GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed their Kury ISO grips to install the Electrical Connections heated grip kit and then reused the Kury's? Or do Ihave to buy new grips also?

Also, I have some Honda grip glue, do you know if it will set up in a garage at say 50 degrees or do I have to wait to spring to do the install? When I installed my Kury'y the glue took about 12 hours to cure as I recall.

Thanks

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
You can usually re-use the Kury's. If the rubber does get mangled too bad to re-use, Kury will sell just the rubber inserts, but you have to call them as they don't put them on the web with a part number. This is according to an e-mail exchange with them about 3 years ago.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you have a air compressor try blowing some compressed air under the rubber portion of the grip. Take the end caps off first and then blast it a couple times with a needle style nozzle. i have done this several times without damaging the grips........

Giz

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the qucik reply.

I sent an email to Kury to make sure I can buy replacements in case I mess mine up.

AS for the air compressor, I have one of the $60/$70 electric from Sears and doubt it has enough power but I will give it a try.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
When you re-install your grips, whether new or used, "glue" them on with hair spray and you won't have so many problems in the future. It works great. Go to the "Dollar" store and get the cheap super sticky maximum hold. Spray it on both the handle bars and the EC grip heaters and the inside of the grips. They will be easy to slide one. After they have set up, they will hold very well. Mine have for over a year with absolutely no problems in spite of many rides in the rain. One nice thing is if you don't get the grips on exactly correct or completely they are easy to remove and start over. The compressed air will work to take them off or just a blunt tool worked carefully in from the end and then spray in a little water and you can get them off easily. Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
CJS said:
When you re-install your grips, whether new or used, "glue" them on with hair spray and you won't have so many problems in the future. It works great. Go to the "Dollar" store and get the cheap super sticky maximum hold. Spray it on both the handle bars and the EC grip heaters and the inside of the grips. They will be easy to slide one. After they have set up, they will hold very well. Mine have for over a year with absolutely no problems in spite of many rides in the rain. One nice thing is if you don't get the grips on exactly correct or completely they are easy to remove and start over. The compressed air will work to take them off or just a blunt tool worked carefully in from the end and then spray in a little water and you can get them off easily. Try it, you'll like it.
CJ's suggestion is very good for another reason also. The grips are pretty tight with the EC grip heaters underneath, and with the glue you only have once chance and need to be very careful with the elecrical elements, wiring etc. I won't explain how I know! But once you have them installed you should be pleased. I really like Iso Grips and that is the reason that I did not have heated grips previously -- the EC heaters work very well for me!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help.

I checked the tube of Honda Grip glue I have used in the past and it says to use at 77 degrees. It will be July before I could install them at that rate. Think I will try the hair spray

·
Registered
48 Posts
Redwing03,
Go with the hairspray. You will be able to get them off in the future if need be.
I've installed eight sets of grips and always use hair spray with good results.
Karl H.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I must be living under a rock. I didn't know anyone made a heated grip that works with the ISO grip. I'm with Dave; thats why I didn't have heated grips. I just might look into these. Do they work well enough to make them worth it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts