GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Left hand - handlebar
Right hand - passenger grab rail
Right foot - center stand

Push the stand down into position; use both hands to ensure the stand is touching the ground on both sides (rock it side to side just a little to make sure).

Step up onto the stand's footrest and let your weight push the stand down. Use your hands to steady the bike as it goes up. You don't need to "pull" the bike up; it will go up with just your weight on the stand.

The wing at 900 pounds goes up easier than my 700 pound Connie.

In anticipation of your next question on how do you get it back down...
Sit on the bike with the bike in neutral. Rock the bike back and then forward. As you feel it come down off the stand apply your front brake (make sure you have both feet on the ground).

·
Registered
758 Posts
How do I get the bike up on the center stand? Is it hard to do?

I'm assuming you haven't done it before??????

If that's the case, I strongly suggest you wear some hard soled shoes/boots, NOT sneakers or sandals.................AND, if this is the first time, PLEASE get someone to spot you and help...........JUST IN CASE!

It's not hard but can be challenging if you don't have the mass/weight to do it properly.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Make sure you have the front tire pointing straight...most of the
body weight should go through your heel on the stand. Lift hard on grab bar.
It is scary the first time but after a few trys it is pretty easy!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Try wearing a pair of boots with a steel shank in the sole...that makes it easier to get the hang of getting all your weight on to the stand.

Now I can do it in flip flops, but work boots were a great learning tool.

Also I leave the kick stand down, just in case I lose my grip or something. And as CruiseControl notes, starting on the kick stand lets you get all situated without having to hld the bike up.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I lost my grip years ago but can still get it up!! :yes1:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The Secred for Getting a Goldwing on the Stand

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet so: You start off by putting the bike on the kickstand. Crazy, I know, since you want to end up on the center stand, but it works. Put the bike on the side stand while you are on the bike--like normal. Get off the bike. With heavy soled shoes or boots and your left hand on the left handle bar grip (already covered), and with the bike still on the side stand, push down on the center stand till the left side of the center stand touches the ground

NOW you know where you are at! :congrats:

(You'll see the second and third guys in the video start with the bike on the side stand.) So, keep holding the center stand down with your foot, and rock the bike away from you until both feet of the center stand are touching the ground. Let the bike settle on Both center stand feet. Now you can push down on the center stand and pull up on the passenger grab rail.

The bike bruiser should pop right up. I did it first time I tried it in the showroom, surrounded by other bikes, wearing sneakers (not recommended--ouch!). Good luck.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Who was that guy with that chromed out Yellow Wing? Probably never rides it. :roll: Probably trailered it there.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you do have to "pull up" on the bike some while standing on the center stand to get it to go into position. The guy in the video thinks he just "stands up" and the bike goes into position, not realizing he is pulling up on the bike when he stands up. He's standing on the stand with a bent knee, then straightens up his knee and thinks that action alone causes the bike to go into position on the stand. It can't... if he were just standing on the stand without holding the bike and "straightened up", the amount of force on on the stand's handle doesn't change.

This is demonstrated by the next guy who tries to do what he teaches to do and this guy doesn't pull up some on the bike, and as a result, nothing happens.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
As someone mentioned, start from bike being on the side stand. Then as you push down on the centerstand with your foot --- as the centerstand starts to hit the ground, you can rock the bike away from you (pushing it upright) until the second pad of the centerstand hits the ground. that way you know that as you are going up, you know the bike is upright.

Did that make any sense??

1 - 20 of 35 Posts