GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick note from another new guy. :popcorn:

I switched off a 2006 ST1300 late last fall to a 2008 Dark Red ABS Wing. Before that, I put 100,000 miles on a BMW R100RT. I only got to put about 3000 miles on the Wing before I had to put it up for the winter so I don't have a lot of experience with it and the mods haven't started yet. :22yikes:

I did a 2500 mile trip up thru Nova Scotia late last August on the ST and that trip was enough to convince me that I needed a more comfortable bike - LOL. After spending 2 weeks in the saddle, the ST lost a lot of it's appeal. Now, don't get me wrong, the ST is a great bike, but at my age I'm begining to value comfort and convienence more than I do out and out performance.

So for this year I'm putting together a 2 week trip up thru the Gaspe and PEI with the same group I did Nova Scotia with, so I'll get to see how the Wing compares. With what little riding I got to do on it before the snow started, I have high hopes for it.

I'm sort of sorry now I didn't wait for the 2009's to get the direct IPod plug in and that neat yellow color, but the dealer was willing to work with me both on my trade in of the ST and the base price of the Wing, so I got too good a deal on the 2008 to pass it up.

Well, just thought I drop a line, say Hi, and introduce myself.

Steve

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Steve,
Welcome to the board :biggrin: !
You made a good choice in the Wing :yes1: !

·
Registered
818 Posts
Welcome to the Board

Hope your weather breaks soon. You will find the Wing DOES have performance. Just a big crotch rocket with extra tupperware. Crank it up and you will get the same smile as you did with the ST. Spend your winter thawing out and scanning the "Goodie" catalogs.Many extras to choose from, some good and some not. Only you can decide. Try to attend a rally or bike night somewhere and observe other bikes and acessories before you spend $$$$$. Ask questions of the owners and it will prove to be time well spent.

Se you on the road.

·
Registered
128 Posts
new wing

:congrats: on your new bike. I hope you have lots of happy miles on your new goldwing. Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good information here.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Welcome to the boards, Steve!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome to the board Steve.

I, too, moved from an 06 ST1300A to an 08 Black GL ABS after putting 40,000 miles on the ST in 18 months. I got tired of trying seats, grips, risers, and butt pads to find long range comfort.

I do miss the ST but the wing is a fantastic ride. Even with the stock seat, it's a better ride than the ST ever was. I found no problems with the seating position [probably because it's a lot like sport tourers in general].

I really miss the performance, handling, powered windshield, and trip computer the ST had. I like the cruise control, weather protection, and comfort of the GL so I guess it's a wash.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Welcome to the board and welcome to the world of the Goldwing. You are gona love it. My wife and I sure do.

It sounds like you are a great candidate for a road trip to Alaska. Give a holler if you ever come up this way!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Welcome!! I love the Nova Scotia,PEI area. I am hoping for Newfoundland but I don't know when I will be able to swing it.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Welcome

There are lots of good bikes out there

I really think the Wing is the best tourer

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the board Steve.

I, too, moved from an 06 ST1300A to an 08 Black GL ABS after putting 40,000 miles on the ST in 18 months. I got tired of trying seats, grips, risers, and butt pads to find long range comfort.

I do miss the ST but the wing is a fantastic ride. Even with the stock seat, it's a better ride than the ST ever was. I found no problems with the seating position [probably because it's a lot like sport tourers in general].

I really miss the performance, handling, powered windshield, and trip computer the ST had. I like the cruise control, weather protection, and comfort of the GL so I guess it's a wash.
Sounds like we went the same route. Handlebar risers, 3 seats, wiring in an aux plug, highway pegs, and I still couldn't find that "comfort zone" for those long trips. Add to the fact that I have a 30" inseam and was always nervous about reaching the ground on every stop and that trip pushed me over the tripping point.

I'll know if it was the right decesion after this season - :bow:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the boards, Steve!
Hey stearman, you're just around the corner (so to speak). New England sure is a great place to be a biker, isn't it :yes1:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the board and welcome to the world of the Goldwing. You are gona love it. My wife and I sure do.

It sounds like you are a great candidate for a road trip to Alaska. Give a holler if you ever come up this way!
Sure will. I used to fly in and out of Elemdorf all the time. Great country you got up there. I used to try to get as much time there as I could. Maybe in a couple of years after I retire - I'll need something to keep me busy :capwin:

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm sort of sorry now I didn't wait for the 2009's to get the direct IPod plug in and that neat yellow color, but the dealer was willing to work with me both on my trade in of the ST and the base price of the Wing, so I got too good a deal on the 2008 to pass it up.

Well, just thought I drop a line, say Hi, and introduce myself.

Steve
Welcome Steve. The 09's have the same auxiliary hookup that every GL1800 has had since the 01 GL1800.
So you are not missing anything in that regard.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome Steve

Steve,

Welcome to the board. If you haven't heard/found info on Cats-Cade, you might want to check that out for a good meet & great just a day's ride away from you and on a weekend.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts