GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gary Nixon 1941-2011
He is now racing on The Big Track in The Sky

RIP Gary. Godspeed

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Very sad.

Way back in 1968 when they first had short track races in the Houston Astodome (the next year they included TT as well) me and my Nikormat camera spent two days there. Got to meet and get the autographs many of the big names back then. Nixon, Sammy Tanner, Gene Romero, Cal Rayborn, Bart Markel, Dick Mann and quite a few others.

Since it was a short track race, all the machines were limited to 250cc. Nixon's bike was a Triumph pushrod single that was making maybe 30 horsepower. He was up against more powerful Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki twins as well as the hot Spanish two strokes of the day. It did not matter. Nixon pushed that little hardtailed bike to the absolute limit, and that was all it took for him to be the winner that day. He showed everyone that night just why it was that his bike wore the number one plate.

There have been many a great racer, but not too many like Gary Nixon. Flat tracker as well as a champion road racer he was the man to beat back then.

Good memories, Gary! Thank you for them all.

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Another hero bites the dust. Always enjoyed everything about Gary Nixon in the day. He was a real competitor.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Hate to hear that. I sure enjoyed watching him race back in his days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts