GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning it was 30° on the way into work. My iWay 500c's screen stopped responding to my input. I cycled the unit's power and the screen started to respond, but slowly. When it worked it took about three seconds to perform the function I selected.

I'm using Jon's skins and I think I have one version shy of the current version. I did update the firmware a couple of months ago.

I'm not sure I'm ready to send it back yet. If I get a chance I will call Lowrance today. If they tell me to send it back I'll probably ask for a refund.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
This isn't actually a Lowrance problem, Rastoff, it's physics. I know of no LCD screen (without prewarming) that will operate correctly in sub-freezing weather. While the unit is on, it will warm itself (too much in the summer! :) ) so you might have to wait a while for it to get to operating temps.

Was the unit outside all the time or did you take it from the warm house to the bike? If you took it from the house, the warmup times should be relatively short if needed at all.

IIRC, Lowrance even has a statement about the cold temps, as do most vendors of LCD screen equipment.

David M.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David M. said:
This isn't actually a Lowrance problem, Rastoff, it's physics.
You know I thought of that as well. However, the problem re-occurred that afternoon when the temp was 65°. I've never had this problem before.

I do usually leave it in the garage or on the bike all the time. That would lead to colder start up temps. Taking it inside may be the solution, but I don't have to like it.:wink:

I haven't heard of this problem from the Garmin units. Please speak up if you have a touch screen model GPS by any manufacturer and it exhibits this issue.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I wish I still had the picture of the night I left my iWay on the roof of my car in the snow... The LCD was a little hard to read at first, but the crystals operate very slowly at those temperatures.

The issue with it flaking out @ 65 deg. means that you've got more than just a physics problem.

I use mine every morning on the way to work, but it's been pretty mild - low-mid 40s - no problem yet (and it sleeps in the garage).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts