GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man jailed for Britain's first "web-rage" attack
Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:26am ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A British man convicted of what has been described as the country's first "web-rage" attack, was jailed for 2-1/2 years on Friday for assaulting a man he had exchanged insults with over the Internet.

Paul Gibbons, 47, from south London, admitted he had attacked John Jones in December 2005 after months of exchanging abuse with him via an Internet chatroom dedicated to discussing Islam.

The Old Bailey heard that Gibbons had "taken exception" to Jones, 43, after he had made the claim that Gibbons had been "interfering with children".

After several more verbal and written exchanges -- with Jones threatening to track him down and give him a severe beating -- Gibbons and a friend went to his victim's house in Essex, armed with a pickaxe and machete.

Jones himself was armed with a knife but Gibbons took it off him, held it to his throat and "scratched" him across the neck.

Gibbons, who the court heard had previous convictions for violence, admitted unlawful wounding on the first day of his trial last month.

Other charges of attempted murder and issuing online threats to kill four other chatroom users were not pursued but could be reactivated in future if he reoffends.

Media reports said it was the country's first case of "web-rage" and Judge Richard Hawkins described the circumstances as "unusual".

"This case highlights the dangers of Internet chat rooms, particularly with regards to giving personal details that will allow other users to discover home addresses," said Detective Sergeant Jean-Marc Bazzoni of Essex Police.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Man jailed for Britain's first "web-rage" attack
Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:26am ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A British man convicted of what has been described as the country's first "web-rage" attack, was jailed for 2-1/2 years on Friday for assaulting a man he had exchanged insults with over the Internet.

Paul Gibbons, 47, from south London, admitted he had attacked John Jones in December 2005 after months of exchanging abuse with him via an Internet chatroom dedicated to discussing Islam.

The Old Bailey heard that Gibbons had "taken exception" to Jones, 43, after he had made the claim that Gibbons had been "interfering with children".

After several more verbal and written exchanges -- with Jones threatening to track him down and give him a severe beating -- Gibbons and a friend went to his victim's house in Essex, armed with a pickaxe and machete.

Jones himself was armed with a knife but Gibbons took it off him, held it to his throat and "scratched" him across the neck.

Gibbons, who the court heard had previous convictions for violence, admitted unlawful wounding on the first day of his trial last month.

Other charges of attempted murder and issuing online threats to kill four other chatroom users were not pursued but could be reactivated in future if he reoffends.

Media reports said it was the country's first case of "web-rage" and Judge Richard Hawkins described the circumstances as "unusual".

"This case highlights the dangers of Internet chat rooms, particularly with regards to giving personal details that will allow other users to discover home addresses," said Detective Sergeant Jean-Marc Bazzoni of Essex Police.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Geeze,
I had better watch my back!!! LOL :? :rat:

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Matt(Ashland said:
Geeze,
I had better watch my back!!! LOL :? :rat:

Matt(Ashland,MA)
Ya'll better keep your angry friends in check too, they look like trouble!!! :lol:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I thought this behavior was the way we drive down the Interstate..... :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Now you know why I act so civil on here :lol:

JMHO 8)

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
I'd better be sure I'm nice to Brobubba, TonyB, sandcrab2, Redneck Dave, dicepilot and wingit.......they all know where I live.

Oh, and I'd better not forget Rich and Becky......they used to live in my town and could find me really easy. That Becky is a mean one. :D :D

Wishing all of my brothers and sisters on this board a great weekend, Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.

There.....that should quell any thoughts of web rage! Whew!

:lol: :lol:

Bob E.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Civiity

...............WOW, This should be posted on the GWRRA general message board. Talk about not being civil..................

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
robeth said:
I'd better be sure I'm nice to Brobubba, TonyB, sandcrab2, Redneck Dave, dicepilot and wingit.......they all know where I live.

Oh, and I'd better not forget Rich and Becky......they used to live in my town and could find me really easy. That Becky is a mean one. :D :D

Wishing all of my brothers and sisters on this board a great weekend, Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.

There.....that should quell any thoughts of web rage! Whew!

:lol: :lol:

Bob E.
Mean??? I'll SHOW you mean! I'm a pretty scary character, Bob.

All jokes aside, Hal makes a good point. The Internet does not provide complete anonymity, and if someone wants to find you badly enough, he will find you.

Mean Becky :evil:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Well, I'd like to know what "lawful wounding" is?

When a chat room or forum becomes the center of someone's world, that is a problem.

As for GWRRA - I don't even bother with the "general" topic any longer - too many narrow minded people saying the same thing over and over again. Kind of like my mother-in-law!

Good job Hal!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aw jeez, wed-rage?
Here come the do-gooders and more stupid laws for all of us because a few are stupid. Doesn't anyone teach the "sticks and stones" to people anymore?
Unreal but totally believable stuff.

Pat

·
Registered
601 Posts
Rich & Becky said:
Mean Becky :evil:
True, True, oh so True ....

J/K Becky

I will return to the chat room sometime, when I have time ...
seems like its been months...

Take Care, and BE NICE

Ride Safely 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts