell you how accurate it is. But I like the button on it so I can inflate the tire then push the button to bring the pressure down to exactly what I want. I always use the same one so I have my pressure at a consistant level.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have guage #3. I use it on my wing like you because it costs most.
I checked it to a pencil guage I've had for years, and it was very close. I also have one similar to #1 that was also very close.

Maybe I got lucky???

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Just curious as to what race car mechanics use. In Nascar they worry over 1/4 pound increments or even finer for all I know.

When the outcome means lots of money they use the best.

disclaimer- not a Nascar fan just know they deal with this stuff constantly.

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
FUSE said:
Bloodstone05 said:
The digitals are accurate to pounds plus 10ths.
Again, I have to ask. How do you know? I know that they read to the pound plus 10ths but how can we know if they are really accurate.

I myself like the one pictured number 3. Not so much because of it's accuracy, I can't tell you how accurate it is. But I like the button on it so I can inflate the tire then push the button to bring the pressure down to exactly what I want. I always use the same one so I have my pressure at a consistant level.
ditto there is no proof that digital is more accurate than analog

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Great White Wing said:
Just curious as to what race car mechanics use. In Nascar they worry over 1/4 pound increments or even finer for all I know.

When the outcome means lots of money they use the best.

disclaimer- not a Nascar fan just know they deal with this stuff constantly.
I'm not sure of what they use but I can guarentee that they have them calibrated all the time. That is really the only way to make sure that they are accurate. I myself just don't know how to get mine calibrated, and even if I did I'm honestly to lazy to do so. :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a digital and the #3. The digital and the Accu-gauge read exactly the same. I carry the Accu-gauge with me because of its ease of use and its ability to fill and expel air from the gauge side.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I bought my digital gauge at Wally World for about $10.00. From time to time I compare it with my pencil type (like # 2) and they read about the same.

I have been looking for something like # 3 but have not found one yet. Anyone know where I can purchase one like # 3?

BTW, do you put air in your tires with the bike on the center stand, or on the side stand, or maybe when on a jack? :?

Todd

1 - 20 of 26 Posts