GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been beaten to death...But, who can tell me about the api ratings for bike oils. My 1800 honda oil has a SJ rating. My wife's bike is a suzuki and the rating recommendation is SF or SG. I went to walmart to see what thay had and most auto oils sold there are SL SM or something else. So, do I have to go to the local dealer and pay double for special oil? What do others do? :?:

·
Registered
338 Posts
In my opinion its worth the extra expense to use motorcycle specific oil. I use GN4 from Honda, I think its 2.99 a quart.

·
Registered
16,928 Posts
Ratings are upgraded over time. As the oil "grades" are improved the latter versions cover the earlier spec of the same class. "S", I believe is for "spark" or gasoline engines and "C" is for compression or diesel applications. The J is ordinal by the alphabet, thus J is better than H and L is better than J and so on, so X will work too when it comes out in about 10 years. Buy a quality oil that meets or exceeds the specifiction of Honda and avoid high moly concentrations such as is found in Energy Conserving oils. Oils blended to work well in transmissions and wet clutches are a plus and the Diesel rated oils generally have that covered well. Shell Rotella Synthetic, several of the Mobil One synthetics, and many others meet the need.

prs

·
Registered
501 Posts
I switched from Mobil 1 to Amsol
Big difference, shifting went from clunky to smooooth even after 4000Mi
(my wife even asked me if I was shifting different !!!, the same wife that drove home on a flat tire & didn't know it)
Cold starts are much quieter
Never thought there was much difference in oils, but I am convinced
Just buy a case from Bulldog, if you send him a PM he will even send the crush washers.
Mobil 1 motorcycle spec is getting very hard to find, most places only stock a little if any.

W

·
0 Posts
Dr Detail said:
In my opinion its worth the extra expense to use motorcycle specific oil. I use GN4 from Honda, I think its 2.99 a quart.
Yup....some great advice here........Honda can't argue on this oil if there's a engine warrenty claim.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
API classification

SG or higher except oils labeled as energy conserving on the circular API service label

viscosity (weight)
SAE 10W-40

Or
��
JASO T 903 standard
MA
Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (without molybdenum additives) 4-stroke oil (USA
& Canada), or Honda 4-stroke oil (Canada only), or an equivalent motorcycle oil.

Another place in manual it states:
API Service Classification SG or higher except oils labeled
as energy conserving on the circular API service label,
SAE 10W-40, JASO T 903 standard MA,
Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (without molybdenum additives)
4-stroke oil or equivalent

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
S is for Service Classification, C is for Commercial Classification

SH- For 1994 Gasoline Engine Service
Classification SH was adopted in 1992 and recommended for gasoline engines in passenger cars and light trucks starting in 1993 model year. This category supercedes the performance requirements of API SG specification for 1989-1992 models, which is now obsolete. Applications that call for an API service classification SG can use the SH specification. The specification addresses issues with deposit control, oxidation, corrosion, rust and wear and replaces.

SJ- For 1997 Gasoline Engine Service
Classification SJ was adopted in 1996 and recommended for gasoline engines in passenger cars and light trucks starting in 1997 model year. Applications specifying API SH can use the newer API SJ service classification. Note that where applicable certain letters in the sequence will be skipped to prevent confusion with other standards. In this case, SI was skipped since industrial oils are currently rated according to SI classifications.

SL- For 2001 Gasoline Engine Service
Recommended for gasoline engines in passenger cars and light trucks starting in July 2001. SL oils are engineered to provide improved high temperature deposit control and lower oil consumption. Applications specifying API SJ can use the new API SL service classification. Note that some SL rated oils may also meet the latest ILSAC specification and/or qualify as energy conserving. SL is the latest specification.

SM- For 2004 and newer Gasoline Engine Service Automotive Engines (Current Spec)
This specification was introduced in Nov. 2004. SM oils are engineered to provide improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit and wear protection and improved low temperature performance. Note that some SM rated motor oils may also meet the current ILSAC specification.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts