GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the Windbender on the bike yesterday. I rode around with it at different heights until I got it zoned in. The top of the shield is within a half inch of where the top of the stock shield was. The airstream over my helmet has gone up at least four inches.

The peace and quiet is awesome!

I highly recommend this windshield.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put the Windbender on the bike yesterday. I rode around with it at different heights until I got it zoned in. The top of the shield is within a half inch of where the top of the stock shield was. The airstream over my helmet has gone up at least four inches.

The peace and quiet is awesome!

I highly recommend this windshield.
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Best move I made

·
Registered
931 Posts
Happy users -- a question. I still have both the HP and SP Windbender but anything over 70mph is so noisy I couldn't tolerate it for very long even with Howard Leight MAX ear plugs and a full face Arai helmet. Up to 70, it was gold. I've been using the Tulsa for years which is quiet but make no bones that I do NOT like looking through a windshield or having to clean it every day.

I had the top of the HP and SP adjusted just below eye level and even tried it higher. No good at higher speeds. Now I'm wondering, if I went the wrong direction -- do you have the shield adjusted lower?

Also, when you say the Windbender is quiet, are your running over 70mph?

I know a lot of folks love the Windbender and I want to, also ... at highway speeds. Any user suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've not been on the Interstate with it yet. I'll try to test that this evening.

I have the base piece all the way to the bottom and the upper piece in the third slot from the top.

I'm looking a few inches over the top of the shield.

·
Registered
494 Posts
w-bender,,just right !!

I don't like it at top of adj,either.
I found the sweet spot,with advise from TIM.B.
The bottom pc,at second from bottom,
the top pc. at third from bottom.

Real quiet at 70
pretty fair at 84 mph

The side to side on the helmet is GONE.
Lov-it
KennyU
SeattleWA

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ken --

How'd things go on the X-way? Did you find that by lowering the shield it was suitably quiet like KennyU found?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still haven't made it to the Interstate. I've been working long hours this week. It looks like Saturday before I can test it on I75.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the bike out on I75 for a while today. The new windshield has reduced the buffeting greatly up to 75 mph. I think I've found the sweet spot for height. I will continue to play around with the height over the next few weeks to pin it down.

I think part of my noise problem is my carbon fiber helmet. I'm going to try some other helmets over the next few weeks.

I have noticed that if I pull either hand directly back from the handgrip at the same level, I can feel pulsing coming up from the lower part of the fairing. It seems to dissipate as it moves upward. I think this may be a big contributor to the problem folks are having at higher speeds. I doubt any windshield will fix this, since it comes from the lower part of the fairing.

·
Registered
728 Posts
seven years later and still happy with mine ! :agree:
:agree: I've had one on a GL18 which included the electric option and absolutely loved it!!! Right now, I'm still feeding my "piggy bank" and when that sucker hits the "sweet spot" on the scale,:yes: it'll be bustin' time and a new Windbender will be on it's way to me :excited:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is the HP. I'm 5 10 and the site seemed to indicate that was the cutover point for the two sizes of shield. I figured I'd get the taller one and if it was too tall I'd get the shorter upper part later. I'm taller in the body and shorter in the legs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts