GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you use your suspension settings? With my previous bike, I didn't really notice a difference, so I'd set it to 10 when riding solo and to 20 when going two up. I then used the memo functions for these two settings. With no other input, I guess I'll do the same with the new bike. How is your suspension setting's set?

J.D.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I set it at 10 for in town and 25 for in the mountains and twisties, I always ride 1 up.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
+3 - 95% of the time.

If I am solo and laying down lots of slab then I set it for about 12-15. This is rare :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Initially I had it pretty low. Then I cranked it up to 18 and liked that. Recently I put it to max to help get it up on the centerstand and I've left it there, seems good to me (riding solo).

Ken

·
Registered
888 Posts
With the motorcycle loaded and on the suspension (i.e. not on either stand) I like to have the suspension sag about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total travel. Rear travel is about 4.1 inch, so I want sag measured at the rear wheel to be about 1.25 inches. For me, that corresponds to a setting of 0 for me (solo) and 17 for 2 up with baggage.
My rear spring is a Traxxion 1100 lb. I was not able to get the sag that low for 2 up with the stock spring (900 lb).

Here is a link to Fred Harmon's handy dandy "Sag Gauge":
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums//showthread.php?t=129206

Ron Fuller

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Mine is at 15 two up 90% of the time and we aren't lightweights. Works fine for us.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
You should have searched this forum for previous posts on this subject. It comes up about every two weeks! And I still say . . . it is useless to suggest a setting unless you know where your hydraulic actuator really begins to engage. There's lots of variation, even on new bikes, so you need to evaluate your suspension system to see at what number it actually begins to work so you know how much pre-load is really being applied.

Go here for help: http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/reservoirfill.htm

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Probably the wisest man to post on this forum (Tom Finch) explained some time ago the design of the Wings rear suspension why the preload should be set on 25 and left there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts