GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This company has been doing some very interesting things with LED lights. autolumination.com/switchback.html

Has anyone tried these led's? The switchback model could be used in the front turn signal and give off the white light as additional running and amber when used as turnsignal.

What about the load equalizers? Is it better to use the tap into the wire model or change the signal flasher unit? If the flasher unit is changed what model is prefered.

thanks Rich

·
Registered
335 Posts
Your led brake lights look great!
So what are the numbers for the lights that you installed and where did you buy them from
Inquireing minds want to know..

Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been looking at the electronic flasher unit at alternative connections and it looks like they have modified the wiring from some of the earlier post on this board. Is that correct and has anyone successfully used the replacement flasher with led's

Rich

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
The power requirements of the LED's are so significantly smaller than standard lamps that it's hard to NOT have to modify the circuits, or replace the flasher unit.
On my VTX1800C, my stepson replaced the tail and signal lights with a single unit using a PC board and LEDs for both functions. The company is now mailing me the THIRD flasher (again, new and improved, :lol: ). They include an electronic flasher with the tail light unit, but the combination of standard front signals and the new tail signals burns out the flasher.
Over on the VTXOA board, that seems to be a very common topic with many instructions on how to build your own diode and/or resistor kits to fake out the flasher.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The switchbacks won't work in our bikes....heres why:

1. This one is a maybe in the front.....a 7443 bulb has a rounded end. These are squared off. The bulb will hit the lens prior to being seated...at least in the rear housings in the trunk I know it won't work.

2. Diameter. The switchback is a 1" diameter. The older version that was I think a 3/4" that required boring the hole in the front housing.

3. Adding load equalizers is just like adding the incandescent bulbs back...waste of money and creates heat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lewis for the info, but they also have a 32 led bulb that measures 3/4 inches in dia. and 1-3/4 length that comes in red and amber. Should these work? then also what can you recommend as an electronic flasher as a replacement on an 04 1800

thanks Rich

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have replaced all my turn signal and brake lights with the Light TowerII LED replacements. They did not fit the socket so I had to file away a little plastic on the bulb base. I used one of their electronic flashers also. I am very happy with the results. Filing the base of the bulb will void any warranty so this may not be for everybody. The front turn signal housings have a smaller bulb receptical so I had to make the hole a little larger for the LED bulb to fit.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts