GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Nice, but - no viewfinder, no sale to me. Near vision is fading fast, and I don't want to get out the reading glasses every time I want to take a quick shot. Cameras with optical viewfinders don't require that. They are getting few and far between now, but I expect the companies to wake up to the mass of baby boomers getting that problem. I have an old Sony that will have to do for now.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I just bought a Canon S95 for a trip to Italy. Nice and small, but no viewfinder. The SX230 was tempting.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, but - no viewfinder, no sale to me. Near vision is fading fast, and I don't want to get out the reading glasses every time I want to take a quick shot. Cameras with optical viewfinders don't require that. They are getting few and far between now, but I expect the companies to wake up to the mass of baby boomers getting that problem. I have an old Sony that will have to do for now.
You may want to check out the Panasonic LX5. I saw it at B&H Photo in NYC when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Very cool and they make an optional electronic viewfinder that plugs into the Hot Shoe:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...dels/model.DMC-LX5W_11002_7000000000000005702

·
Registered
396 Posts
I like the geotagging of the SX230, but no peephole rules it out.

After using the geotagging function on my phone, I've got to have it on my next camera. It, for me, helps solve one of the main problems with digital photos. You take too many pictures to keep up with, and in effect have no pictures, because I can't find 'that one'.

I put my card from the phone into an Android tablet and sort my location, and bam, there they are by town. I like that. However, the quality of the photos taken with the phone aren't very good.

waitin' on a peephole geotagger for under $200, w/good multiple optical zoom - ??

..louie

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Nowadays it is becoming harder to find a P&S camera with a viewfinder.

I was reading an article in TWICE magazine a couple of months ago that said eliminating viewfinders is the trend in point and shoot cameras. (TWICE is the Consumer Electronics Industry Trade magazine.) It is being done for both cost and size. Also, improvements in picture quality of smart phones is making a big dent in P&S sales, so they have to keep the cost down. For general photography, people are more apt to just use the phone that is in their pocket than look for the camera. In fact, the high quality video that many P&S cameras now offer is about the only thing saving the segment right now.

Even my new Sony Nex-3, which is a $500 hybrid camera, does not come with a built in viewfinder. You have to buy it as an expensive add-on that plugs into the hotshoe.

Baby Boomers are unfortunately not the target market for consumer electronics gadgets.

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
Lots of good cameras out there. It is nice to have such a wide range of choices

·
Registered
281 Posts
Camera

I just bought a Canon Power Shot ELPH 300 HS 3 a small powerful camera 12mpg ex HD movies can play back in slo mo HDMI port, good battery life,ex picture quality for me a no brainier,VERY positve reviews.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have had this camera for a couple of months and love it. It has full 1080P video which I love, a 3 inch LCD and a 14 times zoom. Photography is a huge hobby for me and I have gone through many point and shoot cameras. I take this camera everywhere I go both on the bike and the car and see no reason to even look at something else. I do use a GoPro for bike videos so I am not using this camera for that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is anyone using a Panasonic fz100 or a Nikon Coolpix 500?

Neither are pocket cameras but both offer tremendous versatility and ability to take photo's with more detail. Just curious because I currently take a Cannon 1400is which is a great and small camera but continue to be dissatisfied with the resulting photos so I'm in the market for a camera that provides better results. I've seen posted photo's from a member of this board taken with a small Nikon Coolpix(not the bigger 500) and they seemed to be really great photo's. Maybe it's the operator!

Dan Forker

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just bought a Canon Power Shot ELPH 300 HS 3 a small powerful camera 12mpg ex HD movies can play back in slo mo HDMI port, good battery life,ex picture quality for me a no brainier,VERY positve reviews.

Polly, I've looked at this camera on the net and have a question about it. I have an ELPH SD 1000 that I like very well, but I'm looking for something with a little more zoom and pixels to replace it. The thing I hate about the SD1000 is that the default position of the flash is to be on. Everytime I turn it on, the flash is on and I have to turn it off. On the 300 HS, does the flash stay off until you turn it on?

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is anyone using a Panasonic fz100 or a Nikon Coolpix 500?

Neither are pocket cameras but both offer tremendous versatility and ability to take photo's with more detail. Just curious because I currently take a Cannon 1400is which is a great and small camera but continue to be dissatisfied with the resulting photos so I'm in the market for a camera that provides better results. I've seen posted photo's from a member of this board taken with a small Nikon Coolpix(not the bigger 500) and they seemed to be really great photo's. Maybe it's the operator!

Dan Forker
Dan,

Here is our review of the FZ100:

http://www.cruisereport.com/crNews.aspx?id=1504

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDDjMsoAAEg

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
My newest point and shoot (since April) is the Canon PowerShot ELPHS 500HS. No viewfinder and operation is mostly touch screen, but I absolutely love this camera. The screen is large and bright, great for my old eyes. The still picture quality is exceptional in my opinion. And the HD video quality is also exceptional. This camera and the newer technology makes me want to go and get one of the newer Canon SLR cameras as my SLR is getting old. Maybe Santa will hear my calls!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Polly, I've looked at this camera on the net and have a question about it. I have an ELPH SD 1000 that I like very well, but I'm looking for something with a little more zoom and pixels to replace it. The thing I hate about the SD1000 is that the default position of the flash is to be on. Everytime I turn it on, the flash is on and I have to turn it off. On the 300 HS, does the flash stay off until you turn it on?
On my 500HS I have it set so that in the automatic mode the flash is "off" (can easily switch to automatic also) and in the "program" mode the flash is always on, good for flash-fill. I can easily change all/any of the settings on the fly, but just changing this one switch is very convenient for me.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I just bought a Nikon coolpix S4100 for our cruise to Alaska. It is a great pocket camera. Fast on-ready to shoot. Fast between pics!! 14 megapix. Records vid. great battery life. Its a good one. We shot lots of pics and they are great!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts