GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a faithful lurker on this site for quite some time gleaning information about the leap to the DS. I have purchased my tire and a spare rim that I will get mounted and installed in about a month. I live in Alaska and keep my bike currently in Oregon, so I have to wait until I take another trip to make it all happen. After reading many many posts, I chose the Michelin Alpin ZP as a good choice for a first timer. I will be doing a mix of slab and twisties that will be weighted somewhat heaver on the slab. I have also purchased a TPMS system and greatly see the wisdom of using it with the RF tire. I will be also trying the dyna beads. I don't have any doubts with what I'm doing, all you regular posters here have done a great job of providing the details and going this route seems the most logical for the following reasons:
  • Safety of a runflat (biggest selling point)
  • Extra load rating
  • Better ride (this is often reported, I haven't experienced it yet...)
  • Repairable with a plug in a pinch on the road
  • Lower purchase price
  • Tire lasts much longer
  • Satisfies the rebel in me to be a little different :twisted:
  • Lots of Free Cookies!!!!!

Anyway, I wanted to thank all the folks here for the patient coaching for all those that are interested in doing something different. It will be about a month before I can truly be a "darksider" since I won't have it on the bike until then. I'll post a few lines letting everybody know my impression of this setup at that time. I doubt I will have anything to add to what I've read many times on this forum, but maybe it will be helpful to someone else considering this tire.

I also wanted to mention that I have also perused a number of other sites to see if other groups have substantially different information. I found that for the most part the info (recommended tires, pressures, balancing, TPMS) is very much the same. This site however has the most dedicated and helpful core group. :bow::bow::bow:

I'm eager to get it on and give it a whirl.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Welcome to the DS! I can't wait to hear your ride report. Enjoy! :thumbup:

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside Frozenwing!! I see you have really done your homework!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,379 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Over thinking

Welcome to the Darkside Frozenwing!! I see you have really done your homework!!:thumbup:
I tend to over think things, it makes it easy and fun when it's on this forum, you guys have a ball with this and it's fun reading.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
WELCOME TO DS. YOU HAVE GREAT RIDING AREA UP THERE = OREGON / ALASKA :thumbup::thumbup: POSTCARD PERFECT VIEWS

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stickers & Number

Welcome to the Darkside. I see Murgie has already PM'd you for a number, if you are interested in DS decals here's the info: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?415058-DARKSIDE-DECALS-and-STICKERS-GET-THEM-HERE-INFO

And welcome to many miles of smiles.
Thanks,
Got the number, and ordered up some DS stickers.
I'm sure I'll be answering some questions when my brother sees what I've been up to.:doorag: We've talked about this some in the past, I'll have to let him take it for a ride and check it out for himself (surely the most convincing way to evaluate).

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
frozenwing, I researched the "CT" thing for awhile also and I started with the Alpin also. I ran mine at 30 PSI and got 24,000 out of it and still hadn't hit the wear bars. I replaced it "just in case" for an upcoming trip. I do more slab than twisties and don't consider myself an aggressive rider. Many happy s(miles) to you!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome, I have been running that tire since last summer and love it. Ride safe. :thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
frozenwing, I researched the "CT" thing for awhile also and I started with the Alpin also. I ran mine at 30 PSI and got 24,000 out of it and still hadn't hit the wear bars. I replaced it "just in case" for an upcoming trip. I do more slab than twisties and don't consider myself an aggressive rider. Many happy s(miles) to you!
Replied to your PM
Thanks for the milage information and the recommended pressure. I really do like the long running aspect of DS. I'm just getting back into riding after many years without a bike. I don't think my skills on this one is up to the road burning rate of some, but I sure like the way this monster handles and I can see why so many people ride it.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats: And welcome to the Darkside!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
DS

I just went to the DS last weekend with the same tire. I put 200 miles on the new tire and was very impressed with the ride.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Dust

WELCOME to the Darkside. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just went to the DS last weekend with the same tire. I put 200 miles on the new tire and was very impressed with the ride.

I'm looking forward to that part. Many have mentioned an improved ride. I will be doing a good mix of freeway and twisty back roads to test it out. I'll start at around 30 psi and see how it rides and performs with some small adjustments. My son and I will be riding for about a week, so it should be a pretty thorough test. I should be riding by around the 17th if everything goes as planned.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just went darkside myself. Researching TPMS and your thread came up. I love my tire and went with the Yokohama non RF. What TPMS did you go with? What is others advice on this? I am researching right now.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Hey Frozenwing
I am planning an Alaska ride next summer . I could be easily talked into delivering your share of Darkside cookies at that time . When it gets closer I will contact ya . Welcome and enjoy the safer smoother ride .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just went darkside myself. Researching TPMS and your thread came up. I love my tire and went with the Yokohama non RF. What TPMS did you go with? What is others advice on this? I am researching right now.

I bought this this one from a Chinese website. It may have been aliexpress.com It is the small transmitter that screws to the valve stem style and uses a small "remote" unit to read the values. It gives temp and pressure. I plan to Velcro it to the dash somewhere. When I mount my DS tire I will use metal style valve stem to minimize the chance of damage due to flexing with this on it. (I think this is unlikely, but it's cheap to do) one of the "selling points is replaceable batteries in the transmitter unit. Some don't have this feature and you would have to acquire a new one for significantly more $$$ than the watch battery. I haven't used it yet so I don't have anything to report on functionality.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
}
Well it looks like the pictures I tried to post didn't make it.... I did some looking and here is the link to the site where I paid $116.00 for this item. It took about 4 weeks for it to arrive (free shipping) I am not in a hurry since I have to wait for a while to get to my bike anyway. Here is the link: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeshipping-Motorcycle-tpms-2-external-sensors-PSI-BAR-display-waterproof-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system/1662139096.html

If for some reason the link doesn't get you there, google TPMS Model No: MB-2N

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Frozenwing
I am planning an Alaska ride next summer . I could be easily talked into delivering your share of Darkside cookies at that time . When it gets closer I will contact ya . Welcome and enjoy the safer smoother ride .
Wow, I'm feeling pretty special :lol::lol::lol:, my lurking on this site has taught me that the famous DS cookies are acquired by coming to your place with about a week notice.... Somehow I rate special delivery and not just any delivery, my quick calculation for the shortest route is 3,486.2 mi, 57 hr 51 min driving time. Of course the driving time may shrink some...:joke::joke:Now that is what I call service!!! By all means, let me know what your plans look like and who knows, I may try to tag along (if I can keep up) and be the "guardian" of the cookies... I am willing to bet that this would be a record for the longest cookie delivery!!! :bow::bow:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought this this one from a Chinese website. It may have been aliexpress.com It is the small transmitter that screws to the valve stem style and uses a small "remote" unit to read the values. It gives temp and pressure. I plan to Velcro it to the dash somewhere. When I mount my DS tire I will use metal style valve stem to minimize the chance of damage due to flexing with this on it. (I think this is unlikely, but it's cheap to do) one of the "selling points is replaceable batteries in the transmitter unit. Some don't have this feature and you would have to acquire a new one for significantly more $$$ than the watch battery. I haven't used it yet so I don't have anything to report on functionality.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
}
Well it looks like the pictures I tried to post didn't make it.... I did some looking and here is the link to the site where I paid $116.00 for this item. It took about 4 weeks for it to arrive (free shipping) I am not in a hurry since I have to wait for a while to get to my bike anyway. Here is the link: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeshipping-Motorcycle-tpms-2-external-sensors-PSI-BAR-display-waterproof-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system/1662139096.html

If for some reason the link doesn't get you there, google TPMS Model No: MB-2N

Thank you for the info. I am researching several and never saw this one. Didn't like Doran and the need to change the whole sensor when batteries are done.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts