GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the kuryakyn luggage rack with the risers and I was wondering how hard is it to install it myself. I have read some post where some have used star washers. how many star washer would I need and where would they be placed.. I was also wondering if a fender washer would help with support and strength.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You won't need the star washers with the risers, they have a wide base already.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Thing is... if the bolt holes are not drilled so the bolts do not hit the edges of the holes, it is definitely gonna crack the lid. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Place masking tape on the trunk lid, place the rack where you want it, mark the locations of the "legs" on the rack and drill your holes. I believe some rack installations suggest you drill through the inner liner also, but I did not install mine this way. I used the Kury risers, drilled through the trunk lid only, then put the star washers (with rubber inserts) on the bottom of the lid and installed the mounting bolts. If you don't want to get the washers from Wingstuff, you can use rubber washers and fender washers from the hardware store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts