GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I lost my keyfob along with the key attached to it, and am using my spare key. Looking for a Honda key online I, found a place that sells them with the fob built into the head, rather than being loose. I assume they have a chip in there, too.

The wing doesn't use a chip in the key (right?) so having it there but not using it wouldn't affecct anything. My question is, if I bought one of the fob/key things could I make it work on my wing? I assume it would program the same way. The FCC ID# is different which is discouraging to start with.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A good locksmith will have a blank for a Wing key. You can have a spare key made. I prefer to not use my fob most of the time (it is way to bulky to carry around). You can save a bunch of money by having a second key made (no chip in the key) and manually unlocking your trunk.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm not an expert on the wings, but in general the FCC ID # needs to match for these to work correctly.

I did find some information on this at http://www.thehubers.net/goldwing/remote.htm which might help.

Sorry I don't know anything on the "all in one" key / fob thing, but if the ID's don't match it doesn't sound encouraging.

jason

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
wbrownell9,
Obtaining another key fob is a piece of cake. They are the same as some Honda Cars. I can't remember which ones at the time. What's most important is the FCC #. If you go on ebay and simply type in that FCC #, you'll come up with many of those exact fobs. At least I did when I was searching for an extra for my bike. The price can be real cheap too. I think I saw them for as little as $10.00 and a couple dollars shipping.

Then, I got lucky. My neighbor is Honda car tech at a local dealership and when I told him what I was doing, he came home the next day with a new one. He didn't even read my owners manual for programming instructions. He had it programmed in about 15 seconds and my cost, a couple of beers. So, don't fret, they're out there if you know where to look. You certainly don't have to go to the dealer and order up a new bike specifically for the Wing, that's some serious coin.
Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts