GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried all the non-heated winter riding gloves I care to. The last pair of Olympia's cost me $80 bucks. My hands were still cold after a long ride below 35deg. I do a lot of riding to and from work and I'll ride at 25deg and up. I considered heated gloves but don't really want to deal with the wires. I found a dealer that will let me have a pair of the Honda heated grips at his cost just to clear them out for spring. My question is to those of you that have them, do they do a good job of keeping your whole hand warm or just the palm and fingers? Does the back of your hand or top of your fingers stlll get cold? Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,990 Posts
I used only thin leather gauntlet gloves with the heated grips, down to around 28 degrees and am comforable for short rides, like the kind of rides you get in in the winter when you can. The Honda heated grips do work great and can get very hot. I have only be able to use full power at 30 degrees and below. If I were to go on a long trip in temps below 30 degrees I would go with electric gloves, but for short rides, like riding to work and riding in temps above 30 degrees I love my heated grips. I use them all the time in temps below 50 degrees. Get a set ,you won't be sorry and after you use them awhile you won't want another bike without them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
They work great. The thickness of the leather and the temperature all go in to dictate exactly how hard you hold on. Turn it up and hold tight, your hands will be warm regardless. Fly down the road with only one hand on the bars and the other will be cold!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a pair of Hot Grips gloves I use with the Honda heated grips. The palms are relatively thin, but the back (wind) side of the glove is heavily insulated. They work great with the heated grips and were relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Heated Grips

You are right - they do not heat the back of your hands. What I have noticed is they keep the palms comfortable, and I have gond to a glove that has a thin palm but an insulated back and top of the fingers. Overall, they are very comfortable. But if I get caught in 10 to 15 degree air (night), out come the Gerbings. Then the whole world looks toasty again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I'm sure you all knew that I meant warm the back of your hand and the tops of your fingers THROUGH contact with the grip. :D It sounds like the grips are for me, and it also sounds like I will get use out of them not only in winter weather, but cool nights as well maybe. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
They help eliminate the cold fatigue grip of a cold hand too. Even alone with simple gloves, you will notice the longer distance you ride with them. The other people are not telling the whole truth...I use mine even up to 60 degree nights, with no gloves! Still feels good. ps. foam grips can be added ontop for a thicker grip too $5 cost. Check www.foamtubing.com

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GL03,

I checked out the foam grip site. They look pretty good to me. What model did you install?

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
Heated grips is one of the best things I EVER added to a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Merman, If you don't have them yet get a set of mirror wings from Baker or Tulsa. Getting the wind off of your hands will make a BIG difference in their comfort and warmth.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
mirror wings

Here is another option to use as a windbreaker:

They work pretty well for wind diversion, but not as good as some of the dedicated "wing" air diverters. But the convex mirrors give a lot of added visability, for us trucker types that worry about traffic trying to sneak up on us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts